bare metal in the cab. prime?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have about 90% of the paint out of the tub of my cruiser and I'm looking for some ideas on what kinda primer to use. for the final finsh I will be putting a no-slip/bed liner rattle can coating on it. I have a rattle can that says rust stop on it but I havent read anything eles on the can. I dont know if its a primer or not? has anyone used this stuff?(the rust stop). I will have pic later this week, I'll be buying a star!

I have a couple rust stop spots on my cruiser from the PO, I havn't invested in any yet although it looks like a good product. It's not primer though, CCOT sells it.

I rattle canned some liner inside my old one but didn't use primer, it wore off fairly quickly in the hi wear spots but stayed on the non without any probs. Shoulda used a primer I guess.

B6i6K6e6R6b6O6y said:
I have about 90% of the paint out of the tub of my cruiser and I'm looking for some ideas on what kinda primer to use. for the final finsh I will be putting a no-slip/bed liner rattle can coating on it. I have a rattle can that says rust stop on it but I havent read anything eles on the can. I dont know if its a primer or not? has anyone used this stuff?(the rust stop). I will have pic later this week, I'll be buying a star!

Are you talking about using that widely available "bedliner" that's in a blue can (I don't remember the brand name)?

I think that you might not be very happy with the longevity of that stuff as a floor coating. It'll start peeling with any contact with oil or solvents and it's not very tough - it'll wear off pretty quickly wherever your feet are.

Better stuff is available for home application.

B6i6K6e6R6b6O6y said:

Try zerorust....it's a primer and rust protection
zerorust.com
the bedliner you are talking about .. you won't like it , duplicolor ?
it stinks, I used gatorguard from eastwood for mine
the smaller kit is enough to do the interior or try durabak.com

search the forum there are many people using durabak

rust stop is not a primer it is a phosphoric acid solution that converts rust

yeah its the dupli color.

the rust stop stuff that I have is a paint. I dont think that its a phosphoric acid, but I'm going out to my shop today and i'll read the can and see what it says.

Yup duplicolor .. don't bother it's not a good product I used it before for a roof rack it was peeling even from the wind alone, even if your preparationis perfect it doesn't offer any scratch protection
Zerorust is great and you might even like it without a bedliner top coat
if you just spray the ZR on and top coat with a nice acrylic clear enamel
it will give you better protection than the duplicolor stuff

I did a search and found some good stuff about zr. so where can you buy it? IE autozone napa? or do you have to order it? Has anyone used the saftey red color that they have? and what about some other bed liner type of stuff have you guys used? besides the duplicolor and huculiner.

Yeah, that's the brand I couldn't remember, Duplicolor. Not up to it's claims. Just a rough texture paint really.

POR-15 hands down.

its the best stuff to protect your tub. Then spray the bedliner over it.

by the way you got one heck of long user name............must be fun to type in all the time

brownbear said:
POR-15 hands down.

its the best stuff to protect your tub. Then spray the bedliner over it.

I hate POR-15 :)

hey honk what do you have against pro-15.

I'm going to go look at some hucualiner this weekend and see whats going to cost. and is there some place that I can find some zerorust? besides buying it off line.

Here is a site that sells ZR for a little more per can and a good comparison test of ZR vs. Por 15.

B6i6K6e6R6b6O6y said:
hey honk what do you have against pro-15.

I'm going to go look at some hucualiner this weekend and see whats going to cost. and is there some place that I can find some zerorust? besides buying it off line.

I think napa might carry it but if you buy it online they are very fast
and don't overcharge you with shipping, if you have a compressor and a cheap $10 spray gun it will look professionaly done, if you brush it on it will still look greatlook at my ZR job , I did top coated with krylon rattle cans because of the color difference but otherwise they looked better than then finished product
https://forum.ih8mud.com/showpost.php?p=626387&postcount=29

I have used a zero rust and it definetely works!!!

I think I'm going to go with the hurcaliner. I went to autozone and thay had a "kit" for 89$ I think that might be a bit much, it had a gallon of the linner stuff and looked like some kinda of paint roller. they also had a smaller can just by its self, how many of you guys have used the hurcaliner? how much did you use? did you just buy the kit with a gallon in it?

B6i6K6e6R6b6O6y said:
I think I'm going to go with the hurcaliner. I went to autozone and thay had a "kit" for 89$ I think that might be a bit much, it had a gallon of the linner stuff and looked like some kinda of paint roller. they also had a smaller can just by its self, how many of you guys have used the hurcaliner? how much did you use? did you just buy the kit with a gallon in it?

herculiner is pretty good if you are only doing the interior 1 gal is too much
look at the gator guard this is what I used
http://eastwood.com/shopping/search...te15=0&attribute16=0&RS=1&keyword=gator+guard

with the small kit $49.99 I did the interior plus the rear bumper

it's a 2 part epoxy really though but once you mix it you need to finish it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom