Baselining my 1997 fzj80 3xlocked Rust Bucket of Hope! 🙏🙏🙏 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

5K plus a s*** load of time... i just sold a cruiser, no rust, on 37s for 6K

you could fly to the south and buy one and be money ahead but what do i know.

yes i know we have talked and text about parts but i still think you are wasting time with this thing. no way in hell i would try and fix it.
double down on what he said. There that old saying RUST never sleeps

Going through service records to try to learn some more about my truck.

-Found the VIP RS300 owners guide, now I know those beeps are oem, need fobs...
-nothing notable, at least the first owner serviced the transfer case a couple times
-a couple o2 sensor failures
-new radiator
-tires have 10k wear look good
-one problem I see po was using fram filters , heard bad things, need to check specifics on this

I found a land cruiser mechanic thx @JeffD who owns an 80 and a 40 who's gonna help me check this thing out from top to bottom keep ur fingers crossed for me guys say a prayer to cruiser dan or something!
Ahhhhhhhhhhhh

Funny thing on Fram filters. The mechanic I used when I got my first car 27 years ago swore by Fram filters and Castrol GTX. Since there has been tons of negative opinions on both. To this day those are still the products I use and every one of my 28 cars, including my 3fe, has had them and never and issue (short of a spun crankshaft bearing on a 1st gen 3.0 4Runner which was not related). I'm sure there's some s*** product out there but I've had good luck. YMMV :smokin:

Needle gun

Just think about when you were playing Halo and you'd pick up the Needler......

It’s also called a needle scaler. You can get one at Harbor Fraught for a pretty reasonable price, but they need a serious compressor to function properly. Don’t use it on soft metal like brake lines or aluminum.

Since you like wrenching, I’d pull that body off for rust mitigation and look for an FJ45 body or FJ40 tub to slap on it.

Thanks @slow95z for destroying our resale values. Honestly, that’s a good price for a rust free Cruiser. What was the story behind it?

Thanks @slow95z for destroying our resale values. Honestly, that’s a good price for a rust free Cruiser. What was the story behind it?

its all about your market. they are just hard to sell here.
here is a link to the for sale thread. took 3 months and me dropping the price over and over to even get a hit.

its all about your market. they are just hard to sell here.
here is a link to the for sale thread. took 3 months and me dropping the price over and over to even get a hit.

They’re money here. That would have sold. Sorry about your dad.

Damn dude. I thought my MN sourced sh*tbox was rusty. You’ve got me beat. I had your attitude once. I’m over it now. F rust, man. Seriously. Left rear will typically be the worst. Pull those bumper wings and I’ll bet the lower rocker is.nowhere to be found. I chopped both sides out and welded in slider/steps. Haven’t finished patching up the rears but I honestly wish I didn’t have to. I hope you don’t have a wife and kids around cuz that much work on a pile might cause a divorce. Not even joking. Honestly, looking at yours, makes me feel better about mine. One day you’ll be looking for a nice rust-free one transfer all of the nice sh*t you throw at this one over the years. I am. I’d almost be ashamed to admit how much money I’ve put into my 80. Especially when it looks like it does currently. But it’s a go truck; not a show truck. And it’s coming around. Finally. I wish you luck.

What's that tool called pneumatic nail gun...?
I should buy a good set of goggles for working down there

Air Needle Scaler

1588164265118.png

dont sweat it bud

think of it this way, working on your rig is cheap therapy...
Well, it's therapy anyway.

Cheap, not so much.......The more I work on it, the more I want to do, thus, spend money, making it not so cheap. :rofl:

I bought this 95 Triple Locked 80 series with 188k miles for 13k back in january. It was always dealer serviced up until I bought it and it had the HG done at 172k miles. It has slight surface rust on the frame but the interior as well as exterior were in good condition. I've had the upper and lower tailgate repainted as well as body mounts and new suspension and new tires as well as Slee Slidersteps. I'm roughly 17k into her. It has had everything serviced under the hood except the Water Pump and Radiator. I don't see myself putting much more money into her besides maintenance. I dont do my own work as my job wears me out and I have a one year old. I can afford to pay someone I trust to do the service. The sliders and little stuff like that I do. Eventually I will buy a 200 series and really preserve that by not driving it in the winter. I could take the frame off and repaint the entire underside but as time wears on and parts become harder to find I dont think it's a smart move. You have to find a nice base to build from, if not then you're chasing things that dont sleep when you're asleep as rust does. Good luck I will be following your build as it evolves!

20200406_185406.jpg

Never got around to taking those frame shots... might tonight.
Also did another wash cycle on the carpets, water was a light brown... not too bad. Clear by the end.
The resolve carpet shampoo foamed up nicely under a little water pressure. Sun dried and soooo ready to go back in.

Removing the seats was surprisingly easy...I thought with my rusty rig it would have taken a breaker, but I was fine.
I bounce back and forth with my feelings on this truck.
The flares are coming off asap for rust assessment.

Looks like I found my rocker,.,.fingers crossed
Hopefully hood and door as well

N
I would powerwash or at least hose off the carpet while you have it out. Don't mess with the jute backing just wash the face of the carpet and let it dry. I bet there has been years of cleaning products put into that carpet and would benefit tremendously from a thorough rinse and scrub with a nylon brush. Image washing your hair and never rinsing it!!!!

I've pulled so many carpets from Cruisers and power washing it will leave it so much softer and cleaner than you can imagine!

View attachment 2287002
Well, took ur advice 😁
since it was out I had to,
Feels ten times better!
Gotta get it in asap, gonna go meet a fellow mudder for the rocker this weekend! Super excited!

I applaud your enthusiasm, your jump in there attitude & determination to get it done. What I am trying to say is with the amount of rust that I am seeing, you don't want to put and lot of money into this reg. Things like dynamat are not going to be money well spent. We still have not seen pictures of the undercarriage of your reg. What I can see is holes through the hood & floorboards, The rear drivers door took a heavy hit. and things like the rusty hood latch are going to continue to plague you. I don't want to discourage you but at the same time I hate to see you through good money after bad. I am really surprised that the LC shop gave you the green light on this reg with what I'm seeing on the out side I am concerned with what the under side looks like.JMHO ;)

Pics up bro, lemme know whatcu think

Got this'94 6 years ago for parts and have put 65k on it DD ever since. It has a few rust problems but not the end of the world for mechanical repairs. In the rust belt it never stops. Scale, sand, wire wheel, sand, treat all you can, - keep up with it annually- fluid film type product, It should last for years. I do almost nothing to the '94 except keep it maintained and hit the big water holes on road to flush it on the this one. It came from northern Wisc. Some day it'll be parts too.

20200427_173104.jpg

20200427_173110.jpg

20200427_173119.jpg

20200427_173134.jpg

Your oil leaks are the LAST thing you need to focus on.........

They are considered life support at this point.......
Bilt man,
I know it's a stupid question but
What would u work on next if u were me?
In all honesty lol

Btw I know u gave me fix for my driver footwell and that is now very high on the list...which u can imagine...ya 😁 thx

Got this'94 6 years ago for parts and have put 65k on it DD ever since. It has a few rust problems but not the end of the world for mechanical repairs. In the rust belt it never stops. Scale, sand, wire wheel, sand, treat all you can, - keep up with it annually- fluid film type product, It should last for years. I do almost nothing to the '94 except keep it maintained and hit the big water holes on road to flush it on the this one. It came from northern Wisc. Some day it'll be parts too.

View attachment 2289660

View attachment 2289661

View attachment 2289662

View attachment 2289663
Family! Lol
I think you have my trucks brother!
Rock on man I knew there were more of us out there,.,.rust on a land cruiser = still a land cruiser ;)

Last edited:
Well, at least it's got rust holes in the hood, so it's got that going for it. Or not.

OP, don't take that the wrong way, just thought it could be funny. Or not.

I would suggest finding out the extent of any remaining rust before putting a ton of money into fixing what you can see. Rear seat belt mount bolts, rear hatch (window and seal), rear quarter panels, rocker panels, etc. I bet you'll find more rust in the body if you dig.
It was funny mr Flanders
So I DID find another big chunk of rust in the driver foot well
I'm gonna be checking seat belt mounts too thx
And I'm taking off flares soon too ;)

Funny thing on Fram filters. The mechanic I used when I got my first car 27 years ago swore by Fram filters and Castrol GTX. Since there has been tons of negative opinions on both. To this day those are still the products I use and every one of my 28 cars, including my 3fe, has had them and never and issue (short of a spun crankshaft bearing on a 1st gen 3.0 4Runner which was not related). I'm sure there's some s*** product out there but I've had good luck. YMMV :smokin:
Good to know and funny story for sure, who knows these days about much...except a land cruiser will run!

Luck is part of this all too, I got high Hope's;)

Bilt man,
I know it's a stupid question but
What would u work on next if u were me?
In all honesty lol

Not a stupid question!

I stick with my assessment of all old vehicles that are being brought back around:
Make it run
Make it stop
Make it safe
Make it reliable
Make it pretty

So, on my list of things, rust falls under make it pretty UNLESS it creates a safety issue such as Fred Flintstone feet through the floor, rotted seatbelt anchors, or rusted of body mounts. Basically anything structural.

You are the one that has to determine what is at the top of YOUR list. I also understand the frustration you feel when you when you see the rust bucket when you look out your window and you want it to look pretty.

Most wives like it to look pretty and could care less if it gets them from point A to B, as long as they look good doing it. That's a big place my wife and I disagree, because she is a very visual person. She doesn't see the fact that I fixed the seals, or changed the brakes, or changed the oil, but she can damn sure see the scratch in the fender from a previous outing and wonders why I haven't fixed that yet.

This is YOUR list.

For me, I always do mechanicals first, but part of that is because that's what I'm good at. I suck at body and paint and, since I have to pay someone else to do it, it hits the low end until it becomes a safety issue. Then it moves way up the list.

Engine operation to make it reliable and something you can count on.
Brakes to make it safe, reliable so you don't kill you, your family, or others.
Drive line, again for reliability
Small electrical such as windows, door locks, latches
Body and paint

Yes, you have a lot of rust to deal with, but you are not the worst on here. I still think that award goes to @Golgo13 .

Pics up bro, lemme know whatcu think
Anything I say will be biased, after 40 years of living in close proximity to the Pacific Ocean I don't by rust. But if you asking your Reg is far past gone Like Slow95Z said it not worth the time and money,others well have a different opinion. For reference this is what my reg look like. Anything that looks dirty is just that mud left over from wheelin, Just sayin
1588186806055.png
1588186837780.png
I do think the is good in your Reg, but it need to be swapped over to a rust free Reg. Cleaned up your locked axles are worth what you paid ;)

Last edited:
Anything I say will be biased, after 40 years of living in close proximity to the Pacific Ocean I don't by rust. But if you asking your Reg is far past gone Like Slow95Z said it not worth the time and money,others well have a different opinion. For reference this is what my reg look like. Anything that looks dirty is just that mud left over from wheelin, Just sayin View attachment 2289742View attachment 2289743I do thing the is good in your Reg, but it need to be swapped over to a rust free Reg. Cleaned up your locked axles are worth what you paid ;)

Omg I need to follow ur thread lol
Looks good bro
Ur frame is shinier than my paint lmao

I'm taking it all with a grain of salt ;)

Another factor obviously..or not.
I would have bought a nicer one, but this is really all I could afford. I know it's not the nicest but I still have an inkling of hope left that she is gonna make it though this and give me at least a few good yrs of service.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom