Batteries? Alternator?? Or something else??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You could tell it's a rebuilt unit, with paint/spray, minor scratches and dents, but I am very satisfied with the overall appearance and their service and their communication has been very good.

But the true test will be after it is installed.

I am leaning toward installing a fuse, but it may take a while since I have no ideas how to do it, lol!
ForumRunner_20121225_122114.jpg

Last edited:
If you're worried about that put a fusable link in. You just get w/e size you want and solder or crimp it into the power line of the alternator and it will melt if it gets over currented.

...and make sure you carry a few fusible link spares with you.

If you're worried about that put a fusable link in. You just get w/e size you want and solder or crimp it into the power line of the alternator and it will melt if it gets over currented.
I'll have to figure out how I'm going to do that.

...and make sure you carry a few fusible link spares with you.
Can I just modify battery cables that I see at a local automotive shop (4ga), and install a fuse that's close to 200 Amps? (I've read that I should get one that is rated 120%+ of the alternator's output and not sure if there's a 180 Amps fuse.)

interesting yours use round connector .. mine it's oval ..
Hey, with your upgraded alternator did you beef up the wire going from the alternator to the + battery terminal only(where/how did you take care of the fuse)?

Did you put in any additional reinforcement???

Hey, with your upgraded alternator did you beef up the wire going from the alternator to the + battery terminal only(where/how did you take care of the fuse)?

Did you put in any additional reinforcement???

I kept my old one stock but run new one with fuse directly to my main batt ..

I kept my old one stock but run new one with fuse directly to my main batt ..

So leave the stock cable running from the alt. to the + terminal as is and then run another (new) one from the same place with a fuse?

Would 4ga be adequate for something like this and what size of fuse did you end up using???

Hey Mot - I'd go 2ga minimum. I'm pretty sure that's what came stock on the 24V, at least the ground from the drivers side battery to the block is.

Interested how this works out for you as I need to upgrade mine shortly. Wondering if is it's worth the extra price for the "sealed" units?

Hey Mot - I'd go 2ga minimum. I'm pretty sure that's what came stock on the 24V, at least the ground from the drivers side battery to the block is.

Interested how this works out for you as I need to upgrade mine shortly. Wondering if is it's worth the extra price for the "sealed" units?
I've been trying to source either 2ga or 0ga.

I managed to get the alt. back in. It was a struggle, but now I feel comfortable in tackling it again!

And I don't know what is the "sealed" units are... alternator, for water crossings, etc???

Mot . . IIRC I did with #2 AWG pretty thick cable IMO kinda overkill .. but will not hurt ..
I just wanted to verify which side battery that I'm supposed to run the upgraded cable to the + terminal of...

If I traced it back of the old cable that I had disconnected from the alt, it goes back to the JDM PS(US DS) battery, with 5-6 feet of cable.

Does that sound right???

I got too used to seeing the US-spec upgraded alternator threads that thinking it was on the US PS battery became second nature.

I just wanted to make sure that I was doing the right thing.

T.I.A!

So I have ordered an inline fuse holder and 175amp fuses as well as fuse terminal and fuses for/at the battery terminal.

I don't know which set up I'm gonna go with and whichever I don't end up using can be used in the 60 when I do a similar mod.

Anyway, today I went looking for the cable to use.
All but one battery cables at O'Reilly were 4ga and the 2ga was too short.

But at AutoZone they had some Duralast brand cables that came in various lengths that were 2ga.

However, none of the battery terminal lugs where the cable gets attached to the alternator looked small enough.

I confirmed this when I looked at my alternator. Dammit!!

ForumRunner_20130101_184217.jpg

Something needed to be done as even the smallest lug would not clear the gap in order for the lug to fit/attach to the alternator.
ForumRunner_20130101_184217.jpg

So I decided to remove the black plastic piece.

ForumRunner_20130101_184453.jpg
ForumRunner_20130101_184453.jpg

So this is what it looks like now.

ForumRunner_20130101_184840.jpg

ForumRunner_20130101_184952.jpg

Now there is enough clearance for the bigger cable and lug.

But now I will have to find nuts to maximize the contact surface with the new cable lug, etc...

This is getting to be fun, actually!
ForumRunner_20130101_184840.jpg
ForumRunner_20130101_184952.jpg

So I have ordered an inline fuse holder and 175amp fuses as well as fuse terminal and fuses for/at the battery terminal.

I don't know which set up I'm gonna go with and whichever I don't end up using can be used in the 60 when I do a similar mod.

But at AutoZone they had some Duralast brand cables that came in various lengths that were 2ga.

However, none of the battery terminal lugs where the cable gets attached to the alternator looked small enough.

View attachment 711674

Something needed to be done as even the smallest lug would not clear the gap in order for the lug to fit/attach to the alternator.
Looks like it should of fit, but it was just off center?

Looks like it should of fit, but it was just off center?

If I would have used the stock lug it would have fit, but then I wouldn't have been able to put a 2(ga) wire in it.

The contact area of the alternator + should have been just big enough for the 2ga lug, but it would have never fit through the small opening it had. The lug width is about 15mm and the opening was less than 10mm. (Does that make sense?)

With my luck, probably there was another (simple) solution that would have worked better and easier. :doh:

But the stud coming out from the alternator is 6mm and the 2ga lug that I'm thinking about getting has 8mm opening. Ideally I would like to make it smaller, to 6mm, but don't know if I can close the hole with copper and drill a bigger hole.

That's probably easier than get a bigger stud and make the thread 8mm.

Or, I though I would just get a bigger 6mm nut with bigger surface area and call it good. I am leaning toward going that route first.

Again, I'm sure I'm doing this the hard way...

Since you're handy with a Dremel, why not make your own battery cable? Here's what I did. SImple, no fuss, no muss and you've got a custom cable built to the exact length you need, with super duper nice lugs at each end.

The Saga (Nightmare) Continues....

Since you're handy with a Dremel, why not make your own battery cable? Here's what I did. SImple, no fuss, no muss and you've got a custom cable built to the exact length you need, with super duper nice lugs at each end.

I tried that, well... sort of...

I bought a 2ga battery cable from AutoZone and shortened it to fit my need and put the lugs on (crimp/solder).

I finally buttoned everything up today and tried to fire it up, but it wouldn't start. :crybaby:

I got the beefed up cable running from the + of the alternator to the + terminal of the JDM passenger-side battery, since that's where the original cable seems to run to.

I put a terminal fuse block with a 150amp fuse, as well.

When I turn the ignition on it just sounds like a machine gun shooting without actually turning the engine over. When I shut it off there's a faint whirring sound from under the hood, somewhere around/behind the same battery.

I called up a mechanic friend of mine, but the only thing he thought was that maybe the starter was not getting enough juice or I have the wires crossed.

The fuse had not blown all this time.

To determine whether it was the replacement cable's fault or not I switched back to the original cable with the same result, except in the process I got lazy and didn't disconnect the - terminal and when the original wire end touched the alternator casing there was a spark. :doh:

When I checked the fuse after I tried cranking with the original cable I noticed that then it was (violently) blown. Did it blow when the original cable's lug touched the alternator casing or did it blow because I used the original cable?

Fortunately (for me), I had purchased a few of the terminal fuse (all 150amp), so I simply replaced it and tried to diagnose if the original cable was causing the fuse to blow or not. But after several tries I could not get it to blow, which leads me to believe it was touching the casing that did it.

I'll try to see if I can load a link to the vid that I took of the sound when I turn the ignition on and see if that may help you help me identify what it is that I'm doing wrong. I sure hope it's not the alternator itself, but I have not done anything else to the truck.

DAMMIT!!!!

HELP!!!!!!! :crybaby:

This is what happens when I try to start it.

And this is the whirring sound that I hear when I shut off the ignition.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!

Thanks!

Mot

This is what happens when I try to start it.

And this is the whirring sound that I hear when I shut off the ignition.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!

Thanks!

Mot

Batteries dead? What does the voltmeter show? Ours sounded just like that if we let it sit for a week. I replaced the batteries and so-far we are fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom