Basic carry tools? FZR80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Short of carrying a tool box on the FZR80, wondering if anyone can suggest what basic tools I should keep in my kit.
thanks

This is what I always have in mine: factory jack, jack handle, lug wrench, metric socket set 8mm-19mm (deep and shallow), 8mm-19mm ratcheting wrenches, 8mm-19mm box end wrenches, channel locks, two large crescent wrenches, Philips screwdriver, flat screwdriver, heavy duty wire cutters, needle nose pliers, slip joint pliers, razor knife w/extra blades, multimeter, breaker bar, 2lb sledge hammer. I think that's it, more or less. It sounds like a lot, but it fits in a medium size plastic socket set case and a tool roll I made from an old Thermarest foam pad.

S
This is what I always have in mine: factory jack, jack handle, lug wrench, metric socket set 8mm-19mm (deep and shallow), 8mm-19mm ratcheting wrenches, 8mm-19mm box end wrenches, channel locks, two large crescent wrenches, Philips screwdriver, flat screwdriver, heavy duty wire cutters, needle nose pliers, slip joint pliers, razor knife w/extra blades, multimeter, breaker bar, 2lb sledge hammer. I think that's it, more or less. It sounds like a lot, but it fits in a medium size plastic socket set case and a tool roll I made from an old Thermarest foam pad.
So.... a tool box? ;)

Bailing wire. Duct tape. AAA card. Gas money stashed in weird places. Stock tool kit. Add 10mm flare spanner.

I kind of use the KISS drawers in my cruiser as the extended storage area for some cruiser specific tools. That said - the only time that i actually needed a tool was when i damaged a driveshift and needed to remove it. Had everything except a 14mm wrench. Go figure. Only other thing i have needed was bailing wire which i did have :) AAA card, factory jack and tool kit and cash is probably all you really need.

Common sizes for the FZJ80, I carry deep, shallow, 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 with various extensions, wrenches, etc.-a long 14 box end wrench is a good thing to have for driveshaft hardware which torques to 56ft lbs front and 65ft lbs rear:

8mm
10mm
12mm
14mm
17mm
19mm
21mm
22mm
24mm

Other tools to consider:

-Straight needle nose, 45° 70-90° pliers for hose clamps
-Screw drivers (Toyota hardware is JIS, but Phillips can do the job, carry full tang drivers and tap the screwdriver into the head of the screw to help the shape conform to a standard Phillips, if needed)
-Hammer
-13mm stuff in case someone has put hardware store crap on your truck, I see this a lot on battery terminals especially

I’m sure there’s a lot more, but that’s a decent start.

Tools for an FZR80...I wouldn’t know, I’ve never worked on one.

Why bailing wire?
Cause it can a fix things together that glue or duct tape cannot.... ie a loose muffler etc. I’ve used it more times then I care to mention! Super useful!

I carry a full tool box plus a separate set of 1/2 drive metric sockets.
I probably don't need to, I keep up on my PM. It's just they way I was raised.
Always be prepared.

An offset 17mm or 19mm box end wrench for checking your nuts. I forget the right size but this should be in every 80 series. Also, a shovel and an axe.

Don't forget a good knife and gun, they are also tools.

Would you mind posting photos of your kit? That seems like a lot to fit in a plastic tool box and tool roll. I'm releasing our 1993 Middle East 80 to my son for use at college and I thought perhaps it would be a good idea to include something similar. I have an OEM 100 series Toyota tool roll--the 80's tool roll was missing when I got it--so it you have the stock tool roll a photo of it and its contents also would be greatly appreciated.

I was going to include a 27mm socket because that is the size for the anti-knock sensors, BTW.

I carry a toolroll a forum vendor sold empty (TBH I forget who), basically a socket set, assorted crap for the sockets like a couple extensions & UJ/ratchet.

Very 1st tool I ever put in the factory store area was a dedicated 1/2”dr / 15” breaker bar, a 4” extension & 6pt mid-depth socket for the lugnuts.

Other crap I keep: JIS screwdrivers ( @NLXTACY ) & a set of slip-joint pliers (channel-locks to some), a pair of Vice-grips -1 std mid-size, 1 lg needle-nose.

-A cheap pair of wire pliers/crimps as the good Klein only crimp/clip.
-Canned ultra-grey RTV & canned dielectric grease - I’d kept a tube of squeeze lithium, but it got poked & leaked out/made a mess. I also carry a ~1/2dzn pr nitrile gloves.
-Duct tape & 20’ of 9-wire roll are where I stop - all fits in a shytty looking backpack I have under a rachet strap between the 2 forward cargo mounts in back (no 30# projectile in a wreck / rollover) - same bag has a tow strap & 3 shackles & a pulley so I’m set for a single compound winchout or do a change of direction simple pull.

I don’t have a drawer setup in my 80, otherwise I’d packrat some jackstand(s) & prob a better bottlejack. Prob a kinetic strap. —— See why I don’t have drawers? :slap: —I’d packrat easily 6x what I carry now.

Spares I carry: EFI relay, fusible links & quality ATC fuses.
I’d need to look as they are under a bottle of Fast Orange & rags stuffed in the PS RR cubby 1/4-panel pocket. Hand sanitizer in glovebox (nice to keep in general)

I have a (small) 4’ hi-lift on the bumper, I keep meaning to buy @sleeoffroad ’s jack-off kit.

Most important ‘spare’ - a roll of TP in a gallon ziploc /keeps it clean :hillbilly:

I don’t have a drawer setup in my 80, otherwise I’d packrat some jackstand(s) & prob a better bottlejack. Prob a kinetic strap. —— See why I don’t have drawers? :slap: —I’d packrat easily 6x what I carry now.

I do have a 1/2 drawer setup and suffer from the fate speculated above :)

I drive lots of cross country trips and don't want to rely on trying to find parts at odd hours in strange places. My tools don't really take up that much usable space and they are worth it in my opinion for peace of mind.

I also try to complete any repairs (even at home) with the tools from the truck. It keeps me familiar with where everything is, hones my skills, and points out gaps in my tool assortment.

I also keep a full compliment of safety, recovery, and camping gear in the truck all the time.

Tools
  • Basic metric and SAE sockets/wrenches
  • Specialty tools to rebuild front knuckles
  • Multimeter, electrical connectors, Code reader/scanner
  • Torque wrench
  • Tire repair kit
  • Air compressor
Spares
  • Headlights / marker lights
  • All fuses/efi relay/ fusible links
  • Front/rear wheel studs/lug nuts
  • Cone washer/stud set for hub and knuckle
  • Front wheel bearing set
  • 5/8” hose and clamps
  • Rear htr bypass hose
  • Oil change/brake fluid
  • Duct tape/assorted cable ties
A.jpg
B.jpg
D.jpg
F.jpg
G.jpg

I do have a 1/2 drawer setup and suffer from the fate speculated above :)

I drive lots of cross country trips and don't want to rely on trying to find parts at odd hours in strange places. My tools don't really take up that much usable space and they are worth it in my opinion for peace of mind.

I also try to complete any repairs (even at home) with the tools from the truck. It keeps me familiar with where everything is, hones my skills, and points out gaps in my tool assortment.

I also keep a full compliment of safety, recovery, and camping gear in the truck all the time.

Tools
  • Basic metric and SAE sockets/wrenches
  • Specialty tools to rebuild front knuckles
  • Multimeter, electrical connectors, Code reader/scanner
  • Torque wrench
  • Tire repair kit
  • Air compressor
Spares
  • Headlights / marker lights
  • All fuses/efi relay/ fusible links
  • Front/rear wheel studs/lug nuts
  • Cone washer/stud set for hub and knuckle
  • Front wheel bearing set
  • 5/8” hose and clamps
  • Rear htr bypass hose
  • Oil change/brake fluid
  • Duct tape/assorted cable ties
View attachment 2664154View attachment 2664155View attachment 2664157View attachment 2664158View attachment 2664159
and...labelmaker ordered! Haha. Very nice!

Don't forget the gauge.... Even president Obiden believes in the shotgun!!!!
Get_A_Shotgun_Meme.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom