Barn Find (in a Garage) 1983 SR5 4X4 long bed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Downey was a rather well known Toyota off-road, aftermarket provider back in the day. They did a lot of mini-truck and Land Cruiser stuff. They were almost the only game in town if you had a mini-truck. Of course, times have changed. They are no longer in business.

Some more historic eye-candy from way back in the day. Wish I had kept my older catalogs from the 80's.

View attachment 2018762
Man I miss Downey, I remember going there when I was a kid with my father to buy some cantilever shackles for our FJ40. They made some really cool stuff, I'd like to find some of their shackles for pickup! Cool pictures.

Somewhere I think I have either a Downey or Desert Rat catalog from the mid to late 80s. Now I’m going to have to go take a look. I still have the original Daylighters from my ‘81. I should probably mount them on my 4Runner, but they are a bit wiggly after all the years of off-roading.

I'm going to let you in on a little not-so-secret, secret. On the passenger side door lock cylinder is a code. That is the key code that you can take to the dealer and get keys cut. Assuming your dealer has two brain cells to pinch together. Sometime the newbies look at you stupid because they want the VIN and such, but the old timers will know. The VIN is worthless on these old trucks for getting keys made. But that cylinder is golden. The key code is usually a letter, followed by four numbers. Just be aware that there are some little plastic clips that need to be undone to get the cylinder out. You will break them. So plan on getting them ordered too while at the dealer getting the keys made.

You're welcome.
When I went to pick it up yesterday, the owner had no keys! No way to unlock steering!
I called around and found a locksmith to come out.
I pulled that passenger lockset myself and found NO codes at all!
The truck was stolen back in 1991 or '92 and when he got it back I think he changed out the locks and ignition.
We did find the original key with the code tag attached but it did not work.
The locksmith was able to cut a key from the door lockset and $200 bucks later, off I went.

Downey was a rather well known Toyota off-road, aftermarket provider back in the day. They did a lot of mini-truck and Land Cruiser stuff. They were almost the only game in town if you had a mini-truck. Of course, times have changed. They are no longer in business.

Some more historic eye-candy from way back in the day. Wish I had kept my older catalogs from the 80's.

View attachment 2018762
Is that a stepside bed?! Was there a conversion for one of those back in the day?

Yes. Fiberglass.

Man that's cool..wish they were still around. I've seen guys using the Chevy stepsides but that fiberglass bed is something else!

This makes me miss my old 82 short bed [sniff].

Here is a pic when I brought it home...
20190701_165919.jpg

That is an absolute unicorn! Man this is awesome bud, there is nothing cooler then this right here. :). Congratulations! Preserve it bud, not alot of these finds left. I bet she fires right up with a little tune up!
She did (eventually) fire right up!
Drained and filled coolant, New Battery, Changed oil, added Marvel Oil to each cylinder, disconnected the fuel tank, pulled the coil wire, cranked it over for a bit, stuck the intake and return fuel lines in a gas can and she fired right up.
Radiator flows fine, no leaks.
Replaced the radiator hoses, Chased all the heater hose blockages but the one under the intake that supplies the heater core is still blocked. I'll have to get her to my mechanic and on a lift to get good access to that.
Fuel tank is being refurbished and should have that back soon. Pick-up tube was as blocked as if someone pushed caulk through it. Tank repair guy is cleaning that out and the Sending unit. That corroded sender working is still a question. I ordered a new one that is taking a month to come from Thailand. Hoping the old one can be restored with some cleaning.

When I got my 60 seriues fired up after sitting for 15 years I did much the same. Also i sprayed the hard fuel lines with carb cleaner and blew them out with a air compressor from front to back. A couple wods of goop came flying out. Im still switching out fuel filters on regular.

100% make sure to clear the fuel lines front to back and keep spare filters on hand. Had an 86 f250 that sad for 5 years and didn't clean the lines. Had to rebuild the new carb within 100 miles.

Very cool.

That goofy front axle truss thing is vintage NWOR.

Any updates? We need more pics please. ;)
Yeah i second this, as many as you can take, this is an AWESOME find. More like once in a lifetime find.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom