Bang for your buck rear bumper? (+ pics of trashed one) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, so basically, my rear end got crunched by an acquaintance (friend would be going too far). he is gonna pay cash, skip the insurance companies on both ends. I'm one of those college-kids-on-a-perpetual-budget-because-they-are-in-tuition-debt stories. So I plan to get an aftermarket bumper with the money. Slee's is the ultimate IMO, but I can't justify 2k for a bumper sadly. I won't be going for a swingout immediately, but would like to leave the option open.

I have searched quite a bit, and gone over the FAQ. people are very good about talking the pros/cons for their bumpers, but cost does not seem to have been an issue for most. only real cons on any of the bumpers is that the arb is bulky and lame, the kaymar is expedition based, the 4x4 labs required extensive work (but is a great product)

Here are the bumpers I have found being produced -

4x4 labs (not bolt-on)
bump it off road
ipor
slee (expensive and best prolly)
kaymar (lighter duty)
hanna quality
ARB (bleh)
other?

From a pure price point, the Bump It Off Road is a winner (sub 900). However, It is a little squarish for my taste. Hanna and IPOR look solid. 4x4 labs is beyond my expertise, with the sawzalling and welding. While the Slee is tempting, for the 1950, I could score both a bump it off road rear and a shortbus front.

Thoughts?

Having an estimate done this week. The rear bumperette is trashed. the actual bumper is also messed up. about 5" dent on the right rear panel (which connects to the entire car). ran into a claims adjust on the street, we talked for like 30 mins, and he estimated 1800-2500 for repairs. so my budget is roughly 1800-2500 minus price to fix rear panel (so un-dent, repaint, clear coat, etc).

photo-98.jpg

photo-97.jpg

photo-96.jpg

Running tally in <2 months ownership:

2 panels keyed
smashed windshield
stolen keys
crushed bumper
front right bumper scratched (but not dented) by some fxxx

Had my first car all of 7 years, not so much as a scratch on it. So this has been a learning experience, to say the least.

Don't be surprised if they total it. Mine is a year older and just needed the 1/4 panel repaired. Insurance company totaled it and wrote me a fat check. In return I wrote them a skinny check and banked the difference. YMMV

The 1/4 panel of rear bumper isn't too hard to fix. I backed my truck to a pole during a skip trip. It was not as bad as yours. Anyway, I ordered a used panel skin from Curiserparts, and even had them paint to the match color. It was about $160 including shipping, IIRC. (You may want to skip the painting part as you might need a body work on your lower corner for which you will need to paint it anyway). I then took out the bracket and straightened it out a bit. (again my mounting bracket was not as bad - maybe you need a new one? I would try to fix the old one first). Put everything back together - good as new. I also repainted the hitch (was rusted pretty bad) while I have it off.

Of course, it is a different story, if you had plan for off-road bumper upgrade.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Ok, so basically, my rear end got crunched by an acquaintance (friend would be going too far). he is gonna pay cash, skip the insurance companies on both ends. I'm one of those college-kids-on-a-perpetual-budget-because-they-are-in-tuition-debt stories. So I plan to get an aftermarket bumper with the money. Slee's is the ultimate IMO, but I can't justify 2k for a bumper sadly. I won't be going for a swingout immediately, but would like to leave the option open.

I have searched quite a bit, and gone over the FAQ. people are very good about talking the pros/cons for their bumpers, but cost does not seem to have been an issue for most. only real cons on any of the bumpers is that the arb is bulky and lame, the kaymar is expedition based, the 4x4 labs required extensive work (but is a great product)

Here are the bumpers I have found being produced -

4x4 labs (not bolt-on)
bump it off road
ipor
slee (expensive and best prolly)
kaymar (lighter duty)
hanna quality
ARB (bleh)
other?

From a pure price point, the Bump It Off Road is a winner (sub 900). However, It is a little squarish for my taste. Hanna and IPOR look solid. 4x4 labs is beyond my expertise, with the sawzalling and welding. While the Slee is tempting, for the 1950, I could score both a bump it off road rear and a shortbus front.

Thoughts?

Having an estimate done this week. The rear bumperette is trashed. the actual bumper is also messed up. about 5" dent on the right rear panel (which connects to the entire car). ran into a claims adjust on the street, we talked for like 30 mins, and he estimated 1800-2500 for repairs. so my budget is roughly 1800-2500 minus price to fix rear panel (so un-dent, repaint, clear coat, etc).

Running tally in <2 months ownership:

2 panels keyed
smashed windshield
stolen keys
crushed bumper
front right bumper scratched (but not dented) by some ****

Had my first car all of 7 years, not so much as a scratch on it. So this has been a learning experience, to say the least.

UCB,

I'm sorry to hear and see of your misfortunes with your rig, but I have to ask you: why are you so upset about the cosmetics? Aren't you going to use it off road as well as the seemingly hostile city environment? And your taste for bumpers leaves me predicting more dissatisfaction from you in that area. Yeah, we want our rigs to look great, but in the overall scheme of things and considering the environments we use these great rigs in, doesn't it make more sense to armor it up, and leave the petty scratches and dents as badges of honor in the performance of duty? - Just my .02 and maybe save you some "grinding your teeth" over the small stuff.

P.S. The close encounters, both front and rear, I've had with more serious damage have been avoided by my (distasteful-to-you) bumpers. So in reality, they've paid for themselves! Yes, I might not have the super approach and departure angles that some gleefully brag about, but I tell you, I don't regret for one minute, the investment I've made in my
(sig line) bumpers.

That estimate is probably pretty close, but definitely go to a Toyota body shop and get a full estimate. You might remember that a drunk guy smashed into my rear end several times while trying to turn around a stolen 1957 boat in our narrow parking lot recently. I have an LX450 so I have the body cladding surrounding the rear side marker light. That protected most of the paint, but the cladding did get pushed into the body about 1/2" (tennis ball sized). He also banged up the PS running board and took a few small chunks out of side cladding too which brought the estimate up pretty quick according to the body shop. I think the total was around 2300 including the paint, parts, and labor. I ended up having my ins. cut me a check minus my 500 deductible because the drunk was uninsured.

To save on repairs, you might want to look into pulling that dent out yourself and throwing down some bed liner like a lot of guys do. Just an idea.

What kind of wheeling are you planning on doing when you are no longer a slave to the university? (I'm in the same boat)

If you are looking for straight bolt on then Mike from Bump it offroad has by far the most cost effective option. He makes great products and he is a stand up guy to work with. He's actually finishing up a set of sliders for me as we speak. He doesn't have the overhead that the bigger vendors have so he is able to keep the costs down. Since he custom builds each one he can modify it to how you want it if you have something different in mind. He uses quality materials, so I'm sure his bumper is just as strong as the rest of the bumpers.

If cutting off the rear cross member doesn't bother you, then the Labs bumper is also a good option. Since I'd imagine Luke is somewhat local, you could save on shipping. If you don't want a swingout, you can get the regular bumper/hitch welded/finished and powder coated for $900. From what I understand, its not too tough to install. No welding, just cut off the cross member, grind down the welds and bolt it on. I'm sure Luke would do it if you don't have the tools, but you'd have to ask him what they charge for that. Edit: You would also have to carry the spare in the cargo are since you'd lose your stock carrier.
HTH

Last edited:
I didnt interpret UCB's post as not wanting aftermarket. he was just making some comments on bumpers. I do agree with you 80t0ylc to armor it up and leave the the dings and scratches. I tried to baby mine the first few years I had it. Im over it. LOL. I still wash and vaccumn and keep my truck looking nice, dont fret over new scars anymore ;).

UCB-
4x4Labs is my personal fav. Although its not bolt-on, makes a great project with fellow cruiser friends to help you out, and you get to learn along the way. My 2nd fav is Hannah.

I think he was asking opinions on "bang for the buck" rear bumpers...At an rate, I am a firm believer in the "Buy once, Cry once" mentality of buying something of high quality so that you only buy it one time. All those bumpers are good in different respects, but I think you need to consider what your main purpose for the bumper will be.
As mentioned earlier in this thread, it seems like the little things are getting to you, and while annoying, an armored rear can get you into more trouble as you do more hair brained things with your vehicle.
As for OPINION, I have researched heavily (with the search utility) and found that for my needs, a combination of expedition and rock crawling, Slee is the way to go. No cutting or welding, can still use the factory hitch, and to me it goes well with the look of the 80.
I have read that Kaymar swingouts, while good, rattle like hell. Cant tell you much else.

80t0y, I see what you're sayin about 'badges of honor' from offroading. I put this in different a camp, mainly, someone else pays for this dent!

Also, I am not a rock-crawler in the traditional sense like many of the guys here. I cover terrain in the process of getting from A to B, prolly more expedition use by definition, but some rocky stuff here and there and plenty of snow / dirt / gravel. I am set on getting an aftermarket bumper, have no interest in getting a stock one again, either for city or offroad use.

thanks for the input folks, i'll do some good hard thinking between hanna/slee/bumpit. They all seem excellent for my uses (expo / crawling in the process)

late

edit - thanks blue phoenix, you hit the nail on the head for sure. i agree that slee, if i had my choice w/o any considerations, would be the one

Last edited:
i have to admit that my custom bedliner is not covering a pristine truck. The bedliner covers my bodywork/repair of crushed rocker panels and rear corners and cracked flares. Bedliner is very forgiving of dyi body work. Check my sig if you want.

Slee's is the ultimate IMO, but I can't justify 2k for a bumper sadly. I won't be going for a swingout immediately, but would like to leave the option open.

Just my $.02 but if there is anything you don't like about the BumpItOffroad design, tell Mike and he'll change it. I've seen the bumper in person and I can tell you the way the sides are integrated into the design is slick. If the corners are too much of a corner, Mike would solve that happily. His stuff is stout. If you eventually want swingouts, work that out with him and it will happen.

Just my $.02 but if there is anything you don't like about the BumpItOffroad design, tell Mike and he'll change it. I've seen the bumper in person and I can tell you the way the sides are integrated into the design is slick. If the corners are too much of a corner, Mike would solve that happily. His stuff is stout. If you eventually want swingouts, work that out with him and it will happen.

X2. He was more than willing to work in changes I had in mind on my build. IIRC the bumper he has on his site was just a prototype version and he was trying to make it look as clean/factory as possible. Send him an email and I'm sure you could send you pictures of other bumpers he has built. He is an excellent fabricator.

Cool! Got more options today than when I was armoring up my 80. Vendors seem more flexible and willing to work with you to customize their product to fit your needs. I'm with you on stock bumpers! They serve no purpose as far as I'm concerned.

In my opinion, the 80 is exceptional as an expedition rig, also as family hauler for day trips in to the outback and for DD in ALL kinds of weather. The best all around performing SUV ever made. But,it is too big and heavy to excel at rock crawling or any extreme type wheeling. So to me, to spend any money for my 80, on mods that are for these extreme versions of the sport is going to leave me dissatisfied. Because I know, I'll want to keep throwing money and effort to make it perform well outside of its element. Bigger tires, better approach and departure angles, more flex, more clearance, on and on, it will never end! So I stop the madness before it begins - that's the most bang for my buck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom