Baseline Dyno Results w/15k Miles on Fully Rebuilt Engine - 1995 FZJ80 - 1FZ-F(T)E (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey All!

I'm going to add my recent dyno results to the forum and give a little background on the current state of the ol' girl. This is going to serve as the baseline for my DIY turbo build that I hope to complete sooner rather than later. I've got most of the major components in hand but still need to fabricate intake tubing, downpipe, turbo oil supply line, and a few misc. hoses/tubes. I just completed emissions testing here in Denver, CO and they only performed the idle/sniffer test. She passed with flying colors!!

I also can easily maintain 80+MPH on the highways and have no issues holding 65+ on I-70 heading to the mountains here in CO, but why stop there?!?

Vehicle Specs:
  • Late 1995 FZJ80 - 3X Locked, stock gearing, mild 2.5" Dobinsons lift (new springs on the way), sitting on 37's. :rofl:
Engine Specs:
  • 1FZ-FE late 1995
  • Full rebuild completed June 2022 - All OEM parts except noted below.
    • 20 over (0.50mm) pistons/rings
    • New hoses, seals, o-rings, FPR, Fuel Filter, blah blah blah
    • Injectors were cleaned/serviced locally
    • ARP Head Studs
    • MLS Head Gasket
    • Clevite .25mm Main Bearings
    • ARP Main Bearing Studs
    • Machining/head work was done here in Denver at Gunn Automotive. I can't say enough good things about the guys down there! They are extremely busy, but always kept me informed with progress when needed and their work is top notch. I would highly recommend them to anyone near Denver!
    • New, single cat installed on aftermarket Magnaflow y-pipe. 6" Magnaflow muffler - 2.5" exhaust routed over the frame with v-band clamps installed
Transmission Specs:
  • A343F
  • TransGo shift kit installed
T-Case/Diff:
  • Stock gearing in both t-case and F/R diffs.
    • Plans to install O/D and U/D gears into the t-case will hopefully happen later this year. No plans on new diff gears and will leave those stock.
Turbo Kit Info:
  • Borg Warner s362 SX-E 8376 Turbo
    • Currently has an AGP T3 .82 A/R turbine housing on it but might change that as well...
  • Treadstone manifold (will need T3/T4 adapter plate if I stay with that turbine housing)
  • Turbosmart 38mm External Wastegate
  • Innovate PSB-1 Wideband AFR/Boost Gauge Kit
  • AEM F/IC-6 - Not sure if I will end up using this, but we'll see

Now, on to the fun stuff...

I had the baseline dyno pulls done at 5250 Performance in Longmont, CO. They have an AWD Mustang Dynamometer and Mike was able to talk me through what he was looking for and the settings he was using. All pulls on the attached graph are in 1st gear. His first attempt at 2nd gear resulted in a "time out" because 37's with stock gearing is not the most ideal - which I'm FULLY aware of - so the remainder of the pulls were in 1st and I think he hit around 45MPH. 😅

Results were a bit surprising, especially taking into consideration the elevation at the shop is around 5,000' above sea level. I have a couple of short videos, but will need to post them to YouTube first. I am currently running base 85 octane, with a slight advance in timing to 4degrees (3 degrees factory).

MAX ENGINE POWER: 154 HP
MAX ENGINE TORQUE: 201 FT/LB

At least I know where I'm starting and now it's just a matter of putting in work to get this to the finish line! (Then move the finish line and do it all over again)

Pre Turbo_Dyno.jpg

Max HP.jpg

Max TQ.jpg

Dyno Run.jpg

Last edited:
Umm...does that match factory N/A specs?
Based on this, my untouched 275kmi 1FZ must be pushing about 51hp and 103.45ft-lbs. lol

Umm...does that match factory N/A specs?
Based on this, my untouched 275kmi 1FZ must be pushing about 51hp and 103.45ft-lbs. lol
It is my understanding that most 1FZ-FE engines are in the 120ish HP range and the 170ish Torque range at the wheels. Those numbers also vary depending upon which type of dyno is used for the testing and a few other factors.

You have to love the torque curve on an inline engine!

Thank you for sharing. I'm getting ready to do a baseline on mine before installing all my turbo stuff. How did the truck do on the AWD dyno? Any trans hiccups?

Thank you for sharing. I'm getting ready to do a baseline on mine before installing all my turbo stuff. How did the truck do on the AWD dyno? Any trans hiccups?
No issues on the dyno at all other than the stock gearing sucks. lol

I installed the TransGo shift kit and set it up for "Truck" but haven't had any issues so far! He ran it all the way to redline without any hesitation or hiccups.

I haven't decided yet if I want to re-gear the t-case first or install the turbo. Turbo is closer to being ready for install I suppose...

Last edited:
No issues on the dyno at all other than the stock gearing sucks. lol

I installed the TransGo shift kit and set it up for "Truck" but haven't had any issues so far! He ran it all the way to redline without any hesitation or hiccups.

I haven't decided yet if I want to re-gear the t-case first or install the turbo. Turbo is closer to being ready for install I suppose...
That’s good to know. I ask because the guy that owns the dyno jet that I’ll probably use is wanting to make sure that these have an even power bias and that the load of the rollers won’t jack up the center diff.

I understand the battle, though. I’d like to do the part time 4wd setup and go through the trans along with the shift kit, but I’ll have my turbo stuff ready much sooner. How are you deciding to do the transfer case gears instead of the diffs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom