1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Basics on HJ47

Discussion in 'Diesel Tech / 24 volts' started by creature, Feb 21, 2007.

1. creature

creature

Hello, I posted over in Diesel parts but thought my questions were probably better suited here. I am looking at a 1982 HJ47 located in Canada. It came here from Aus. in 2006 and looks really clean. I dont know anything about diesels so at this point I am going on what the owner says and my experience with regular fuel cruisers....the engine is listed as a 4.0L...anyway to tell what engine it is? Reports 285,000 miles on the engine and recently says new radiator, block heater, and diesel injectors in last 3 months. Reports valves rattle but follows up with diesels are noisy anyway. Here is a picture of the rig and the engine. Any tips or advice on what to ask, look for appreciated. I am planning on using it for my full tiime work truck, or a similar rig if I dont get this one. Thanks!

d47.jpg

dengine.jpg
    d47.jpg dengine.jpg

2. PVCruiser

PVCruiser

Check the floor pans, check the inside rear corners, check the roof line (for rust)... The Ozzies have a way with concealing rust;)

While the 2H can last for a while, you could be looking at a rebuild or replacement in the near future... If an owner took care of the motor, you could get 400-600 k off the motor, but knowing it's from OZ, it could be ridden hard and put home wet...

Plan on a rebuild costing $1k per hole (6 holes, $6k)

It will be a dog loaded full of gear without a turbo. You can get a turbo kit from OZ for around $2500 CA. Don't turbo it without getting a compression check first.

A five speed would swap in with a little work. That would help on the highway.

When the motor dies I would contact Radd Cruisers or G&S for a 1HZ with a turbo.

Looks like the stock exhaust manifold is missing. Are they running headers on the motor?

HTH

Seth

Last edited: Feb 21, 2007
  3. PVCruiser

PVCruiser

What's the seller asking for the unit? I'm not familiar with the CA Transportation Authority, but I know other import units are having difficulty meeting various requirements (lighting, glass, etc.)

Was this vehicle brought to CA Transportation Code? (If it needs to)

Seth

4. Henry James the 47th

Henry James the 47th

It will have the 2H engine, 3980cc displacement. Standard compression pressure is 398 psi at 250 rpm, with 284 psi being the lower acceptable limit. there should be no more than 28 psi difference between cylinders. It should idle at 625-675 rpm.

When you look at the truck, check with your hand against the side of the engine block to see if the owner pre-warmed it up before you got there. From cold, normally a 15-30 second glow is required before starting. A puff of white or black smoke at starting is normal enough, but should dissipate quickly. Excess smoke, esp. when warm, is not good, though is not always a major deal.

Ideally, you want a 1982 truck made before October, as that keeps 'em a bit simpler in terms of the electrical system.

Look very carefully for rust in the floorpan, esp. around where the front door pillars join the floor. The engine will be a bit noisier than a gasser. It will have 4-wheel drum brakes - you will want to pull the drums off and take a look inside. The parking brake is on the back of the tranfer, and it will have the H41 tranny, which is very desireable.

It will have the full floater rear axle, which is desireable as well.

Inspect the wiring loom to see if it has been significantly modified/hacked into. Odds are the fuse panel cover is missing. Check the fuse panel for cheesy s*** like cigarette foil bridging, etc.

The main thing with trucks from Australia (I have one myself) is whether they spent time at the beach or not. If so, they will have a lot of rust problems.

Why is the owner selling it? Hopefully he will be honest about it.

Cheers,

Chris

5. Henry James the 47th

Henry James the 47th

Yep, there are non-stock headers installed.

I notice that the windshield washer pump and reservoir have been relocated to the left side - I wonder why?

6. creature

creature

Wow...you guys are incredible! I know there are some other questions that you asked that need to be answered, and I'll try and get that done. Easy ones...the asking price is $22,000. You can find the listing here http://www.rockymountaincruisers.com/01132007_ra.html

It is located in Edmonton which might not be too far from you, Chris? The story is the seller bought it from a friend who is trying to get into the import buisness and has only had it for about 3 months. Havent got the info on the previous owner/importer yet. He is selling it because he just got a new vehicle with the company he works for...anyway, obviously not a cruiser lover or he would just keep it, which he says he might, but I wouldnt even think about it if I had a free rig to drive from my company.

I am a bit gunshy with just the small amount of info you guys gleaned from the two photos i sent. He sent me a bunch of photos of the body, which looks great compared to the other cruisers i have purchased in the past. But as you well know, you just dont really know until you actually see it and touch it.

I live in Iowa so it is a long haul to go see the rig without strong intentions to buy. Thinking I might just pass on this one. Maybe I could hire you to go check it out for me Chris? It could start a whole new side business for you...just what you need right!

Thanks, again guys, I'll keep you posted. By the way...any recommendations on where I can go to start better educating myself on all of this?

Dave

7. randyb2001

randyb2001

Open for inspection

Hi guys,

I am the one that owns this unit at the moment.
    I would gladly accept any one who would like to come and inspect it.
    I do have a new company truck with gas paid for.
    Why would I burn my own???
    The unit is as I got it a couple of months ago, except I added new signal lenses and I have a couple of lights for the front as well as a headlight kit (running with the lights to the left right now).

Dave, if you would like someone to look at it just give me a call.
    And the price is at $18500.00 USD.

Also thought I would point out that it passed Federal as well as Provincial inspections.

Randy

8. Henry James the 47th

Henry James the 47th

Hi Dave,

well, Edmonton is about a 16 hour drive, across B.C. and over the Rockies, so it's not especially convenient for me to look at it. if you're serious, I would consider it however.

The body condition is very important - probably the primary value of the truck in fact. A recent repaint makes me suspicious, as 95% of the time there is stuff covered up that wasn't repaired properly. Looking closely at the body seams for rust bleed is one place to begin looking. The color is non-stock, as are the seats. The snorkel looks like a bunch of abs pipe glued together. The exhaust has been chopped as it should exit at the back of the truck and is probably non-stock. Lotsa non-stock stuff, from the few photos that i have seen. Why's that?

The engine, while very reliable, is quite expensive to rebuild and parts are not available at your local Toyota dealer, for the most part, so you need to assess its condition carefully. That truck has a lot of km's on it at 455,000 (fairly typical for an Australian rig), and the engine, if it has not been rebuilt, and lovingly cared for its whole life will be tired for sure, along with the tranny and transfer and mechanical parts. If the rad was recently replaced, then the condition of the heater core may be poor.

The price is reasonable for the vehicle if the condition is as good as the seller states, and it is a good sign that it passed inspection, though I'm not sure why Federal inspection was required as the truck is more than 15 years old, and in Canda that means NO Federal inspection is required, save for the Agriculture Canada soil inspection when the container is first opened at the dock. Vehicles imported which are LESS than 15 years old do require full federal inspection, and are subject to excise duty.

To learn more about 47 series trucks your best bet would be to develop a relationship with a knowledgeable Australian, as they have loads more experience with these vehicles than anyone in N. America. 'Mud is a great resource as well, though not so much - yet - for 47-specific info.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2007
  9. creature

creature

Randy...couldnt agree more with not burning your own fuel, you are one of the lucky ones.

Thanks for the info on the price reduction. I'll let you know if I get Chris to come take a look at it. Based on the discussion above, are you aware of any modifications to the engine?

Any estimates on the drive time between Edmonton and Iowa? I am thinking about 35 hours....

Dave

10. grumpy

grumpy

Creature .

An Australian viewpoint .Open the glovebox lid and with a torch have a good look at the cowl seams .Put your hand up the inside of the A pillar and feel around as high as you can ,your looking for rust on the body seams .Do the same on both pillars .Shine a torch up above the pedal box area .PVC pipe on the rack may have been to store fishing rods .............surf rods......

If the owner can tell you what state it was last registered in ,in Australia ,will tell you what to look for .
    Question -Are Australians good at hiding rust ?
    Answer -Does the Pope wear a funny looking hat .

The headers are nothing unusual over here .

HTH

grumpy .

11. creature

creature

Thanks grumpy...I have been playinig rugby for 21 years so I know all about what you Aussies are good at hiding :D

Cheers mate,

Creature

12. GregFrench

GregFrench

Wouldn't a torch set it on fire?
    Over here we call them Flashlights.