Barn door (aka 'Standard Opening Back') changes in physical design, wiring, etc. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Acquired some spare barn doors recently. They are for a later config than my 80's existing ones so RHS one has the third brake light whereas as the existing RHS one doesn't.

I noticed one oddity about the LHS one where the Toyota logo badge location has two holes hiding under where the badge fits, but on my 80's current LHS barn door the badge location has no holes.

Aside from additional wiring for extra brake light (which I don't know yet if it will work straight off when plugged into existing wiring), what other variations were there?

I recall there's a change to one of the shaft/pivot mounts for the wiper arm assembly on the LHS barn door as a few yrs back I found the part numbers on a couple of the wiper assy items had changed.

That's all I've worked out so far.

I don't use the rear washers for the barn doors (one of the first things I 'deleted' 10 or so yrs ago) and on my existing doors the washer nozles are removed and holes in the door skins closed up. Did anything about the water lines and plumbing to the barn doors ever change?

Since I’m from NA, I know nothing about the barn door versions, but took these stills from a European 97 GX for sale video I just posted. Not sure if this pic will help you with the arm.

2324A6B8-C251-45DC-96BA-A1A3D154B62A.jpeg

Here's one difference. On the small side (left) barn doors for later years the logo badge location has these hole hiding behind where the badge should be.

The main difference is I believe this - the additional of the 3rd brake light on the RHS barn door from 8/92 onwards. The big plastic piece covering that miniscule two wire lead has a big crack, so I just took it off completely and will figure out a better way to secure the wires.

Something no 80 series has as standard - exterior grab handles at the back doors. My 80 has these on the original barn doors I'm the process of replacing, and I've never worked out where to get anything like them, so I will undo the current ones and see if I can re-use them.

The closest I can find at the moment is something like this.

I've seen a handful of other vehicles with the exact same ones my 80's barn doors have.

Also on the subject of the barn doors, I'm noticing the top hinges especially on my current ones and the replacements are very worn and have a lot of slop. New hinges appear to still be available but what can be done with the current ones if anything? I don't thing the hinge p/n's for the barn doors ever changed so probably never been any revised designs for them.

A thing I noticed hen I took off the smaller barn door (and the other side one is the same). Under the hinges where they fix to the body I found surface rust but also some sort of seal goop. I presume the back face of the hinges was smeared with something at the factory in order to provide a way to prevent water getting in.

The rust I found is nothing that's not easily dealt with, but what sort of goop would have been used? I cleaned it and hit both hinge mounts on the body with a couple of coats of aerosol auto paint to cover up the mess.

I could go with something like Selleys D-mastic, or use nothing. I have never worked on a tailgate 80 so not sure if hinge mounts for that config have the same issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom