Batteries 24v Idea (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BreckenridgeCruiser

I break things.
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
teqtach.com
Has anyone thought about putting in two 24v batteries instead of the 12v's and chaging from series to parallel?

Wouldn't this make the system more efficient, ease wiring in accessories, and give a ton of starting/glowing juice?

Or, is the conversion too difficult or a PIA?

Thanks

Aren't 24volt Batteries more industrial in application and therefore Industrial size? If there were 24s that would fit that would rule! But I think it would be WAY overkill and WAY $$$$$.

Has anyone thought about putting in two 24v batteries instead of the 12v's and chaging from series to parallel?

Wouldn't this make the system more efficient, ease wiring in accessories, and give a ton of starting/glowing juice?

Or, is the conversion too difficult or a PIA?

Thanks

Those 24volt commercial truck batteries are 1/2 meter long.

Well, it seemed good on paper... toilet paper.

;)

you dont need a single 24 volt battery, 2 12 volts in series will give you 24.

Which is what he was talking about modifying...his idea being that two 24V batteries in parallel instead of two 12V batteries in series will have a lot more reserve capacity.

would the use of 24 vlt batteries mess with 12 volt headlights, I am still a little miffed by them being in my BJ42. ?

two 24's would be 48 cells, compared with 2 12's at 24 cells.

two 24's would be better. But for our applications the cost would be too much. Aircraft 24v batteries can be quite small. But too much money. I buy a nice battery for my plane, it is about a foot square. Costs about 1700 bucks.

So really the best option is a couple industrial 12 volts in a largest size you can fit in there.

So really the best option is a couple industrial 12 volts in a largest size you can fit in there.

Before selling the truck to Nick, my BJ74 had two Interstate Workaholics in there. They've been flawless, and I bet they serve Nick for years to come.

I'v eused interstates, had great luck with them. I've also bought and used industrial type batteries from the local farm supply shop, best batteries I ever had.

Regards,

no way to center tap headlights. in canada 24v lights ar illigal

24v lights illegal? This is the fist I have heard that.
May I ask where in the legislation you found it?

The BJ70 came to canada and was 24v.
So it can't be illegal. Anything military spec is 24v as well.

I am going to go take a look and see if I can find anything.

Cheers,
Nick

The BJ70 came to canada and was 24v.
So it can't be illegal. Anything military spec is 24v as well.Cheers,
Nick

Nick: At the time...the all 24V trucks that came into Canada through Toyota's channels (BJ42, BJ70, HJ60) were 24V for everything EXCEPT the headlights, to satisfy regulation of the day. The headlights use an evil center tap system, which creates an even load on the batteries.

hth's

gb

Last edited:
Before selling the truck to Nick, my BJ74 had two Interstate Workaholics in there. They've been flawless, and I bet they serve Nick for years to come.

ah so you jinx'd him! without even telling him to knock on wood and wax the truck to keep it happy.. :D

ah so you jinx'd him! without even telling him to knock on wood and wax the truck to keep it happy.. :D

LOL...I can't vouch for anything anymore once it's out of my care. ;)

I don't think it was stone. I think the truck was a little pissed at me for taking her down a narrow road. I put some pinstripping in her. :)

Funny enought a headlight bulb blew that day.
Actually the fuse blew too. Mabye that fuse took the solar converter fuse with it?

Who knows? I am not sure. But I am not worried. Stone sold me a solid truck. I can deal with anything that comes up.
Biggest issue is rust, which I will be taking care of. Either this fall or spring, but she will go under the knife and get some new metal.
That ought to make her happy again. A bodyman friend of mine an I will do it.

Cheers,
Nick

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom