Baja Scenario, input? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Skillet

Skillet
Threads
Here is the plan:

Next October I plan on a two week trip down the Sea of Cortez in my 80.

By that time I will have this new (to me) FZJ80 set up properly with:

*OME 2.5
*BFG A/T 33 x 12.5 or similar size
*Locks fixed :mad:
*ARB front with WARN 9K
*Slee or Hanna with tire carrier on the rear (any ideas on mounting a couple of
Jerry-Cans on Slee Rear?)
*Slee Sliders with CAT plate
*Various other skids
*Roof rack with tent
*Auxillary fuel tank in place of spare
*Some PIAA or IFP or similar with the Slee harness

I am sure there is more that I do not even know yet.

Questions are:

Can anyone think of other things to think about?

Perhaps a SPARE PARTS list I could put together?

Remember, my '93, by that time will have 200K.

Can I rely on this transmission to get me through? Isn't it from a big truck or somthing?

How about the motor? According to smog, not burning any oil, compression seems good. It does idle a little rough once in a while...

Birfs were re-packed 10,000 miles ago by dealer...:doh:

Just want to have my bases covered with this vehicle.

Let me know if anyone else wants to join me!:beer:

I did this same trip five years ago on my XR600, 1600 mile round trip strictly on a dirt bike...I could make a list for anyone who wants to do that!

Thanks in advance for input.

Here we go!

Hey Whitey

I strongly recommend a nice GPS unit with the Baja maps!

I just got back from the Baja1000 and wouldnt even fathom going to the areas we were in without a GPS! Driving on dirt roads in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night is exciting and fun, but a very easy way to get lost and in a lot of trouble! The maps and GPS we used were key in our success out there! We drive a chase truck for one of the class one cars and need to drive quite a bit, usually @ night time when trying to read maps is a huge PITA, the GPS and maps loaded onto them were one of the most important tools we had!

I bought the maps from LBmaps and they have all the roads, rivers, dirt roads, freeways, and fuel stations on them! LIFESAVER for sure!

Here is my setup:

My GPS unit: http://www.gpscity.com/item-garmin-gpsmap-276c/276c.htm

LB Maps (both the Navigator and the Expeditioner): http://lbmaps.com/

Last edited:
MoJ said:
Some pretty good discussions on expedition setups

https://forum.ih8mud.com/search.php?searchid=591290

I didn't see any mention of the PHH - Definitely replace it if you haven't already.

Jason!

Anyone have the actual Toyota part number for that PHH? I am perusing the invoice for all of the work that was done on the car a year ago and I just want to see if it was actually done...the starter was replaced so it would be interesting to see if the dealer did it when it was easy (er) to get at.

I'd suggest a few "security" items too:
kill switch, antitheft lugs, cables, padlocks, etc and also a gas can with a level mark, funnel and filter material, etc. and the like. Remember that while Mexicans folks are for the most part very friendly and honest, there is also a lot of poverty and some crime and tourist gouging, and you may well be out of sight of civilization for stretches at time. Basically the same things you'd prepare for if you were to drive around So. Central LA for a while plus issues having to do buying gas on the side of the road off a barrel...

btw, while mentioning security, be sure you don't have any loose rounds, let alone a gun, in your truck down there....

Get in touch with Hilltpper here on mud. He's done that trip and I think he has an excellent write up in the trails forum here and some in outfitting.

I've done this trip many times, but never in an 80.:idea: Might have to christen the LX.

It looks like you've got a good game plan, if you can complete your to do list by then. Other than carrying extra u-joints, oil/grease, tools and various "soft" parts like belts and hoses.etc., I would also recommend carying two spare tires, if possible. I do like your choice in tires, but baja rocks are sharp, and it's very unsettling to be in the middle of the Vizcaino Desert, get a puncture, and have to proceed on your only spare.:frown:

I once went through three Firestone AT's :mad: taking a side trip to see some petroglyphs. Two spares didn't help me then, but luckily, I wasn't alone. I was able to find a good price on BFG AT's in Guerrero Negro though.:cool:

This is a great trip, and well worth the preparation. You will carry the memories with you forever.

I wouldn't feel comfortable out there without a dual battery setup personally. That's tops on my list...truck's no good if it won't start.

M :cheers:

You should ask in Outfitting and more importantly talk to Hltoppr. He's done this trip and he did a lot of research beforehand. Plus he's a cool dude.

might not hurt to carry along a funnel with a fine mesh screen to filter any suspect gas you buy before it goes into the cruiser. I'd also carry some HEET to take care of any water in the gas and maybe a bottle or two of Redline fuel system cleaner. Stuff works wonders with bad gas.

Outfitting - search on Baja and you'll get a great thread!

F*** it....$800 cash for two weeks and turn South....have fun! ;) (I wish I could do that, but I'm too anal-retentive. :eek: )

My full spares kit and setup was posted awhile ago in Outfitting. If you don't get the spare tank in, don't sweat it too much, but carry at least one 5 gallon jerry (NATO kind).

Cheers,

-H-
PetesPalapas.jpg

A box of condoms and "JR's Guide to El Primo Tequila" is good too (PM me for that one). Seriously, the dual batteries are a must and a second spare could come in handy. If you leave the pavement down there its easy to pop a tire and then you're down to no spare.

The end of the 1st week in Nov. would be good time. The Baja 1000 will be going on at that time and there will be a lot of American support all the way down if you run into trouble.

I feel 2 spares is over rated every year many race vehicle complete the the 1000 miles on the same set of tires. I have traveled down many time and never had a flat tire or bad gas.

LandCruiserPhil said:
I feel 2 spares is over rated every year many race vehicle complete the the 1000 miles on the same set of tires. I have traveled down many time and never had a flat tire or bad gas.

If you are staying on the main road, one spare is probably enough. As a Land Cruiser owner, I tend to want to get off the pavement and Mexico is no place to be without two spares, IMO. The good news is if you have to leave your truck, you won't have to come back for it because there'll be nothing left to get. $15,000 truck vs. $150 tire. I'll take the 2nd tire.

extra inline fuel filters, octain booster, gas cans..w/gas...

Being a San Diego transplant now living in the land of eternal drizzle (Seattle). I/we spent alot of time south of the border. Gas stations are undependable to say the least. And there are some stretches where you can barely make it from station to station....then to find it is closed or out of gas....so there's where a couple 5s come in handy. More than once I have had to buy gas from a local in some town out of a 50 gal. drum in his back yard, being hand pumped by his 12 yr old attendent/son. And when getting gas down there take a look at what your putting into your rig....sometimes its GREEN !! and pinging is very comon on grades and if really lucky you may even get a case of Montazuma's revenge for cars (water in the gas)...last time I had this it took 2 bottles of booster to get her running well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom