Baselining my new to me 96 FZJ80 aka Thundercloud (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello - I am new to the Land Cruiser world. I just picked up a 96 FZJ80 3x locked with 189k. I purchased it from someone on the West coast and had it shipped to Boston. It is a little rougher condition than I had hoped, but it will get there.... slowly.

The previous owner did the head gasket and rear main seal. I know it currently needs the power steering hose replaced, Birf rebuild, front u joints, and possibly new front calipers. The interior also needs to be replaced - the seats are all in terrible condition and the carpets have seen better days.

I plan on starting with a complete fluid swap and then trying to monitor.

I just noticed that the coolant overflow tank was low, so I'm hoping it was just never burped. I dont see any evidence of leaks. I'd like to keep the rear heater if possible, but I am aware those are problematic.

The brake pedal also seems oddly soft, but the brakes seem to work without issue.

I'm interested in any other feedback or suggestions on how to start getting this truck in god shape.

Thanks!

Hello - I am new to the Land Cruiser world. I just picked up a 96 FZJ80 3x locked with 189k. I purchased it from someone on the West coast and had it shipped to Boston. It is a little rougher condition than I had hoped, but it will get there.... slowly.

The previous owner did the head gasket and rear main seal. I know it currently needs the power steering hose replaced, Birf rebuild, front u joints, and possibly new front calipers. The interior also needs to be replaced - the seats are all in terrible condition and the carpets have seen better days.

I plan on starting with a complete fluid swap and then trying to monitor.

I just noticed that the coolant overflow tank was low, so I'm hoping it was just never burped. I dont see any evidence of leaks. I'd like to keep the rear heater if possible, but I am aware those are problematic.

The brake pedal also seems oddly soft, but the brakes seem to work without issue.

I'm interested in any other feedback or suggestions on how to start getting this truck in god shape.

Thanks!
Brake softness could be many things, perhaps one or more of the 7 hoses.
If there isn't any rust on the lines for the rear heater (mine had none), then I'd keep it, it can blast some real heat. If there is rust, then ya should bypass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom