Batteries you run (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys. There are a lot of theads with dual battery set ups which are great and I got a lot of great info on many of them. I am currently in the process of doing a dual battery set up for some camping accesories I need. So I am getting set up with another auxiliary battery. I will probably run the NL system but was wondering what everyone recommends for a deep cycle second battery? I would love an optima but can't spend that kind of money now. Also do I necessarily need to run the same brand and same type of battery for the start and the second? Final question is battery tray. Is the stainless tray with the relocation of the coolant overflow worth the money? Thanks for all the help. :bang::beer:

X2 Power battery
60 month free replacement warranty
Pro rated after 5 years
10% off right now online with pickup at store.
You can get them at Batteries Plus

SLI24FAGMDP - X2Power Premium AGM BCI Group 24F Car and Truck Battery at Batteries Plus Bulbs

5889B956-965C-42AD-BC97-F5896DA207E7.png

X2 Power battery
60 month free replacement warranty
Pro rated after 5 years
10% off right now online with pickup at store.
You can get them at Batteries Plus
Which one were you looking at Jason? The 27? Dam these are spendy too :frown:

Normal lead batteries are basically all the same, except for the pretty packaging and the warranties.

My choice was the biggest generic one year warranty battery at Walmart. 64 series, I think, with 670 cranking amps. Literally $50. Buy four for the cost of one pretty battery.

And I’ve never used a battery warranty.

So my main battery is an Odyssey battery, My second battery is a Sears Platinum Marine battery, I have had that for some time and still holding strong.
But really, if you are on a budget, then any marine/ RV battery (lead acid) is fine for the second battery. Something like a Deka Deep Cycle Marine battery.

Always for the primary get something that is of good quality.

My vote:
Get a commonly available wet cell deep cycle Group 27 sized battery for the second battery.
Usually the 2nd battery is used for accessories during camping that will run it way low but not require lots of amps while running (perfect for a deep cycle).

Get the wet cell because you can then connect it in parallel to the main battery (after starting the engine) and let it charge at high temperatures all day long & not hurt it.

Get deep cycle cuz that's what you'll do to it.

Get Group 27 size because that's the size that fits perfectly in that spot.

AGMs are nice and have higher cranking amps (you can really tell when cranking the engine off an AGM) but their price for just deep cycle accessories is expensive.

I have been buying Interstate wet batteries for all of my stuff at Costco, since Costco dropped their own name brand. Good quality and great prices. Die Hard Platinum are gone (as well as Sears it looks like), Optima is supposed to be moving back to the US and quality may improve but I agree they are not what they once were. I really like the battery @Hojack has listed there. Looks like a good investment for an AGM. If you have the wallet and the space, the group 31 (gigantic) battery from them has dual posts too which is sweet.
SLI31AGMDPM - X2Power Premium AGM Dual Purpose (Starting/Cycling) Battery for Deep Cycle BCI Group 31M Marine and Boat at Batteries Plus Bulbs

If you put a regular wet lead-acid battery on a trickle charger, it can be made to last nearly forever. I have all my trucks (those less-often driven) on trickle chargers, and get impressive battery life. A Harbor Freight $4.99-on-sale trickle charger (500ma) works great, or you can get a Battery Tender for $39.95, if you like that route.

These do not fit in stock form ( post makes contact with the hood on pass side) at least that was/is my experience.

With that said....you can gently rid off those huge terminals for a lower profile.....
Dont know how this may or may not affect warraty.

terminal.png

Group_31.png

To the OP
Whatever battery you go with make sure you get a quality smart battery charger....
This will go a long way at making your batteries last for a long time....

Know...
AGM batteries are great in the sense that these are maintenance free items, but $$$
Flooded or wet cell need to be serviced (keep an eye on the water levels), but hold a very good rate of charge for the price they sell...

Last edited:
I have been using an X2 Power battery for a couple years now. I will buy another for my other Cruiser when the time comes. Get a group 27F for the 60. They are a well made battery.

Well now that we have had our first cold snap I think my battery is slowly dying. First crank in the morning, around the 20s, she is real slow to crank. Something that I noticed prior to our trip last week however the cold snap seems to have made it a little worse. Now I am contemplating replacing my 5yr old with a larger Interstate. Would love to have one of the ones that has the dual connections as it would allow for routing of primary cables and then secondary for stuff like lights, radio, etc. that are plugged into a small BlueSeas system.

Batteries Plus also sells Duracell branded batteries made by Deka. They are very good quality. You can get an AGM if that's important to you, or a regular flooded lead acid. Either will work well for you. Prices will be significantly lower than the X2. I have an X2 for the starter and winch, but the flooded Duracell FLA deep cycle has been great as a house battery.

The Stainless Battery Tray is very nice, and in my opinion is worth the money. It makes everything else much easier. I managed to squeeze the Duracell FLA Group 31 in it. But it's tight and there were some sparks. Hood clearance is uncomfortably tight.

I have not enjoyed my experiences with the NL isolators. If you haven't bought it yet, consider a simple ACR from Blue Sea, or if you have the budget for NL, then consider the CTEK or Redarc systems. Both of those will perform the isolating function plus they will give you a little uplift in charging voltage (handy for our landcruisers that seem to idle at very low voltages). The Redarc and CTEK units also have a built in solar controller. That'll save you a bit later if you want to add solar, and if you really need a dual battery, then you will eventually start thinking about solar. I have had the NL, and now run a Blue sea. I want the Redarc, and may convince myself to spend the money. It would have been a lot cheaper if I had just gone there first.

I'm using interstate right now just coz the replacement warranty policy .. since I no longer have local access to Panasonic Batteries which are IMHO the best .. ( that I ever tried at least ) along with the AC Delco batteries ..

Is the X2 made by Odyssey? Looks like it...and what the Sears platinum looks like. Still have a Platinum in my rig that has lasted a good long while.
I think the X2 is a Northstar product but I could be wrong. It's made in USA. As mentioned above, the Duracell by Deka at Batteries Plus is also a nice option with great specs. Both brands available at Batteries Plus. Be sure to get the discount online too. They often do discounts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom