Basic noob question about broken bolt removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

workingdog

GOLD Star
Threads
So, this is the front bolt on my bump stop. I got some bump stop extensions from Mark's Offroad and was removing the existing bump stops - and snapped this one off. It's a few threads up in the hole. Can I easy out this? Or do I just have to drill it out.

IMG_4537.jpg

You can do either. A lot of times when I'm in the middle of E-Z-Out-ing the broken off bolt, the drill bit ends up catching, pulling the broke off shank with it, due to the drill bit being reverse pitch/thread. Bump stop extension...is that a 14mm bolt? (10x1.25 thread)?

Yes. I'm pretty sure that's the size. Not that big for what it's doing.

Okay, so one problem is I can't really get a good look at it without dropping the axle and leaf spring.. I drilled it out, but the easy out is biting too hard. Using my phone, I don't think I got center enough and cleaned out one side of the hole.

I have had great results with left hand drill bits, they tend to Catch the off center problem and draw out the leftovers. Sometimes you can clean with a tap, or drill and tap to the next size.

Soak it with penetrating oil (kroil or liquid wrench(dry)) for a couple of days, then use left hand drill bit and low torque.

I have a Harbor Freight 12vdc impact driver that I use for stuff like this. It had enough “kick” to break rusted bolts loose, but not enough torque to break bolts.

Drill it out and retap. You may never be able to get out all of the broken bolt and could end up breaking off something in the hole. So, I drill to the proper size and tap in some new threads. I did this on several bolts without an issue. I had three or four bits and a couple of taps that got a good workout. I dont think there is a hole in the frame in that area to get a wrench and nut in or else you could go with a new nut on the inside. Its the bump stop and probably wont take a lot of abuse, and just needs to be held in place.

So, I was wrong, it's not 10, it's 8mm x 1.25
I'd like to take it to 10.

I would try to drill it out to the proper size tap. You may capture some good threads, if that doesnt do it, go one size bigger. I did this on several captured nuts with good results. I wouldnt suggest doing this on a critical component but a bump stop or some of the top bolts will do fine.

So, 1/4" bit (which is a little smaller than called for, for 8mm bolt) and big chunks of the old bolt came flying out. Then the 8mm tap. It took a little to get it started, and then it was good. 8mm went right in.

Thanks for all the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom