Barn doors for my CampTeq 80 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LandCruiserPhil

Peter Pan Syndrome
Supporting Vendor
Threads
The only thing that is keeping from cutting the roof of my CampTeq 80 series is the need for barn doors. Cabin access with a tailgate or side door is a PIA. I have a friend with a 70 series where barn doors are factory and is excellent for a poptop application. The main active door can be opened without swinging the out the tire making a swing away workable for my needs. Plus getting my 35" spare out of the cabin would free up a lot of room.

So who has done it? Can it be done? Who can hook me up?

photo-24.JPG

IMG_0554.JPG

Last edited:
There are a couple older threads duscussing this you probably found. They mostly dissolve with no real resolution. Cdan mentions the openings are different shapes so a half cut (1/4 cut if ya can ;) ) may be the best way to go to get all that would be needed.

Cdan Snip from 2004....

The whole rear opening is different and there are inner quarter reinforcements. It would be a very involved conversion. The only practical way to do it, as I see it, would be to have a donor vehicle available so you could keep "going back to the well" when you find something else that is different. :-\

Almost anything is possible if you have a good fabricator that has a soft spot for wierd projects and a well-stocked billfold to pay him with.

Last edited:
Talking with a friend from Venezuela suggested importing a diesel powered donor vehicle and cannibalize it for my needs and part the remaining out. Not the cheapest option but definitely doable. Im open and look forward to any other suggestion options to consider.

I will reach out to @cDan to conform the opening question.

Talking with a friend from Venezuela suggested importing a diesel powered donor vehicle and cannibalize it for my needs and part the remaining out. Not the cheapest option but definitely doable. Im open and look forward to any other suggestion options to consider.

I will reach out to @cDan to conform the opening question.
A diesel variant with barn doors will likely be 1HZ powered, not 1HD-T powered. I also am under the understanding that Venezuelan 80's are actually produced in-country and diesel variants were rare.

A diesel variant with barn doors will likely be 1HZ powered, not 1HD-T powered. I also am under the understanding that Venezuelan 80's are actually produced in-country and diesel variants were rare.

Actually his suggestion was Japan, Australia. and Saudi. I reached out to him due to his over the top knowledge of LC.

My recommendation is to get rid of that silly campteq rig to a guy from Iowa and start over with a ambulance doored 80.

FWIW, I loved my ambulance doors on my 70 Series. I would kill for ambulance doors again. This is one of the reasons why I am leaning towards a 70 Series for my next rig.

My recommendation is to get rid of that silly campteq rig to a guy from Iowa and start over with a ambulance doored 80.

FWIW, I loved my ambulance doors on my 70 Series. I would kill for ambulance doors again. This is one of the reasons why I am leaning towards a 70 Series for my next rig.

Totally agree but you messed up... I’m in Colorado, not Iowa. :flipoff2:

I can get what is needed and I have someone that can do it but the full price for the conversion is about same as a nice 80.

Note: the rear opening is not the same

Last edited:
I've done it the other way on my 80. It's not a hard job. You need a good bodyshop to get the doors properly aligned. You will need all the brackets on the door to make things easier. You will also need to reroute your rear gate wiring to accept the new door setup. You'll need some grommets.

I didn't fill and close the old door holes on the body. I just got plastic caps to close them.

If you need any pics please let me know.

Good luck

Due to the cost barn door conversion made no sense going forward

I have since adjusted my attention (with my wife's support) to something like this

30085262_1808385059463964_4593720247537631232_n.jpg

Last edited:
Yes please.

I can help with the wood trim.

That's another way to go about it, lol!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom