1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Balancing big tires

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by tewlman, Feb 25, 2004.

1. tewlman

tewlman

time to balance my new 37's on my homemade beadlocks and was what would be the best plan. my tire guy recommonded counteract balancing beads and his manual said to use 8 oz. for this size tire. seems to me that it may not be enough. should i use more or are there better plans?

2. woody

woody unhelpful spotter Staff Member Admin

Media:
    Albums:
    Golf balls....I've used them with my 38.5 SX's and no rim weights...no complaints, price is right. 37 outta need 4 per tire.

3. tewlman

tewlman

which iron would i use to install those Woody?

4. woody

Media:
    Albums:
    pitching wedge works the best....

smartass...lol :flipoff2:

5. TOZOVR

TOZOVR

Golf Balls or BB's would prolly do....the Beadlocks might make things harder though.

6. tewlman

tewlman

yeah i know, everybody likes a little azz, but nobody likes a smartazz.

no really, are they loud? are there any potential pitfalls? are they rough until you get enough speed for centrifigal force to take effect?

As you can tell from the photo, i haven't put all the bolts in yet. just put 20 lbs in the tire yesterday and now its all gone. i'm hoping that is just bypassing around the bolts. is that your guess. i put it on once and found a big leak in my weld, fixed it and when mounted 2nd time no audible leaks but didn't make it 24 hrs.

thanks for the sense of humor! :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

7. TOZOVR

TOZOVR

To Quote Grant, "What kind of golf balls? Distance or accuracy? I'd imagine that the accuracy balls are better for picking a tight line up a trail, but the distance are better on the highway."

8. woody

Media:
    Albums:
    hehehe

I hear them at LOW speeds, almost never in town, occasionally on the trail as they bounce around and contact the inside of the rim. 2.5 years like this tho, no complaints. Considering I tore off wheel weights every trip and chunk the tires frequently, this is a cheap way for "permanent" balancing.

A trip to Walmart and $20 for some cheap balls is worth the experiment...I actually scrounged mine from the local driving range...

9. tewlman

tewlman

[quote author=woody link=board=1;threadid=12060;start=msg110367#msg110367 date=1077746723]

A trip to Walmart and $20 for some cheap balls is worth the experiment...I actually scrounged mine from the local driving range...
    [/quote]

LMAO,that gives new meaning to the word "cheap". hell, i'll give it a try. i read some posts on pirate where some other people run the same thing. i have a few at the house anyway(i sucked at golf and quit)

Thanks,

Steve

10. cavsfj40

cavsfj40

just curious how loose objects inside the tire actually balances them. I know it works but i have wondered why for some time. How do they couteract the out of balance tire?

11. woody

Media:
    Albums:
    the objects position themselves based on the tire harmonics....zero effect at low speeds, but get up to 20+ and they will position themselves dynamically to balance the tire...much like Equal does or Centramatic wheel balancers do.

Golf balls are just cheaper than Centramatics and don't blow out of your valve stem when you air down like Equal can. ;)

12. cavsfj40

cavsfj40

so...., this is a sure fire way to have my tires pretty well balanced at speed? I will be using bbs, but its the same idea. i can mout the tires but i have no way to balance them in the garage

13. woody

Media:
    Albums:
    my 38.5" tires, with major lug chunks, on Allied steel beadlocks and no rim weights, run 65mph VERY smooothly...

"sure fire" is never guaranteed....

14. mancinator

mancinator

will the golf ball trick work for 35s as well? im all about cheap too...as i just cant justify paying soem greasy guy 20 plus bucks per tire to moutn and balance when ive done it myslef and if i had the guts coudl walk over and use the machien to do it myself.
    golf balls sound so much more pleasing.

15. willsta2000

willsta2000

Hey Russ

Try spraying your wheels with soapy water to find all those leaks,... will show all but the slowest leaks.

16. woody

Media:
    Albums:
    golf balls work for any size tire....dynamic balancing doesn't care about tire size.

Golf balls are NOT for everyone or every driving style....since mine is almost entirely offroad use, it made sense. If it were primarily on-road use, I'd get them balanced professionally. Nice thing is, you can toss a few golf balls in there and try it for next to nothing (other than yer time)....if ya hate it, then spend the $$ later. (and get odd looks from your tire guy...lol)

17. TOZOVR

TOZOVR

Woody nailed it there. On my 33" LTB's we used BB's and had no luck at all...tried from 10oz up to 25oz...no worky...ended up taking 27oz of regular rim weights and rotating the tire on the rims about 8 times LOL. We did get it to balance to zero!

RJ

18. cruzer

cruzer

Freind has his 38x16s balanced using the static balancing beads. They stick to the tire in the proper locations so your tires are then balanced at any speed. They seem to work. I think golf balls are cheaper.

Woody-

No problems with the golf balls getting caught between the rim and tire when you squish the tire on rocks ect?

Stew