Bastardized 91 transfer case shift boot (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i have what appears to be a non-factory but pretty well done shift boot replacement on a 91.My problem is the boot was trashed and this is what I’m left with. Anyone ever see anything like this? If so, any recommendations for replacement options?

7A2232BC-7732-46A7-891D-DCF16A1BF342.jpeg

C35EAB9A-9251-4233-A920-6AAFECA393A9.jpeg

6EC7FA06-652B-4224-BAFD-253FE1A07A54.jpeg

Looks OEM to me but it has been a few years since I messed with mine. If the boot itself is discontinued I would just find a dismantler that has the entire console in good shape.

If you look at the bottom it seems like they used an oem boot from ?? And modified the console to fit.

B786A753-524D-4A19-8907-80B703B58821.jpeg

Here is a picture of that piece from my 94, ignore the added holes for gauges on the left side. Your left side of the shift boot may be slightly enlarged but no by very much. The metal bracket is the same.

:
IMG_20190822_094304773.jpg

Here is a picture of that piece from my 94, ignore the added holes for gauges on the left side. Your left side of the shift boot may be slightly enlarged but no by very much. The metal bracket is the same.

:

Interesting, thanks for the reply. This leads me to the question : what do you do for shift boot replacements? I checked out redline but their system is for the “wire” type setup from a different trim level? Or later model 80. Pic from redline goods install instructions.

4A867FF5-5D56-4F21-9AC8-5788330620B7.jpeg

I've never checked what replacements are available. FYI my 94 is factory leather.

I've never checked what replacements are available. FYI my 94 is factory leather.
The plot thickens lol. I will continue to search. Might just end up having an upholstery shop make one, or maybe start with a universal one and trim it down.

For his 91, I would still give them a call...I bet they can work it out.
I looked into oem, the boot is discontinued. I contacted redline, they offered to send one that I could glue to the underside but I would rather get something that fits the bracket, I’ll probably end up getting a universal one and sew it around the bracket myself.

That looks almost like the same OEM bracket. The holes in the console look like they are slightly off (comparing pictures above) from the OEM one suggesting the console may not be OEM. It looks like the whole boot hole was cut out by hand. If the bracket is the same size as OEM the redline boot will wrap around it just fine. I had gotten the redline boot for my '91 and it fit perfectly over my bracket.

That looks almost like the same OEM bracket. The holes in the console look like they are slightly off (comparing pictures above) from the OEM one suggesting the console may not be OEM. It looks like the whole boot hole was cut out by hand. If the bracket is the same size as OEM the redline boot will wrap around it just fine. I had gotten the redline boot for my '91 and it fit perfectly over my bracket.
Ok, thanks. they were my first choice after I found the oem one was discontinued, maybe I’ll just try the regular one.

Well I ended up trying a cheapo amazon shift boot. I kind of hate the red stitching but it was a low risk trial. It barely fits, the stitching started coming apart but I got it one and applied a liberal an mount of epoxy to hold it all together.

467F57FA-7CE1-4F32-9571-45DC98BFA765.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom