Barefoot Expedition Trailer Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pic of the first attempt sitting on the finished product.

image-4007156102.jpg

Bi-annual thread resurrection...
Using the trailer over the last couple of years, I have discovered that the umbrella rarely leaves its stowed position. As a result I have decided to reallocate that storage space.
I have decided to move some tools and recovery gear from the nose box to this newly cleared space.
In preparation for a trip out west next summer that will result in a lot of solo travel in places where winch anchors are few and far between I have purchased a pull-pal. Hopefully it spend the entire trip stored right next to my hilift (the other recovery tool I don't want to use).

Last edited:
Initially I had planned to build a chuck box/ field kitchen (and would still like to), but I have not been satisfied with any of my mock ups to date. I stumbled upon this "camp pack & prep tote" from REI that is essentially a duffel bag with an external frame that doubles as the base for a roll top table. This is dimensionally exactly what I was looking for, offers plenty of storage, and allows me to cook away from the trailer. (This is a good thing as My cooking often leads to excessive smoke/messes)
0483C610-1BFC-43C4-9495-75FB1EDC08C7.jpg

Transport location
D224D5E0-694C-4A34-9C6A-DC11B88891F1.jpg

Deployed with contents (all items are in the bag in the first picture)
Red/black bag- cast iron skillet & small (solo cook set)
Green mesh bag - plates & bowls
Blue mesh bag - dry food storage
Black pouches- flatware
Red mesh bag-cups

If I need to carry more dry food I use a cheap canvas brief case that lies flat on top of all the other bags inside the duffel when closed.

In reality this is overkill for most of my short semi local trips. Quite often, especially if I am by myself I cook over an open fire using a roasting fork & small backpacking pot.

Last edited:
Do you mind saying what type of mig welder you have? Is it the right size? I've spent more money getting things welded and I can weld, so, why not do it myself.

Do you mind saying what type of mig welder you have? Is it the right size? I've spent more money getting things welded and I can weld, so, why not do it myself.

It is a millermatic 211. It has done everything I have ever asked of it without breaking a sweat.

It is a millermatic 211. It has done everything I have ever asked of it without breaking a sweat.

So, I just look at the new and improved Millermate 211. Don't get the new model! The reviews are pretty bad. You can still get the older model (the one you have) (I hope).. Thank you for the help!

Time for another biannual bump.

I have taken way fewer pics of the trailer while using it than while building it, but here are a few

Close to home in the
Chattahoochee Natuonal Forrest
IMG_2688.JPG

IMG_2773.JPG

Land between the lakes
IMG_3275.JPG

Lewis & Clark State Park , Iowa
IMG_3280.JPG
IMG_3282.JPG

Near Belle Fourche, SD
IMG_3331.JPG

Near Big Timber, MT
IMG_3358.JPG

Kimomun Creek Provincial Park, BC
IMG_3366.JPG

Colorado River
IMG_3490.JPG

Road out of where I camped on the Colorado River
IMG_3491.JPG

I have one of those REI duffel kitchen setups and love it!

That said, after several years of use, are there any design changes you'd make? I'm in the planning phase of a camp trailer, and really like your setup.

Thanks, I've enjoyed using it and would not change much.
Before I did my great divide trip I changed from 30" to 33" tires so the jeep and trailer were the same. I would not do that again and have considered going back. Also, most of the places I use the trailer (southern Appalachian Mtns) there is plenty of natural shade so I don't carry the umbrella anymore. If I were going to spend much time in the southwest it would be much more important to me.

IMG_4246.JPG
Part of what has me thinking about going back to 30" tires...

Bump the cruiser tires up to 31"
And drop the trailer back to 30"

Good to know, thanks. I already have a utility trailer that I built a few years ago and keep pondering modifying it for a camping setup. Your thread has given me several ideas.

Our TrailBlazer camp trailer came to us with 33-12.50's under it. I've never regretted moving it to 31-10.50's when it needed new tires.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom