Banjo lines - replacing? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, I finally got my project BJ42 (titled as a 79 BJ40 but since I have a 3B/H55 from a 12v BJ70 I'm calling it a BJ42 - make sense?) running and actually drove it a bit, though not street worthy yet. I think I'll post another thread with a link to that video and ask for suggestions for a new name for myself on Mud. Anyway, to my question. This engine sat for 20+ years in a barn. The guts are good, 420PSI across the board, but I'm finding lots of leaks. Specifically, to get it running I had to remove the weep and fuel feed line banjo due to a leak on the steel weep line return side. Also, the steel line from the fuel filter to the IP intake had a small leak (I split a rubber fuel line and stopped the leak by clamping that. So, can I just get some appropriate sized banjo fittings and make up new lines - or better yet, have a hydraulics shop do that for me? Any reason that the IP feed line is steel rather than rubber?

Thanks.

The banjos are generally good for life, but when disturbed new copper/aluminium crush washers should be used either side. Where are the actual leaks in the line?

The green arrow points to a leak in the steel line from the handpump up to the filter. I have a piece of rubber hose covering the leak with hose clamps - it's not leaking at the banjo, just on the steel line.

The circled area is a bunch of pipethread/hose connectors I put together since I was getting a leak in the steel weep line return. This was just to get it running for the 1st time in years. Notes: the zip ties are there to keep the IP control in a neutral position to run, and the rope routed out the front headlight hole is to kill the motor.

Banjo leaks.jpg

Anyone? I know that my 3B sat in a barn for 20 years before I got it, but surely it's not the only one where the steel line has rusted out or gotten a hole in it. Appreciate your inputs.

Hi there, not sure if this is of any help but I recently replaced my hoses from the lift pump to the filter and returning to the IP. Had them made up by the local hydraulic hose guy.

1658133456564.jpg

Actually, that reminds me, years ago I remember having an enzed hose guy came out in his van and he soldered a hard return line for me on my old b engine. Wasn't too expensive, really good bloke.

I'm in California and my project is in Indiana so I can't get a better picture. I don't think a picture will help anyway - there is a hole in the steel line from the fuel filter to the IP. I have to change it out to something as it leaks. Neilo - your lines look great. I may just see if I can get a hydraulics shop to make me a new line, just have to be sure the banjo ends are the same, right?

Thanks for the replies.

I'm in California and my project is in Indiana so I can't get a better picture. I don't think a picture will help anyway - there is a hole in the steel line from the fuel filter to the IP. I have to change it out to something as it leaks. Neilo - your lines look great. I may just see if I can get a hydraulics shop to make me a new line, just have to be sure the banjo ends are the same, right?

Thanks for the replies.
Correct. I gave the hydraulics guy the old hoses, just the bolts will suffice for sizing the banjo correctly. I picked up new aluminium washers X8 for the banjo fittings. In my picture you may also be able to see spacers I made to raise the filter housing up a little. This gave me space to remove the fuel filter with the hoses still connected and without the need to remove the housing in order to get the filter off. From memory I had the hoses extended approximately 50mm to reach the new position of the filter housing.
Good luck with your build, it's a lot of fun tinkering......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom