Ballpark Estimate...transmission fluid flush, replace filter and gasket. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Don't do it.

Don't need to replace the filter or gasket.

For $100 in transmission fluid , a bucket and an hour you can do a fluid EXCHANGE. Not a flush. A flush can cause issues.

I have had my transmission done twice. Once when I bought it with 114k on the odo and once recently with 260k miles. Both times I found a shop that had a fluid exchange machine (I think BG is one such brand). After much research I settled on Amsoil synthetic ATF. It's the only Amsoil product I have ever used and it's not cheap but I had it put in at 114k. When I had it done again at 260k (in June) the shop owner was astounded as the fluid coming out looked as good as the fluid going in. It was very hard to tell the difference. I didn't let them use any conditioning or "flushing" products; just straight up Amsoil. There is no filter to replace and I think the gasket is actually just FIPG. I dropped the pan once before having the fluid exchanged the first time and there was nothing in the built-in metal filter (more like a strainer) so I've never bothered to drop it again. A lot of people drop the pan periodically and top up with new fluid which exchanges maybe 20% of the fluid at a time (exact figure is in this forum somewhere) but I have preferred to do it once.

The shop shouldn't charge you more than $150 (I think I paid around $100) to exchange the fluid if you are supplying the ATF.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom