Batteries? Alternator?? Or something else??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

the first vid it's clearly your starter not getting enough juice to engage and turn your engine to start it .. possibly coz faulty wiring but IMOP it's just your batts depleted ..

Put a V meter and see what you have .. lower temps are radical on batts ..

lowenbrau said:
Batteries dead? What does the voltmeter show? Ours sounded just like that if we let it sit for a week. I replaced the batteries and so-far we are fine.

Since I took the alternator out I had removed both batteries and trickle charged them.

But they are reconditioned units that used to work fine up until the time I parked it.

I'll check the voltage and report back.

Tapage said:
the first vid it's clearly your starter not getting enough juice to engage and turn your engine to start it .. possibly coz faulty wiring but IMOP it's just your batts depleted ..

Put a V meter and see what you have .. lower temps are radical on batts ..

It's been butt-kicking cold, but the batts "should" be OK.

I'll get the multimeter out and check them tomorrow.

I might also get them out and get them measured at a local shop if needed.

Thanks guys!

So I had put the trickle charger on the JDM DS battery for 1.5 days and the light had indicated that it was charged, fwiw.

While it was still connected to the charger I had measured both sets of battery terminals and they read:

JDM DS: 13.44
JDM PS: 13.28

Without charger
JDM DS: 13.42
JDM PS: 13.27

And I proceeded to start it, again...

And the same result, same sound, etc...

From the above numbers can you tell if the wiring is correct or the trickle charger did only charge the JDM DS or the batteries are shot, etc...???

FWIW, I had the stock wiring run from + of the alternator to + terminal of the JDM PS battery, with inline fuse (150amp) be the + post of the battery.

I was planning on parking the 80 for a couple of years, but I wanted to make sure that it was running before I did that. But not sure how I would be able to gain access to two good batteries to try to see if it would start, without purchasing them!

Thanks again for any input!

Mot

So I had put the trickle charger on the JDM DS battery for 1.5 days and the light had indicated that it was charged, fwiw.

While it was still connected to the charger I had measured both sets of battery terminals and they read:

JDM DS: 13.44
JDM PS: 13.28

Without charger
JDM DS: 13.42
JDM PS: 13.27

And I proceeded to start it, again...

And the same result, same sound, etc...

From the above numbers can you tell if the wiring is correct or the trickle charger did only charge the JDM DS or the batteries are shot, etc...???

FWIW, I had the stock wiring run from + of the alternator to + terminal of the JDM PS battery, with inline fuse (150amp) be the + post of the battery.

I was planning on parking the 80 for a couple of years, but I wanted to make sure that it was running before I did that. But not sure how I would be able to gain access to two good batteries to try to see if it would start, without purchasing them!

Thanks again for any input!

Mot

I'll give you 2 new batteries when you come down this weekend. Cool! No, you don't have to buy them. Personal stash. :)

You're out of control, Onur! :crybaby:

Do you still think it's the batteries and not the wiring, alternator, etc...

I guess in my futile mind since the alternator and the wiring/fuse are the only differences I'm more inclined to think it's one of these things. :doh:

But if you say it's most likely the batteries, who am I (-:banana:) to argue???

I only checked/cleaned and applied the grease the one that went from the JDM DS battery + to the fenderwell, right next to the battery tray.

I saw another one to the engine block fairly close to the alternator and possibly another one running from the PS battery toward the engine, maybe?

Sorry, if it's been pointed out where (else) there were.

I just "ass-u-me-d" that it was the alternator and everything else was fine. :doh:

I will check those two other grounds, but if there's anything else, I would appreciate it very much if you could point me in the right direction!!

Thanks in advance, John!!

one issue with batts it's you can read right V on 'em with a V meter .. but you are not testing how do they react when load ( starter ) it's applied .. I mean you are not testing amps just V ..

one issue with batts it's you can read right V on 'em with a V meter .. but you are not testing how do they react when load ( starter ) it's applied .. I mean you are not testing amps just V ..
Crap...

Time to buy a load tester :D

or take them somewhere that will load test the batteries for free. Around here canadian tire and walmart will both load test for free if you pull the battery out
I'll take them both out and take them to O'Reilly's or AutoZone (Since they can probably only test one at a time, I'll take one to both of them? :hillbilly:) and get them tested.

I guess that would be the next logical course of action.

Thanks again!

Mot

Crap...

I'll take them both out and take them to O'Reilly's or AutoZone (Since they can probably only test one at a time, I'll take one to both of them? :hillbilly:) and get them tested.

I guess that would be the next logical course of action.

Thanks again!

Mot

Or take the 2 new batteries I have this weekend. :)

Or take the 2 new batteries I have this weekend. :)

You kill me, lol!!

I took both of the batteries to O'Reilly's and AutoZone and have them both test both batteries (I just wanted to make sure).

O'Reilly's put the batteries at this machine that spent about 60-90 secs to test. She told me that they were both "dead".

At AutoZone, they put the portable equipment on the batteries and tested them.

He said that the JDM DS battery (where I had put the trickle charger on) was 100% charged but had a bad cell in it.

And the PS battery had 0% charge. (Does that mean that the wiring was bad and I was not trickle charging the PS battery all this time? But I had charged them both when I had both of them out of the vehicle, several times).

So now they're charging it and will test it to see how it is. I should know in about 1hr or so.

OK, so the AutoZone guy tells.me that the PS battery has been 100% charged, but is bad.

I guess I will wait to get the batts from the most gracious Onur and see if that would take care of it.

If not, I would know that there is something wrong with the wiring/fuse, right???

OK, so the AutoZone guy tells.me that the PS battery has been 100% charged, but is bad.

I guess I will wait to get the batts from the most gracious Onur and see if that would take care of it.

If not, I would know that there is something wrong with the wiring/fuse, right???

Yes, I would test with the two new batteries. The batteries are definitely one of the problems - or maybe the only problem now. Still, unbolt/unscrew all ground connections to frame, body and engine. Just follow the ground wires from the batteries and the one off of the alternator. I can't tell you where they are exactly on your rig because I am not familiar with the exact wiring on it. Once you have identified the ground wires and their connecting points, clean them until they shine and smear them with dielectric grease on the contact surfaces and on the threads of the bolt/screw.

I shall.

Thanks so much for your input, John!

Mot

Be sure to check and clean the ground from the PS battery to the PS block - under the injection pump. Usually gets caked in oil.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom