BAT 70 Series Pickup, Should I run? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Azca

If there is a harder way - I will find it...
Threads
70 Series experts, I need some advice.

I have wanted a 70 series since they were first introduced but we were never blessed with them in this country. I love my 80 but dream of a 70 pickup to fill the void in my heart left by the one that could, or should have been.

Anyway, this one is up on BAT. Looks like they have placed an 80 series front axle on this and I am not sue I like what I see on the rear control arm mounts. Besides that, is that an aftermarket AC? The joke of an attempted step/slider will be immediately removed upon purchase, that install also has me concerned. Alas, while I always have wanted one (kind of like a 308 Ferrari), I know so little about them I don't trust myself with buying one (kinda like that Ferrari thing again). It will not be used for a daily driver but will use the critter in its native environment. I also do not have time to do any serious wrenching on it, I still have to wrap up my 80s mods and don't need another project now. All of that said, she is purdy aint she!

What are your collective thoughts on this one?

1992_toyota_land-cruiser_1992_toyota_land-cruiser_3a350035-0e69-4386-9123-92dd414b5f75-kryydn-97608-56714.jpg

That's an easy pass.

Look for one in stock condition. Someone on MUD had a really nice example in the tan color for sale awhile back.

My Slightly more detailed answer, that thing is a mongrel.

It started life as a PZJ70.
5cylinder 2 door cruiser.

3C214BA2-2863-4A8D-A07A-C9EB7B126811.jpeg

And ended up like you see it. All work was done in Costa Rica so I’m not sure how it even got here (pretty sure not legal). Any amount of research shows how the majority of South American cruisers are complete nightmares.

I’m not even going to go into any of the hugely other issues on this. Restored in South American is the first and all encompassing red flag.

Turning it into a truck from the suv is another whole huge flag then compound that by having it done in South America. Yikes.

That's an easy pass.

Look for one in stock condition. Someone on MUD had a really nice example in the tan color for sale awhile back.
I saw that but the stars did not align on that one. I now have the TOWMBO on board with one of these. Her only stipulation is the headache rack has to be removed.

Run away. Quickly. That BaT truck is a horror show.

In violation of several Federal laws just to possess it, never mind the highly questionable and by all appearances unsafe and sketchy modifications.

For fun I ran the VIN they’re selling it with. Pretty much nothing matches the truck.

If you want a stock-ish pickup and you have funds available they can be had in Europe.

Amazing it was bid to $30k.

A lot of rattle cans, stick welds and bonfo for $30k.

A guy here in Boise recently bought an FZJ75 pickup from the Middle East. Pretty good Cruiser so they are out there just not many.

Cheers

I would completely stay away from anything South American, personally. There are some that are Probabaly OK but…

I don’t mean to bash peoples rigs too bad when for sale, but here’s a classic example of of nice looking cruiser.

Check out the bumper/fender gaps on the front. Frame? Body? Fenders? Who knows but lots of little tell tale signs that things need to be looked into deeper and in person.

B1A5E2F9-F75A-4B5F-961B-0282A33AC2C7.jpeg

I saw that but the stars did not align on that one. I now have the TOWMBO on board with one of these. Her only stipulation is the headache rack has to be removed.
That's a great acronym I hadn't see before. Well, with really deep pockets you could always hit up Slee offroad to see if they're willing to sell this one. Slee Off Road Combines the Best Toyota Parts in One Land Cruiser - https://www.motortrend.com/features/1601-slee-off-road-combines-the-best-toyota-parts-in-one-land-cruiser/

I think that one was listed on BAT before. @Will Van may have some insight on it.

That's a great acronym I hadn't see before. Well, with really deep pockets you could always hit up Slee offroad to see if they're willing to sell this one. Slee Off Road Combines the Best Toyota Parts in One Land Cruiser - https://www.motortrend.com/features/1601-slee-off-road-combines-the-best-toyota-parts-in-one-land-cruiser/
Briefly scanned it. So, a 2010 body on an 80 series frame, am I correct? I love the newer body style, why lord cant you Toyota send those critters here!?

I am sure that one is north of $100k. I like but I am not Warren Buffett!

@OGBeno

You are so repressed, you need to get off the fence and tell us what you really think...

A sampling of pickups currently available in Europe.

A few BJ75's (3B naturally aspirated 4 cylinder, not everyone's cup of tea):

Or an HZJ75 (1HZ 6 cylinder) with a sweet little camper included:

Restored HZJ75 from a somewhat optimistic Dutchman:

There's probably more, and if you keep an eye out they show up fairly regularly. I know of another nice HZJ75 with camper that's available in Germany, but I can't find the ad.

I haven't seen any of these cars in person, but I'm fairly certain any of them would be an improvement on the current BaT offering.

I know better, classy people like you are hard to find.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom