Ball on transmission drain plug (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I don’t think that plug has anything to do with your sloppy shifter. I’ve got a 79 with the L43 as well and my shifter is very sloppy.

Mystery solved. Got back under the truck this evening and took another look. Almost missed the actual drain plug again as it was totally covered up with grime. Cleaned up around the plug and removed it and there was the typical drain plug with magnet. In the picture the drain plug is the one mounted vertical on the right.

A748BA42-AA49-4678-8C87-CA4CD45F0CD9.jpeg

I don’t think that plug has anything to do with your sloppy shifter. I’ve got a 79 with the L43 as well and my shifter is very sloppy.

You sir are correct. Shifter feels just as ridiculously sloppy. Any ideas on this? Maybe worn linkages?

:bounce::clap::bounce2::slap:

For the sloppy shifter I found that Marlin Crawler makes some replacement shifter seats, but I didn’t see that they had anything for pre 81 trucks. I was going to give them a call but haven’t gotten around to it yet.

For the sloppy shifter I found that Marlin Crawler makes some replacement shifter seats, but I didn’t see that they had anything for pre 81 trucks. I was going to give them a call but haven’t gotten around to it yet.
I saw the same thing on Marlin. Even the parts catalog doesn't show a shifter seat. Not sure if the thing labeled "retainer" would have something to do with it. A post up at Marlin might help.

shifter.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom