Barn Find Without The Barn... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

hicruise55

IH8MUD VOYEUR
Threads
Life does you/ya! I’ve been missing for a while! I have never stopped what is now identified as overlanding.
On a trip my GF and I came upon a FJ40 in front of a hardware store, the town it was parked in is off of the beaten path and peaked both of our interest! Her interest being I WANT IT AND I NEED IT!! I did everything I could to keep her from the fever! We drove another 700 miles and talked about it. Was it meant to be?? Yeah! It was a screaming deal!! I have enough projects, she has me as a project!
1978 FJ40 that was in a field for 15+ years! Some ether, some love and it’s headed back to the shop!
This rig is so cool!! I owned a completely stock 1975 in 1992. I’ve had many since, but zero in the beautiful stock form! I can’t wait to give it the love it deserves!
Cruise On!

B576D85B-79CD-4F77-99F8-64F10A86D632.jpeg

9508F4BD-CA9A-4613-8049-FCDDE9C7DDC9.jpeg

Last edited:
love at first sight....let the fun begin~!

Cmon gotta share what you got her for

It is actually my GF’s rig!! (Yes I am a lucky man! ) she picked it up for $5250 and came with diamond plate rear corners(don’t worry), tailgate when the top is off, full convertible soft doors, new solenoids for the winch, and another set of new studded tires/wheels.. also brand new brakes all around
I guess I can’t say “stock”, it does have a V8 (trying to track down the original I6) but runs very very well considering it was parked for so long and it was done right! It has a squeaky throwout bearing sagging headliner but otherwise as to be expected.
Plan is to replace the spring bushings and drive it! On the fence about washing it as the patina is so cool! I did wash the factory Toyota windshield as I’m pretty sure it hadn’t been done in 15+ years!
We’ve talked about power steering but I think it’d be easier with some 33/10.50’s on stock steelies!
It does have some rust(mostly surface), and contemplating blasting it and patching some, but, I just love that patina

Last edited:
Nice score.

Looks like a great candidate for the patina appreciation treatment of a scrub with CLR and a worn out scotch bright pad followed by a wipe down of boiled linseed oil.

Looks like your girlfriend did awesome, hard to find a WA cruiser without huge rust issues. Good luck finding the original 2F. :cool:

Its been in Eastern Washington for the 15+ years, Snohomish before that, staying in EaWa too. I know all about the rust though! My 55 is actually two welded together! Pretty stoked about the 40 though! I traded my 40 for a TRD Supercharger for my 80.

Eastern WA not quite as wet as western WA, but I'd still try and find a splash guard that fits under the radiator. That will help keep the engine bay a bit cleaner in wet conditions, less water getting pumped around by the fan. Nice rig, have fun, and keep her (both of 'em!).

Score.

I’d look at getting a formed hose to replace the flexible one. They have a bad habit of wandering and flexing and getting eaten by belts.

I think it’s a ‘74 Chev pickup hose that’ll fit... but the last time they looked at me funny, walked into the back with the old hose and came back with one that fit. The hose from the ‘70 Bel Aire donor also fit.

Its been in Eastern Washington for the 15+ years, Snohomish before that, staying in EaWa too. I know all about the rust though! My 55 is actually two welded together! Pretty stoked about the 40 though! I traded my 40 for a TRD Supercharger for my 80.

A no.... you a no trade for supercharger.... a no!!

A no.... you a no trade for supercharger.... a no!!

It wasn’t a easy thing to do!! Trade for something I put a ton of work into, for something unobtanium.. my 80 just does everything for me, my wheeling isn’t very hardcore anymore (I guess depending on who you ask lol) very happy to get to work on a pretty stock 40 though! My 55 is a little pulled apart right now even, but no motivation to get it going cause I’ll just drive the 80 :/
The 40 will be just a garage and weekend rig

A9F89123-7064-4508-9446-35060DBEF706.png

7A5FDF72-CB97-4AA2-93E0-C33734205712.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom