Baselining - What am I forgetting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What’s the latest?
The truck actually needed one other major project that I didn't mention because it really isn't part of the "baselining". More like "repair". The main rear seal is leaking oil. So they need to drop the transmission in order to repair it. It's over an $800 job to change out an o ring. But a lot of labor. So between that and the radiator, it's in there for a little while. I haven't even heard from them yet. If I don't hear something by this afternoon, I'll give them a call to see how it's going. I was figuring it would be there till Thursday or Friday. Toy House in Tampa is doing the work. Busy place....

Much of this is Overkill in my opinion. Drive it, fix things as needed.
Sounds great. I'll let my wife know you said we should leave her 20 year old radiator as is, and to call you when it starts steaming on the highway.

Last edited:
Sounds great. I'll let my wife know you said we should leave her 20 year old radiator as is, and to call you when it starts steaming on the highway.
“As Needed” doesn’t mean wait for failure. If your radiator is 20 years old, brown and brittle, time to replace. Inspection and paying attention to the vehicle will ‘tell’ you what is needed, and know the maintenance schedule. I would not trust a new plastic radiator beyond 100k (my Denso replacement made in China - this is radiator #3 - would recommend aluminum).

18 years, 330k on my ‘98. Don’t need to ’baseline’ because I know the maintenance history and ‘stuff’ gets fixed/replaced as normal maintenance. Stuff does start to wear out after 200-250k, in my experience. I carry spare coils (3 originals left) and fuel pump (Will be replaced soon).

Bought a 2004 with 220k, I am ‘baselining’ this where maintenance records are lacking - or parts look/feel worn. Replaced starter and alternator while doing TB/water pump to be proactive. Baselining is a good idea for high-mileage purchases (or unknown maintenance history).

As for the “bleeder screw” - if the screw looks that bad on the fluid side, I would replace/rebuild calipers. There is a lot of debris in there, and bleeding won’t clean/refresh an aged caliper. Replace brake hoses too.

Last edited:
Replaced starter and alternator while doing TB/water pump to be proactive. Baselining is a good idea for high-mileage purchases (or unknown maintenance history).
Hi Kevin2i, does changing the starter and alternator while doing TB save labor cost/time? (Or any of the combination of starter, alternator and TB, do they share similar work in order to access/disassemble the parts?) Thanks. (I'm trying to combine jobs and save labor cost as much as possible :D)

Last edited:
I'm picking the car up tomorrow, everything on the list is complete. Toy House in Tampa is the place, once again.

Never mind the engine seal job, that wasn't part of the original list everyone was guessing at. But that job came in below estimate. As for everything that was on the list that people were guessing at, y'all were high! Labor came in below $2K, including every drop of fluid in the truck and a several parts here and there that I didn't pre-purchase. Picking it up tomorrow, then the last step is the rotate/balance/align job this weekend.

Congrats on getting the job done and under budget!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom