Baselining maintenance on 70k mile 2003 LX (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just acquired a very nice condition 70k mile 2003 LX. I took it to Hendrick Lexus in Charlotte for some recall repairs, and now it’s time to take care of some mechanical items. There is no evidence that the timing belt has ever been replaced. The drive belt is showing some age. I assume I should get the water pump replaced as well. The dealer also noted that the cv boots were torn (quoted like $1200 to replace).

My question is, I see recommendations on the forum regularly of all of the extra things that should be done while the timing belt is done (bearings, tensioner, etc.) Would I still need to replace all of these things even though I haven’t hit the mileage interval?

I plan to handle all fluid flushes/changes myself, but I think the TB, WB (and possibly CV boots) are more than I want to handle myself.

Any other recommendations for a low mileage 100 that I’m baselining?

Bonus points for Charlotte shop recommendations?

thanks!

I would replace the stuff normally replaced doing a TB job. All of that stuff has to come off to get to the belt anyway, and most of that stuff comes in the timing belt kits.

Jim

No need to assume.....I doubt the water pump and timing belt are even close to needing a change unless you just want to spend the money.

No need to assume.....I doubt the water pump and timing belt are even close to needing a change unless you just want to spend the money.
I definitely don’t want to just spend the money. I only assumed the timing belt was ready because the Lexus tech said to (not worth much to me) and the drive belt is showing some age/cracking. Interesting thought though. Thanks.

I definitely don’t want to just spend the money. I only assumed the timing belt was ready because the Lexus tech said to (not worth much to me) and the drive belt is showing some age/cracking. Interesting thought though. Thanks.
Toyota service interval on TB/WP is 90k....(which is a little early, imo) and you're at 70k miles. I would personally not do anything to the TB/WP until there was a coolant leak from WP or the sound of worn bearing rattling around. One of my 2000 LXs has 244k miles since the last TB/WP service with no issues at all. Just that has saved me about $1500+ that most would have spent on that service twice over. HOWEVER, any LX/LC that is 18 years old and only 70k miles scares me way worse than a well driven item....regarding worn, oxidized dried out parts.

Last edited:
Toyota service interval on TB/WP is 90k....(which is a little early, imo) and you're at 70k miles. I would personally not do anything to the TB/WP until there was a coolant leak from WP or the sound of worn bearing rattling around. One of my 2000 LXs has 244k miles since the last TB/WP service with no issues at all. Just that has saved me about $1500+ that most would have spent on that service twice over. HOWEVER, any LX/LC that is 18 years old and only 70k miles scares my way worse than a well driven item....regarding worn, oxidized dried out parts.
And that makes sense. I think this LX was a “Sunday driver” with regular but limited miles. I may just bite the bullet and do it for peace of mind…

If I were you, I'd find AHC self-service info on here and tackle that first. Then check out squishy bits and replace what is needed. Enjoy the buttery smooth LX ride pronto.

Toyota service interval on TB/WP is 90k....(which is a little early, imo) and you're at 70k miles. I would personally not do anything to the TB/WP until there was a coolant leak from WP or the sound of worn bearing rattling around.
A Toyota service manager told me Toyota recommends TB service every 90k miles OR every seven years, whichever comes first.

My buddy, 30+ Toyota master tech at the local dealership, says every 120k miles is fine, but on a 17 year old truck I've zero question he would recommend the service.

BTW, congrats to @jpip on finding such a low milage truck! Enjoy it!

As mentioned above, timing belt is 90k or 7 years whichever comes first. Rubber gets brittle over time when exposed to heat, cold, heat etc etc - is failure imminent??? Probably not, but you just acquired a vehicle appreciating in price. Spending the $2k to baseline it will surely be a good return on investment and peace of mind for the future.

the faq’s provide a great guide on what to baseline, the timing belt, idlers, pulleys, water pump are a no brainer - and I would get the heater t’s while in there too. All of that maintenance will almost be like a coolant flush so you can cross that one off the list while there too.

the cv boots… yeah get those done but at a reputable Japanese car shop, not the stealership and save yourself about half.

The only thing I wouldn’t trust to an independent is the AHC unless they are well versed on the system (there are not enough of these trucks out there in world for independents to become regulars on it, in fact, here in Seattle we have a shop specializing on land cruisers, nothing else, and they won’t even touch it.) Other independents will, just know, they are probably learning as they go along so your expertise may be as good as theirs.

As mentioned above, timing belt is 90k or 7 years whichever comes first. Rubber gets brittle over time when exposed to heat, cold, heat etc etc - is failure imminent??? Probably not, but you just acquired a vehicle appreciating in price. Spending the $2k to baseline it will surely be a good return on investment and peace of mind for the future.

the faq’s provide a great guide on what to baseline, the timing belt, idlers, pulleys, water pump are a no brainer - and I would get the heater t’s while in there too. All of that maintenance will almost be like a coolant flush so you can cross that one off the list while there too.

the cv boots… yeah get those done but at a reputable Japanese car shop, not the stealership and save yourself about half.

The only thing I wouldn’t trust to an independent is the AHC unless they are well versed on the system (there are not enough of these trucks out there in world for independents to become regulars on it, in fact, here in Seattle we have a shop specializing on land cruisers, nothing else, and they won’t even touch it.) Other independents will, just know, they are probably learning as they go along so your expertise may be as good as theirs.
A Toyota service manager told me Toyota recommends TB service every 90k miles OR every seven years, whichever comes first.

My buddy, 30+ Toyota master tech at the local dealership, says every 120k miles is fine, but on a 17 year old truck I've zero question he would recommend the service.

BTW, congrats to @jpip on finding such a low milage truck! Enjoy it!
Thanks!

Thank you!

Seems like I've stumbled upon a great community here - thanks for all of the replies everyone! I’m hoping to keep this vehicle for its next 20 years, so I’ll dig into some maintenance. It’ll be worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom