1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Basic stereo subwoofer question

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Cruiserhead05, Jul 9, 2005.

1. Cruiserhead05

Cruiserhead05 SILVER Star

So in my 80 im running an alpine head unit which power the stock speakers and i have a small 10 inch pioneer power by its own amp in the rear. Sometimes when i turn my volume up to a certain point the subwoofer all together will just quit.

Is this a wiring issue or a weak amp/cheap sub problem.

Thanks,Brandon

2. Stone

Stone Moderator

A guess, but is your sub amplifier clipping? Maybe the gain is turned up too high, and after you get it past a certain volume the clipping protection in the amp kicks in?

Just make sure that the amp driving your sub has adequate wattage for the sound pressure that you want from it. Distortion is what kills speakers. Good luck.

3. Cruiserhead05

Cruiserhead05 SILVER Star

Stone. my sub setup is just something cheap i picked up off ebay. its a boxed 10 in with a 200 watt amp mounted right on the back. i hope to upgrade to better components at some point but for now this fits my application. also i believe the sub is rated at 100 watts. i will check the gain setting and see when i find.

Thanks

4. chuglife

chuglife

also, it's not a great idea to mount the amp right on the sub box, vibration can kill amps.

5. RUfj40crazy

RUfj40crazy

Depending on the ohm levels for both you amp and the speaker it works both ways. If you speaker is of higher resistance then the amp is just not able to push on the coil and produce sound. The other is that the speaker is lower resistance and it’s possible that you’re overpowering the system; this will destroy the speaker coil causing it to unravel and cease to the magnet.
    My thoughts are that your just underpowered and when turning up your volume the amp has its max wattage and shuts down to avoid burning up the resistors.
    You also may need to check what the peak wattage from your deck is; low watt from the head units even when powering an auxiliary speaker can cause it to fizzle out.

6. 89s rule

89s rule

usually its when you are overloading the amp. my old system did that at times and i kinda took it to mean i needed to turn it down. I think you can tweak it a little with your settings on the HU and the amp.

7. RUfj40crazy

RUfj40crazy

Also check your amp to see if it has a fuse...most have a 10a. If yours is a cheaper model and dosent have a fuse be wary of turning the juice up youll blow the resistors and scrap the amp!

8. Trollhole

Trollhole THC Supporting Vendor Moderator

Media:
    Albums:

What he said.

And it's clipping.