Baja Rig Revisited! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.powerwagonlocker.com
Well,

I just returned from 5 days at my parent's farm in Missouri. As I have posted before, we are prepping our new FJ 60 for a 6 week adventure to Baja. Monday was the first time that I have seen the truck in person after buying it from a guy in Arizona in Feburary. Well, I would have to say that I am thrilled with the truck! It is awesome! The list of previous modifications is extensive including, BDS suspension, ARB bumper with Warn Winch, Kaymar Rear Tire Carrier, Mean Green Alternator, and the list goes on and on...

Well, we decided that there were a few areas that needed some attention. This weekend we added: 1) Front ARB and compressor with tire inflation kit, 2) Dash Grab Bar, 3) ARB Fridge with Engle Load Lock, 4) Power Tank, 5) Dual Batteries including Stainless Battery trays, two yellow-top Optimas, 200A Battery Seperator and custom battery cables, and 6) light tan Tuffy consol! We also drove the truck about 250 miles. It is going to be perfect for the trip! The last thing that we did before leaving was add the ARB roof rack. We will need to add the roof top tent and a couple other odds and ends and then we will be ready to head to Baja!

We also prepped the 12' Zodiac that we bought for our trip. Man with a 25 hp outboard, that thing really boogies! It is going to be a blast!

Thanks for all the help and advice that I got off of here! I am still looking for a 2nd spare wheel!

Have a great day,
Dan

DSC02234.JPG

DSC02236.JPG

DSC02239.JPG

DSC02250.JPG

And, here if the full album!

http://imageevent.com/rockinjwranch/danstriptomo?n=0

Last edited:
That's a great looking 60....BTW where do you live in MO. I'm in KCMO and setting my 60 up for adventure travel as well. Just broke it in on a 1500 mile road trip.

I've always wanted to BAJA, but me and some guys are doing Colorado this summer (60's, Rover and Jeep).

Good luck!
P3060001.JPG

I flew in and out of KC. My folks live in Cross Timbers, MO, south of Warsaw. I current live in Boston, but we are preparing for a move to Shanghai in August!

Your truck is looking good as well!

Have a great day,
Dan

For Baja you'll want to think about a larger or auxiliary fuel tank and/or fuel cans......you fill up when there's fuel available not when you're low.

Rig is a Beaut. keep up the good work.

SLOwag,

I have been working with Man-A-Fre on the fuel issue. I went back and forth a lot on where to store it. I considered the extended range tank. I even figured out that Kaymar builds dual spare swing arms for their bumper that will work on the 60. And, I also considered placing the second spare on the roof, but decided that I would be better off carrying my second spare in the stock location. So, I am having Man-A-Fre's fabricator build a three jerry can holder for the Kaymar Rear bumper. I am really excited with the solution. Pictures and details to follow!

Dan

Wow, I finally figured out how to link to pictures directly from the album.

Thanks to everyone who has steered my upgrades and have pointed out things that will help me be more successful in Baja.

Any other suggestions?

Have a great day,
Dan

Beautiful truck. That thing looks really really clean.

Any ideas on how to get the outboard motor on the roof rack, and keep it there? It weighs about 105#. I am 6'4" and can probably get it up there, but the thing is pretty awkward..

My idea was to build a pallet. Using a piece of plywood that will fit snuggly between the rails on the rack, I could attach two 2-by stringer, cutting one to the profile of the motor cowl and the other to the profile of the lower unit. A couple of ratchet straps to hold the motor to the "pallet" and a couple to hold it to the rack and it would be secure. I could add some handles to the pallet to make lifting it easier. But, heavy! I also have a pelican case that I think the whole thing would fit in. I could do a similar thing with ribs inside of it.

Other thoughts? I would like to avoid putting it in the truck because of the gas. Maybe I could bolt it to the front bumper i.e. Beverly Hillbillies

Thanks for the pointers!
Dan

DSC02279.JPG

DSC02270.JPG

Last edited:
When are you going to Baja? I'll be there August 5th thru September 3rd...

June 8th through July 18th! Then we are driving up to Yellowstone for a float trip on the Yellowstone river before heading back to Missouri. By the 5th of August we will have moved to Shanghai for a new job! It is going to be a 90 mph summer. The back-to-basics time in Baja will even it all out!

Dan

June 8th through July 18th! Then we are driving up to Yellowstone for a float trip on the Yellowstone river before heading back to Missouri. By the 5th of August we will have moved to Shanghai for a new job! It is going to be a 90 mph summer. The back-to-basics time in Baja will even it all out!

Dan

That's awesome. Sea of Cortez mostly or do you have a route planned out?

BTW, you might..want to think about a trailer for the zodiac. Just my 2 cent.

The more weight you have, the more problems your gonna run into IMO. Considering the roads etc..

Total weight of the zodiac and motor is 240#. A trailer might be nice, but I really don't have time to get one ready for the trip... I am living in Boston, and only have one or two more work days on the rig before we leave (the truck is in Missouri).

We don't really have a route planned. Amber has identified a couple resorts along the trip. Other than that we will probably bounce around. Scuba diving and snorkling will be in Sea of Cortez. But, we will also likely do some surfing and camping on the Pacific side because of cooler temps!

Have a great day,
Dan

Total weight of the zodiac and motor is 240#. A trailer might be nice, but I really don't have time to get one ready for the trip... I am living in Boston, and only have one or two more work days on the rig before we leave (the truck is in Missouri).

We don't really have a route planned. Amber has identified a couple resorts along the trip. Other than that we will probably bounce around. Scuba diving and snorkling will be in Sea of Cortez. But, we will also likely do some surfing and camping on the Pacific side because of cooler temps!

Have a great day,
Dan

Couple of suggestions. Look up Bahia Asuncion on the pacific side I.E. Shari's place http://www.bajabnb.com

Bahia Los Angeles Area South to La Paz on the Cortez side.

Get with the Nomads for details

bajanomad.com

Good luck, PM me if you want any info...put in countless hours of research already.

Have fun.

Thanks for the tips! I have spent quite a bit of time researching the time, but this whole relocating to China thing is interfering, now. I have found bajanomad.com an invaluable resource! We are both really excited about the trip. Hopefully I will have a chance to post some trip reports before you head out!

Thanks again,
Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom