1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

*basic* desmog question

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by pvaman, Feb 7, 2004.

1. pvaman

pvaman

I'm looking at Jim C's desmog schematic and i have a pretty fundamental question. I assume that all the items marked "x" can be removed. Once that's done, what do you do with all the vacuum hoses going/coming from that device? Do they all just get plugged?

I remember reading 'desmog for dummies' a while back and it didn't seem to go through this procedure of removing all these components.

http://www.ih8mud.com/tech/desmog.html

2. Shastapk

Shastapk

Thanks for asking- I have also had these similar questions for awhile and would like to desmog my FJ60-I'm sure many others would as well. You would think there would be a more comprehensive book or link on this. I really don't want to tear into it until I'm sure how to finish it. Also- I am wondering if the carbon cannister really needs to be left on.

3. farmer

farmer

I'm in the same boat. I've seen the diagram but need a little more hand holding I guess.

I heard there was a website with a step by step procedure but I haven't been able to find it.

4. Ming89FJ62

Ming89FJ62 I smell bacon GOLD Star SILVER Star

5. pvaman

pvaman

Ming,

I recall reading through that site but it sure didn't leave me with the impression that all the components marked with "x" in the diagram are removed in the 'desmog for dummies'.

Is this true or did i just not read it close enough?

6. Ming89FJ62

I agree that it seems confusing. I had a chance to speak w/ Jim C last August shortly after I bought Wang the 78 FJ55 (think Caddy Shack). Jim was great, and even though I had just bought a new/rebuilt carb from SOR said that as long as you keep the vacuum advance and the fuel vapor recovery circuit all the other vacuum related crap can be trashed including the EGR loop. I also disconnected the emissions computer per Jim's recommendation; you can also trash the air injection rails and pump. I got "stuck" w/ a bit of a morphodite when I purchased the FJ55; I ended up w/ a new Federal carb in a Kalifornia truck where most of the smog hardware had been stripped off (no VSV or VCV, the air pump had been replaced w/ power steering :D and both of the BVSV's were junk). According to Jim this is a preferred combination for a desmog rather than dealing w/ a KA carb and the additional power valve, throttle positioner and thermo switch. I added the VCV back to the vapor recovery circuit and a BVSV for the vacuum advance circuit and the truck runs great. I also used schematics in the tech section as a guide to make sure I had the plumbing right. Even though my 78 is different from the 84 the schematic posted in tech it's pretty much the same. I haven't faced the emissions test yet but according to Jim, with a good tune up it should not be a problem - time will tell. If I don't pass I can always put antique plates on it which exempts the emissions test.

Ming

7. Shastapk

Shastapk

That helps- thanks for the info you guys!!! Sorry to keep the questions rolling, but do you have any advice on plugging the holes- and do you need to plug them all? Are there common parts that will do the job? Thanks again.

8. Ming89FJ62

You definately need to plug the holes if you remove the air rail. The 2F has what looks to be pipe plugs where the air injectors use to be.

Ming

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">