1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

barfing biff??

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by jeffb, Feb 23, 2004.

1. jeffb

jeffb

ok guys,
    i'm a newbie to 4wd so, expectantly, i make the usual apologies for ignorance. my 96 fj80 has 93,000 on it. i am starting to get some clicking when i accelerate into a turn from a stop. both sides. in my fwd saab when i hear clicking i know the outer cv is going and in need of replacement. am i to expect to replace these puppies?
    any suggestions would be appreciated. thanks.

jeffb

2. shocker

shocker

3. tucker74

tucker74 Moderator

You probably just need to re-pack your birfields - I did this job last weekend without a hitch. Get to know cruiserdan - he can hook you up with all the part you need, and don't wait to long. If your birfs crater - you're looking at some serious dinero.

Tucker

4. semlin

semlin discouraged user

Media:
    Albums:
    Jeff, if they are at the point of clicking, they may click again after the repack. Once they are worn they are worn and fresh grease may not help, especially if you wait too long. You need to think about how much the clicking annoys you because you have several options:

You could just repack and hope the clicking goes away. It might but you won't be able to tell until it's back on the road. Even if it clicks again the chances are you will be able to drive on them for quite a while and then get some warning before they go (louder clicks!)

You could have the cv joints rebuilt at a local cv shop if you don't mind having the truck off the road while they are doing this. Check the shop out carefully. My experience with a rebuild was bad, but in theory it should work.

you could buy some out of a low mileage wreck. This is the best option if you can find some cheap and nearby. FYI, it does not take long to tear down a birf to remove them.

you could go crazy and buy new OEM birfields but the price is going to shock you.

At this time there is no recommended aftermarket birf although sleeoffroad is working on one.

good luck

5. jeffb

jeffb

thanks guys. i half expected that replacement was imminent in the future. i will break them down this weekend for an inspection and repack. i'm not a hard core trail guy so just may learn to put up with the clicking. i've been searching the 'for sale' section for some but none yet. guess i'll start saving for some new ones.
    if any one reading this has some fj80 birfs, let me know. thanks again and you all have put together a GREAT tool for cruiser owners.

jeffb

6. Pitbull

Pitbull

I thought I read that you could exchange them left to right and wear them the other direction? This would take away the clicking and get you some good additional miles. You might check out this option and you could do this during your repack.

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">