Basics of swapping a tacoma (3.4 v6) to FJ40? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

vtcruiser60

SILVER Star
Threads
Well...when I say basics, I am looking for answers rather than providing any. I need a motor for a 77 build up, and have bumped into 5vz-fe 3400 V6 engine and 5spd tranny for $500. I am wondering if using this engine would be worth the effort. My goal is to build a reliable vehicle for light wheeling and local travel.

So what is involved in mating the engine to the Fj40 frame and chassis? How hard would it be to craft new engine mounts, wire, driveshafts, etc.

School me....

I think you will be sad if you do this.
I'm sure greater minds than mine will chime in with the exact whys and wherefors.
The fast answer
2F=274Cubic inches
3.4 Liters =207 cubic inches
straight six=lots of low end torque
v6=not so much low end torque

It'll be just great if you want 180-something HP in a +5000 LB truck. Depends on how much power you like, require or desire. My '01 4r w/ 3.4 is a balless wonder that gets no bertter than 20MPG highway, 13-14 in town.

$500 isn't alot of money as far as costs that go into a conversion and would go further with a SBC plus gain you a tremdous amount of increased power.

What about the computer and all that BS? Getting anything physically mounted is the least of the problems in any conversion, but certainly must be taken into account. The rear driveshaft output flange is going to be in the wrong place.

3.4L 190 hp at 4800 rpm with 220 ft·lbff

2F - 125 horsepower (200 lb-ft @ 1,800 rpm)

You gota have all the info.. i dont know if anyone has ever put one in a 40, but i know they are a pretty beef engine! and im sure they are lighter than the 2F.. $500 is a good deal on one coupled to a tranny.. Also its Fuel injection vs carbed.. Do it!

That Being said, nothing beats a Small Block Chevy V8 for horsepower to cost ratio.. And Go with Fuel injection.. Carbs are like Black and white TV's whats the point when you can pick up a High Def LCD at walmart..

Last edited:
i think that engine will pull a 40 around just fine.
you could use a marlin crawlbox as the adapter to the 40 t-case to make up for the low end. post pix if you go for it!
hth, carl

i think that engine will pull a 40 around just fine.
you could use a marlin crawlbox as the adapter to the 40 t-case to make up for the low end. post pix if you go for it!
hth, carl

Matching the axle gearing to the drivetrain makes a g difference. Depending on what year 40 you are putting it in the gearing should be close to the same as the Taco's. I had 4.10's in my 95 model with 5 Spd. The truck was a blast to drive.

Last edited:
it's been done. ask this guy: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1977...84858442QQihZ007QQcategoryZ6443QQcmdZViewItem

fa9d_12.JPG

14mpg city in a runner with a 3.4? i have a 96' runner with a 3.4 5 speed with 33x10.5's it hauls ass and gets 22mpg hiway in the mountains, awsome motor in a fj40!!!! do it!!!

Just received the following note...

"Yes its 4wd, You can have the engine,tranny,transfercase,wiring harness,and any sensors you might need for $750." It is a five speed tranny from a 96 Tacoma with 146k on it.

Talk to me about mating the output flanges to the differentials. Can I utilize the entire Tacoma transfercase and tranny? Will I be looking to fab custom driveshafts, or is it as simple as buying a marlin box to adapt the engine to a 40 series transfer case?

Just received the following note...

"Yes its 4wd, You can have the engine,tranny,transfercase,wiring harness,and any sensors you might need for $750." It is a five speed tranny from a 96 Tacoma with 146k on it.

Talk to me about mating the output flanges to the differentials. Can I utilize the entire Tacoma transfercase and tranny? Will I be looking to fab custom driveshafts, or is it as simple as buying a marlin box to adapt the engine to a 40 series transfer case?

Killer deal.

You can get a stand alone wiring harness from Offroad Solutions for not too much more than an TBI harness from Howell.

As far as the trannys goes, loose the stock taco transfer case, and run a toybox-Land Cruiser T-case. Then have your driveshafts modded.

If I could find an FJ40 with a good body, I'd run either the 3.4 or a 4.0 V6 before pretty much anythign else.

SBC's have been done before and are done to death.

Some great mind once said.

"There is not substitute for cubic inches"

Keep that in mind when you start to down grade your engine. Seems like way to much trouble for what advantage?? Just because you can buy something doesn't mean you should. Your probably going to have to get some custom adapters and driveshafts and I doubt the t-case included will work, since a 40s rear axle is offset. By the time you can actually make all this bolt up, you will have lost any saving you have been planning on making and you will still have a used engine.

If you want a different engine, get a SBC and never look back unless your laughing at a 40 still running a F series.

The Quote is "no replacement for displacement".
The reason Chevys are done "to death" is because pound for pound and penny for penny, they produce the most power, are the easiet to build and parts are wayyy cheap for them. Its cheaper to build a 350 than the chev 4.3, and much cheaper tha the Toy engines. Its not so much the HP that matters, but the Torque, which we as wheelers should look at much more closley than HP. Torque matters everywhere, wheeling, on the street, running up mountain passes, etc.
The swap you suggest might be worth a try if youre willing to do all the work yourself and get really creative and be ok with the fact you may have to eventually change it. Ive tried various engine and tranny combos over the years....these are our toys, why not change them once in a while. If you can get it all for a good price, go for it...also conside finding and 87 or newer ugly old Suburban that somebody doesnt want much for.....TBI350 and a 700r4 tranny...can usually be had for fairly cheap and you can do the wiring yourself and save the $350 on the wiring harness for something else. DO use a vehcile speed sensor and O2 sensoe whatever you decide.
Good luck!!!

Some great mind once said.

"There is not substitute for cubic inches"

Yes there is.
Turbochargers, superchargers, Nitrous, engine management systems, pentaroof combustion chambers, multiple valves per cylinder.

There are guys with 1000hp Twin turbo Toyota supra's
That's 1000hp with 6 cylinders and 3.0 liters

my64fj40 said:
Keep that in mind when you start to down grade your engine. Seems like way to much trouble for what advantage?? Just because you can buy something doesn't mean you should. Your probably going to have to get some custom adapters and driveshafts and I doubt the t-case included will work, since a 40s rear axle is offset. By the time you can actually make all this bolt up, you will have lost any saving you have been planning on making and you will still have a used engine.

If you want a different engine, get a SBC and never look back unless your laughing at a 40 still running a F series.

How is a modern fuel injected motor such as a 5VZ a downgrade to a f/2F/3f?

All of the arguments you are making agains the 5VZ are the same arguments that can be made for the SBC.

You still have to do:
-motor mounts
-Wiring
-exhaust
-adapt the tranny to the t-case (or motor to the tranny).

And for most SBC swaps to be made economical, you need to use a used motor.

$750 for a motor, tranny, transfercase, wiring and any needed sensors is a screaming deal.

It WILL be more work to make the 5VZ-FE work, however, in the end, you have a truck that is mostly Toyota.

Personally, I think that is MUCH cooler than the extra HP an SBC will net you.
Plus, if you desire more power, you can always bolt on a TRD supercharger...

:popcorn:

Last edited:
Yes there is.
Turbochargers, superchargers, Nitrous, engine management systems, pentaroof combustion chambers, multiple valves per cylinder.

No, Displacement still wins. Let me take all the money that is spent on your 1000hp engines and put it towards a BBC. It will make your 3L cry.

For starters, a smaller engine will always be a downgrade. And that engine, as the specs above show, is built to hit it's peak performance in the 4000 to 5000 RPM range. Yes, that is surely where a 4x4 needs it's power :rolleyes:

Smaller engine, less low rpm power, works harder to move a vehicle = not so good MPG. There went your fuel injected saving.

Yes there is.

All of the arguments you are making agains the 5VZ are the same arguments that can be made for the SBC.

You still have to do:
-motor mounts
-Wiring
-exhaust
-adapt the tranny to the t-case (or motor to the tranny).

And for most SBC swaps to be made economical, you need to use a used motor.

$750 for a motor, tranny, transfercase, wiring and any needed sensors is a screaming deal.

It WILL be more work to make the 5VZ-FE work, however, in the end, you have a truck that is mostly Toyota.

Personally, I think that is MUCH cooler than the extra HP an SBC will net you.
Plus, if you desire more power, you can always bolt on a TRD supercharger...

:popcorn:

And 900 AWD 4 Cylinder Evo's = a load of fun. I like old school but high HP SBC, and BBC bore me. Its been done over and over. Like mentioned above Torque is the name of this game. I get excited over diesels. Swap in a 7.3 or Isuzu Duramax and I'll be wowed :eek: I think the 3.4 is a great idea no torque monster but very reliable. The engine is easy to work on and the TRD Supercharger = bolt on fun. Not to mention the Toyota reliability. This coming from a purist that won't drill holes in my cruiser of retire the old boring F/2F's :lol: Always looking for that idea that will break the mold. :idea:

The FJ40 diffs are offset. If I don't go the toybox route, what is involved in customizing driveshafts to link up the transfercase to the axles? I understand that adding the toybox will provide me with insane crawling potential...but that's not my thing right now.

Also...someone mentioned a wiring harness...that appears to be part of this deal as well.

The FJ40 diffs are offset. If I don't go the toybox route, what is involved in customizing driveshafts to link up the transfercase to the axles? I understand that adding the toybox will provide me with insane crawling potential...but that's not my thing right now.

Also...someone mentioned a wiring harness...that appears to be part of this deal as well.

For starters, you would need to swap axles.
The taco uses a centered rear output and a drivers side front output.

You COULD make the FJ40 rear axle work, but you would be running a funky driveshaft angle. A centered rear end would be a better choice.

There is any number of centered rear ends available for next to nothing. In this situaion, I'd just run a minitruck/tacoma rear end, and then have a taco driveshaft shortened to fit.

The front axle is another story.

You would need to find a front axle with a drivers side differential. You can get these from Ford or Jeep vehicles pretty inexpensively.

A Dana 44 would be the minimum.
But you can get a flange from high angle driveline (and other sources, I am sure) that will bolt up in place of the fixed yoke on the axle and provide a toyota bolt pattern. Again, have the front taco driveshaft modified to fit.

Another option would be to have diamond axle build you a custom front housing with a drivers side drop and then use your FJ40 steering, brakes, etc.

When it's all said and done, you'd be much better off going the toybox route. It's proven, and you wouldn't have to mess around installing different axles.

As far as the wiring harness, Offroad Solutions has a stand alone 3.4 wiring harness

spendy, yes, but if you compare the price fo that wiring harness to getting a MPFI, TPI, or vortec wiring harness, you are in the same ballpark.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom