Ball on transmission drain plug (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I tried searching before posting but had no luck with the search function issues. Just did a drain and fill on my ‘79 4wd with 4 speed. When I pulled the drain plug I heard a thunk in the drain pan and to my horror saw what looked like a ball bearing. The drain plug looked noticeably taller than normal and after a closer look the ball fits on top of the drain plug and there is a spring that looks like it holds the ball into something when it’s put back in place. Is this a normal thing? First time I’ve ever seen any thing like it.

Pics required. Does not sound normal.

Are you SURE you removed the drain plug? We need a photo. But ya... that doesn't sound good.

Are you SURE you removed the drain plug? We need a photo. But ya... that doesn't sound good.

I’ll double check but it was the bigger plug on the bottom of the tranny. I’ll pull it again and take a picture.

Do you have a L45 or L52 trans? This is from the FSM that shows what looks like the drain plug. No spring or ball bearing...

15740438112823390231701752953590.jpg

Oops my bad you have an L43 I think. My FSM is for 83 trucks sorry. But you should be able to find a similar pic online.

Ok, took a few pics. First one is the location of the drain plug. Next one will be the plug removed with the ball on it. The next one will be the plug with the ball removed, then one of the fill plug.

BD244921-9F09-4577-A618-C0809A2B974E.jpeg

86BA4CA8-D037-44A9-8A20-3A7D6B36A3CD.jpeg

6B381E29-0791-454C-A811-1362A9433168.jpeg

Last one

BA55A9DA-E894-45B9-B361-F45AF16E0F3E.jpeg

That does indeed look like the drain plug, and the 24mm size seems to confirm it. I would be calling Marlin first thing to find out what's up with that ball. Or post in his forum, with photos: Marlin Crawler - Online Forum - Index

That does indeed look like the drain plug, and the 24mm size seems to confirm it. I would be calling Marlin first thing to find out what's up with that ball. Or post in his forum, with photos: Marlin Crawler - Online Forum - Index

Thanks for the input. Does the spring that’s in the drain plug show up in the picture? I can see it but I know it’s there so it’s easier for me to see.

Yes, I can see the spring. That to me looks like a shift detent ball, which your transmission and transfer will have, but usually not on the bottom. But I've never been inside an L-series, so they may be different. I've only opened up W and R series.

Something tells me the plugs/bolts were switched at some point. I agree, that looks like a dent ball/spring.

Something tells me the plugs/bolts were switched at some point. I agree, that looks like a dent ball/spring.

So the drain plug is actually supposed to go where the full plug is?

So the drain plug is actually supposed to go where the full plug is?
No. The drain and fill plugs should look the same. The only difference is the drain will have a magnet built in. Something goofy is going on.

I have never we driven this truck yet
No. The drain and fill plugs should look the same. The only difference is the drain will have a magnet built in. Something goofy is going on.

I haven’t driven this truck yet, bought it not running and am slowly going through it. Now that you mention it though when I have taken it in and out of gear to push it around the garage the gear shifter feels really sloppy and loose. Should I order new fill and drain plugs as a first method to fix?

Let's back up. I'm not familiar with your tranny. Does this look anything like what you have? It does show a spring and ball on what looks like a drain plug. I guessed on your truck, and this is for a RN3#, RN4# model truck.

tranny.png

The part is labeled "Holder, reverse restrict ball." Are you sure you pulled the drain plug. This is another pic of the case which does show a drain plug on the side of the case. #33104 is called "plug sub-assy, drain."

tranny2.png

@pappy I’ll double check when I get home. It’s possible that I pulled the wrong plug. I was just assuming this was the drain plug do to the size and it being on the bottom.

Would be nice to find I had pulled the wrong plug and found the detent ball loose and replaced it and the sloppy shifter is fixed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom