Barking brake stuck ! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

David*BJ70

Looking forward to reach the end of the world
Threads
Parking brake stuck !

(I can't change the title.... IT PARKING not barking !!!)

I make a rear brake job (hardwear kit and shoes) last weekend.

Everything inside the drum look good and work great.

But... when I use the barking brake and desengage it... I feel it stuck. The Cruiser can move (!) but stop when I realese the gas pedal (Iwhen moving slowly).

OK easy to understand... the barking brake not realese good.

So I remove one bellcrank (yes only one... the night come fast here in Montréal !) and it look to work and move good.

The only way to desengage the parking brake is by pulling with my hand the cable behind the rear wheel.

So :

Is it the time to change my cable brake ?

Is it the time to change some bellcrank springs ?

Is the problem comming from inside the drum ?

I'm going to see my mechanic next day... put I want some input first.

Thank.

Last edited:
I second that (not that Wayne needs confirmation :)).
Had the same thing happeneing, and there is no way reviving the old cable, too much rust/crud/grease in it.
new form toyota it cost me 78$, and it is worth it.
Jan

Woof Woof :D

OK thank.

For your information :

Parking brake cable for BJ70 :

46410-60240 : 87.50 $ (cdn $)

Hey canadian cruiserhead... anyone know if NAPA can get that part for a cheaper price ? Or somewhere else ?

David*BJ70 said:
Hey canadian cruiserhead... anyone know if NAPA can get that part for a cheaper price ? Or somewhere else ?

That's a pretty involved piece. I'd be surprised if the aftermarket will have anything. If you can get it for $87 it's not a bad deal. I think I paid a bit more for a BJ42 one recently

Me too, Did you look to see that the cantilevers at the drums aren't sticking? That's usually the first thing to sieze.. usually before the cable... Inside the drum is usually pretty good its the lever with the spring on the outside of the drum that gets tight. 60's have the same issues.

Haven't we been over this before...? ;)

...OK... stupid (almost) question :

Is there a difference between BJ60 and BJ70 parking brake cable.

I belive yes.... but who know ?... Sometime Landcruiser suprise me ! ;)

Another vote for the brake cantilevers/bellcranks seizing. Those boots are wonderful dirt and moisture traps. I fill mine up with grease to try keeping dirt away from the lever.

Not only the cable across the axle is too long on 60 series parking brakes, the distance between the brake lever and the rear axle is also all wrong and al the chassis attachment points are all located in the wrong spots.

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom