BASICS: How to tap your steering box for hydro assist (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

nukegoat

Should have bought a Jeep
SILVER Star
Threads
Not super hard, but for the noobs on this board who like pictures, here is where you tap the box. I recommend either removing the box, or hooking up a large amount of extra ATF and keeping the engine running so that the positive pressure expels the chips from drilling/tapping. I did the former, but you can try either way.

Basically just drill and tap like this:
ocpcKlE.png

I want to thank you for the multiple parts you've given me for my truck, that was very generous and greatly appreciated. It's been fun hearing about your escapades in the Hammers and other wheeling trips, and Richard loves talking about the packing material he uses for the trinkets he sends you. It's really too bad the mods didn't get to know you better before you got banned or perma-muted or whatever it is they do to you. :beer:

That's the wrong box shown. It has too many T's in the name.

Can confirm, my tapped box looks like just like the diagram.

10/10, would DIY again.

1579207968621.png

Spent 20 minutes finding a pic to determine if it was "TOYOTA" of "TOYODA"... I think it is the latter.

Agree that this is one of the best mods!

1579208282485.png

I concur one of my favorite modes. Theirs nothing like being able to turn with the locker on in the big rocks.
My was drilled, taped & rebuild by west Texas off road. They taped the 2nd O in TOYODA and down through the top like 2Fpower last picture.
I sure top or front like nukegoat diagram works.
1579214972321.png

you can see them the newer looking lines front and top.

I also recommend carrying plugs or caps to close the system in case of hose failure. Ask me how i know

Not super hard, but for the noobs on this board who like pictures, here is where you tap the box. I recommend either removing the box, or hooking up a large amount of extra ATF and keeping the engine running so that the positive pressure expels the chips from drilling/tapping. I did the former, but you can try either way.

ocpcKlE.png
So, closer to the "a" than the "o". And that should be a "d". Otherwise spot on.

:cheers:

I also recommend carrying plugs or caps to close the system in case of hose failure. Ask me how i know

Great point... I have a feeling we have the same story.... damn ninja rocks....

What pump/mount you going to use?

I heard he’s ditching the gas guzzling 1FZ in favor of a far more eco-friendly RTW (roof-top watermill) to spin his power steering pump

I heard he’s ditching the gas guzzling 1FZ in favor of a far more eco-friendly RTW (roof-top watermill) to spin his power steering pump
I told you that in confidence

ocpcKlE.png

I highly recommend being borderline blackout drunk while doing it as well. My neighbors came by as I was trying to drill it with one eye closed to cure my double vision, told me that was never going to work, and left. Proved his dumbass wrong.

Delete

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom