Baselining my 1997 fzj80 3xlocked Rust Bucket of Hope! 🙏🙏🙏 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That could fall under "make it safe" or under "make it pretty".

If the suspension is unsafe such as a broken spring or bad shocks, then yes.

The basic "make it drive" refers to making it physically able to move under it's own power, so replacing bad bearings, changing oils, no bent axles or broken steering components.

The "make it safe" part could include replacing tie rod ends, or new tires.

It depends on your interpretation.
If it will take you to/from work in relative safety, then I would push it further down the list.

In example, I knew I had one spring that was collapsed by 2" on the RR of my truck.
It still got me where I needed to go and I was only able to feel it as a problem a few times.
I knew my plan was to install a lift, but I had many other things to spend the money on before I was ready for the lift.
I made my list of what I wanted it to be and the parts I needed to get there, then I prioritized according to safety or urgent need. I wasn't ready to drop $1200 on a lift until I had the oil leaks taken care of and the front axle rebuilt and new tires.

So I waited. Since I knew exactly what I wanted, I was able to jump on an opportunity when another member installed a lift and decided he didn't like it. My needs were different than his and it was exactly what I wanted. I got it for a huge discount and timing was right. It still took another 18 months for me to get it installed because.of timing.

It took me about 8 hours in my driveway to replace the springs and shocks.

I had done longer brake lines long before because I needed to replace the lines and I knew what I needed eventually, so I did them at that time, do when the time came for the suspension, it was fast.

Bilt man, lemme just say your contributions to to my land cruiser knowledge have been vast and greatly appreciated :banana: so thanks, and as I begin to digest the levity of your post and confer w/fsm to plan next moves I will leave this here for you :beer:

Screenshot_20200826-181222_Photos.jpg

It's the last peice of the puzzle

Last edited:
1598482849233.png

Hey AL I am in a similar boat but with less rust. I recently started repairingr tail light when I saw my inner rear quarter panel on both sides are shot. I am considering cutting them out and trimming the bottom, does yours suffer from that regard? How do you plan to tackle the surface rust in the undercarriage?
I'm also looking to freshen up the undercarriage one peice at a time, I'd like to rebuild as much as I can myself... And learn to weld!

Last edited:
Found your thread this morning, and I'm really enjoyed it. I'm a noob, and your progress is inspiring as I'm figuring out how best to approach sorting my recently purchased northeast '95 LC. At 115k, it seems to *run, stop and drive* well, and the next step is to confirm that it is mechanically *reliable* before making it more *pretty* (the :princess: does not agree with that order BTW), but from what I'm seeing here, it's looking like I should gut the interior to see if I have any rust hiding under the carpet. I do have some rear rocker rust to address (PO attempted a fix) as well as the rear axle / spare tire undercarriage area. Don't think mine is that bad, but still want to address sooner than later.

Will be very interested in how you will decide to freshen up your undercarriage (one piece at a time). I've been trying to read up, and found that there is no shortage of opinions and options on approach. Do you plan to grind what you can reach? What about the areas you can't reach...rust-conversion/stabilizer? Internal frame boxes...maybe treatments using the Eastwood product? And fluid film that can creep inside body panels?

You also mentioned de-flaring to inspect the fenders for rust. I know a lot of folks like the totally stock / completely original look, but on mine, the PO removed the fender flares, installed a mild lift and put 33's onto the standard wheels, and even though the flares may protect the paint from small rocks flying from the tires, I prefer the de-flared look as well as the added clearance and ride height / visibility...just my .02

Anyway, just want to say great job so far, and really looking forward to seeing how this turns out for you! Good luck!

🍺

Ahh so after a relaxing early morning oil change, I was feeling good,. The truck was feeling good, started right up! Usually takes like 1.5 secs..maybe 3clicks,.,. Anyway it was a beautiful morning.....

UNTIL!!!
I saw my horribly disfigured mudflaps,.,.I became enraged and also decided at that moment how I was going to deal with the rust on my hitch/bumper/everywhere, and broke out the Hart,.,.take a look lmao

20200829_104740.jpg

Maybe 1000grit can clean things up..
Let the bodies hit the floor!
20200829_104747.jpg

20200829_104819.jpg

I hate my bumper;)*twitch*
20200829_104837.jpg

Took a break to enjoy the view..
20200829_105622.jpg

Dinner is served!

Last edited:
I guess I'm on my way slowly to that deflair

20200829_113527.jpg

20200829_113413.jpg

20200829_113427.jpg

Damn looks like the mudflaps were holding on the bumper,.,.yay!:D

Gratuitous...

20200829_113611.jpg

my 2 cents, you bought it cuz you liked it, and that's how a lot of us start of with our 80's. I see what everyone is telling you... definitely make it safe, and make it yours.. I think you will have a blast with this thing without dropping too much money.. You will know when enough is enough. Respectfully your truly.
Checking in w the mantra.
I'm still planning to make this thing last as long as I can while keeping it as reliable as possible! The way I look at it,.,.it's my starter Cruiser :meh:
I may break some stuff as I go, but the thing was one step away from cruiser heaven, if u believe in such a thing :rolleyes: I paid what is consider a small sum for ANY car, let alone THIS one,.for the record it's my second cruiser, I had a 97green anniversary, that didn't need ANYTHING, Had it for a year and sadly had to sell it. :crybaby:

But if I'm honest I need to really start rolling up my sleeves... PHH, Diff work, heater control valve! All that good stuff.

Last edited:
recently purchased northeast '95 LC. At 115k, it seems to *run, stop and drive* well
Congrats!! Got any pics yet?
(the :princess: does not agree with that order BTW)

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

but from what I'm seeing here, it's looking like I should gut the interior to see if I have any rust hiding under the carpet. I do have some rear rocker rust to address (PO attempted a fix) as well as the rear axle / spare tire undercarriage area. Don't think mine is that bad, but still want to address sooner than later.

I'd start again with the carpet, in terms of rust hunting I found spots in the driver and passenger foot wells, the one in the driver isn't pretty

15987259829966357218541595671102.jpg

Will be very interested in how you will decide to freshen up your undercarriage (one piece at a time)

Well besides the trusty hammer
I've heard fluid film is good, what about Eastwood?
I have some evaporust
Peice by peice
Case by case
We will get these trucks running great!

I prefer the de-flared look as well as the added clearance and ride height / visibility...just my .02

I can't wait!
just gotta do one thing at a time I guess
I'm really leaning this way too!
Then I don't have to buy that stupid factory running board as much as I want to be that Fatboy landcruiser it's the right move to de-flair and get some solid af rock sliders!!

Glad to have another along for the journey!

Last edited:
Yo led, a fellow NE'erner?
I have the same rust coming through the trunk floorpan near the wheel arch,.,.I dare not pull those rear lights,.,.I'm taking my mudflaps off in fear they will fly away one day,.,.love those suckers ,.,.trying to repaint logo on em! o_O

As far as dealing with rust,., I'm avoiding it and replacing panels instead as often as I can. Example 1 I'm buying that rear trunk hatch, mine is a near corpse, r.i.p. my rear wipers function lol I have a gaping hole below the spot where the wiper bolts in, and of course the spot under where the blade rests! Lol rust! Because rust

I hate to open a can of worms buuuut have u looked under your flares?...
I'm afraid...lmao
Actually I love the how the truck looks w AND w/out em! I'm torn,.,.but curiosity will probably get the better of me and I'll take em off and hoard them away on my top shelf!

Opinions!?!

View attachment 2417136
U will laugh at the end results...not even gonna post lmao

View attachment 2417137

Cry with me on this one guys, no emblems ,.,."send it" is right ,., damn

View attachment 2417150
Haha mid west cruiser and yeah I poked all under there, and it's a headache instead of replacing the entire quarter panel I'm planning to nip tuck and cut the bottom right out. For light I tried my hand at Bondo to fix the holes looks like s*** up close but it did the job.

IMG_20200826_222027_503.jpg

IMG_20200826_222030_661.jpg

IMG_20200826_222033_241.jpg

My buddy works for Eastwood and before he did, swore by their products. I'm lucky to have Eastwood in my backyard (I've yet to get there though) and am planning on getting a few cans of the frame spray before winter hits. Just trying to figure out how to clean out the inside of the rails/dry/etc before spending any money on it.

@80 Series Al your truck reminds me of my first 80. Dumped a bunch of time and sweat on rust work then threw a rod bearing. To be fair, I pulled mine out of the woods in CT with a tractor and had to replace the passenger front caliper before I could drive it anywhere. That was a sadly neglected truck. Nothing worked right at all. Sounds like you're doing OK regarding mechanicals. Might have an upper hatch for you if you're inclined

Last one :grinpimp:

Well swung by my buddy the LC Dr. @ the BP on Middle Country Rd in St.James. and finally got him to test out the car and I'm very happy to report all mechanicals are functioning as they should, he even went as far to say that it was running well! Lol

I showed him the B Pilar and rocker again and he agreed it was the most pressing issue for me RN...Besides performing some regular maintenance on the diffs, topping em up. I do have the standard PHH and heater control valve,.,. Belts look great, hoses too! PO's only credit to his name is the new radiator)hoses and the tires. Original owner babied the s*** outta that thing,.,.guys,.🤔🤔🤔
I think the truck is developing a name...
Original owner called it Padron. After a town..
I was thinking El Padrino,.,. might even do the marionettes hands thing (the movies "logo")like a theme somewhere inside and out one day who knows,.,.maybe for now when it's time to renew the plates 😉

The truck just IS the Godfather of the road!

20200831_162643.jpg

Last edited:
What's next....
Grease diffs
Heater control valve
PHH
Then all this stuff...

20200831_111034.jpg

My horn sounds,.,.funny

This latch has caused my heart to skip a beat on more than one occasion. I've hit it w PB for months...it has a plastic grommit thing that won't allow for smooth operation...replacement down by the eBay 15$ or @slow95z
20200831_111148.jpg

Pcv, just do it?
20200831_111137.jpg

Looking pretty discolored and one hose bulging... Only a matter of time... This job should be near the top.

Opinions?

Al out

Last edited:
Cruising

20200830_055147.jpg

Oil guage is out... Went intermittent then dead
Need to install new airbag sensor sitting on shelf. 2,500 RPM @ 70 seems pretty good!

What's next....
Grease diffs
Heater control valve
PHH
Then all this stuff...

View attachment 2423861
My horn sounds,.,.funny

This latch has caused my heart to skip a beat on more than one occasion. I've hit it w PB for months...it has a plastic grommit thing that won't allow for smooth operation...replacement down by the eBay 15$ or @slow95z
View attachment 2423863
Pcv, just do it?
View attachment 2423864
Looking pretty discolored and one hose bulging... Only a matter of time... This job should be near the top.

Opinions?

Al out

Yes, just do it! 80 Series 1FZ PCV Valve Kit and 80 Series 1FZ Curved Heater Hose Kit. HPS makes a silicone hose kit if you're into kinky stuff.

My buddy works for Eastwood and before he did, swore by their products. I'm lucky to have Eastwood in my backyard (I've yet to get there though) and am planning on getting a few cans of the frame spray before winter hits. Just trying to figure out how to clean out the inside of the rails/dry/etc before spending any money on it.

@80 Series Al your truck reminds me of my first 80. Dumped a bunch of time and sweat on rust work then threw a rod bearing. To be fair, I pulled mine out of the woods in CT with a tractor and had to replace the passenger front caliper before I could drive it anywhere. That was a sadly neglected truck. Nothing worked right at all. Sounds like you're doing OK regarding mechanicals. Might have an upper hatch for you if you're inclined
That's an interesting point about the insides of the rails, seems like there must be a solution...
What a testament to our trucks that you pulled yours outta the woods and it still worked, how long did it run for you?
No better way to learn the trucks than to buy one that needs some TLC 😉 that way when this ones gone & i lay down some serious cash for a pristine example I'll know the truck inside and out!
I have been very lucky with regard to the mechanicals (jinx!) I had PS sounds.. Flushed,.,.and fine. It's funny, sounds like a lot of these trucks are coming from second owners who didn't do any maintenance at all

Soooo what's this I hear about an upper hatch? Lol
Also sent a pm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom