Ballast Resistor Question: Do I need one with a Pertronix conversion and stock Toyota coil? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thank you!

Here's a pic of the starter. I only see two wires - one from the battery and the smaller one that I assume goes to the start position on the ignition switch.

On the coil, I removed the previous pic because I had it labeled wrong. The black wire from the disty goes to the negative coil terminal and the red wire from the disty to the ballast resistor. And then there are two more red wires from the green connector (they are bladed in) that come from I don't know where and attach to the ballast resistor.

Assume one of those 3 red wires is supposed to attach directly to the + terminal on the battery for starting?

Starter.jpg

Coil 3.jpg

Ok then. The bright red wire is not from the starter but rather going to the dizzy and would that be going to the Pertronix? Is the Pertronix already installed?
if so, it should be wired like this.

Petronix-3.jpg

And on the starter, You have only one small wire on it besides the big battery cable? Correct?

Yes, correct on the starter. One big wire to the battery and one small wire.

Yes, the Pertronix is installed. It is wired like your pic. Except I have no idea where the 3rd hot wire is from? Maybe I could try unhook the 2 other red wires one at a time and see what happens.

So there is not a wire that bypasses the resistor for starting? Maybe there's why I got confused and thought it was wired wrong. I was under the impression normal operation runs through the resistor, but during start it was bypassed increase the voltage.

OK! You've got it. Except for that third wire. The 3rd wire could be feeding power to the carburetor fuel cutoff solenoid. I you remove those two dull red wires, and with the key in "Run" position, touching them together would activate the solenoid and produce an audible click. That is if one those is for the solenoid.

So there is not a wire that bypasses the resistor for starting?
Correct.

I was under the impression normal operation runs through the resistor, but during start it was bypassed increase the voltage.
This is correct if you had the bypass operational but you do not.

Thank you so much! I really appreciate all the help! BTW - I unhooked the 2 other red wires and the fuel cut-off solenoid line. They all tested for continuity to each other. Both red wires to each other and each red wire to the solenoid. I will monkey some more with it tomorrow.

Does anyone know offhand the part number for points?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom