Baja GPS Maps! These Rock!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
youtube.com
Hey Guys

I just got back from the Baja1000 and i brought my Garmin 276c loaded with the new Baja Maps from www.lbmaps.com for testing and chasing.

These thing rock and were VERY accurate and helped us out quite a bit! They had most of the Pemex stations, dirt trails, roads, freeways, and such that we need to navigate around in the middle of the night! Driving on dirt roads in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night is exciting and fun, but a very easy way to get lost and in a lot of trouble! The maps and GPS we used were key in our success out there! We drive a chase truck for one of the class one cars and need to drive quite a bit, usually @ night time when trying to read maps is a huge PITA, the GPS and maps loaded onto them were one of the most important tools we had!

I bought the maps from LBmaps and they have all the roads, rivers, dirt roads, freeways, and fuel stations on them! LIFESAVER for sure!

Here is my setup:

My GPS unit: http://www.gpscity.com/item-garmin-gpsmap-276c/276c.htm

LB Maps (both the Navigator and the Expeditioner): http://lbmaps.com/

No, this isnt a commercial, just posting this for anyone that travels to Baja and that owns a GPS unit! I am very happy with these!

Great Writeup Scott!

I have tried a few differnent versions/brands and the ones from LB are the best for sure! I can also overlay the topo versions with the street version and they work awesome!

I will be in touch with your shortly about a Baja trip i am planning!

Nice website you got there! Its a great thing your doing for the sport!

Come on and hurry I want the comparison on those 2 roof top tents. I need to get one soon. Als heading to Baja in april next year. Please tell me the best reomte beach camping spots!
Have fun
Chris

expeditionswest said:
Thanks Mr. Mangler :)

I leave the 26th for Baja Sur... All the way to Cabo! Yee ha.

Have a good time! And make sure to waypoint all the cool must sees to share!

Just curious, do you carry a Sat phone with ya?

Boston Mangler said:
Have a good time! And make sure to waypoint all the cool must sees to share!

Just curious, do you carry a Sat phone with ya?

When I go into mainland Mexico (south of Sonora) I do. I have never carried one in Baja, though I might on this trip because of some work I need to keep with.

I have been very impressed with the performance of the Globalstar units. We had one in the Sierra Madre and it was flawless.

cpg said:
Come on and hurry I want the comparison on those 2 roof top tents. I need to get one soon. Als heading to Baja in april next year. Please tell me the best reomte beach camping spots!
Have fun
Chris

Hey Chris!

I will be glad to fill you in on the beach camps. I have several in mind.

I have narrowed the two best tents to the Eezi-Awn and the Autohome Maggolina.

Here is my quick summary:

Eezi-Awn: Better value and more robust

Best mounting design and strength
Dual density mattress has an edge in comfort
Best ladder design and quality
Excellent tenting material improves insulation and keeps the tent dark in full sun (needed for AK in the summertime)
Compact package when folded allows for more space on roof or bed.

Autohome Maggolina: Better convenience and great attention to details

Beautiful fiberglass work, with excellent fit and finish
Great attention detail (quilted ceiling, 12v reading light, etc.)
Tenting a little thin IMO, no light control
Ladder bends under my weight (6'1" and 220)
Thick mattress is very soft
You can leave the bed set-up, including pillows! (big advantage)
Very fast set-up
Mounting durability questionable, but not tested long term
Lift mechanism is sweet and strong
Big footprint required, but has better aerodynamics.

We will have both of these tents on the Baja trip (on nearly identical Tacomas), so there will be a more detailed report after I return.

expeditionswest said:
When I go into mainland Mexico (south of Sonora) I do. I have never carried one in Baja, though I might on this trip because of some work I need to keep with.

I have been very impressed with the performance of the Globalstar units. We had one in the Sierra Madre and it was flawless.

Yeah, we used both the Globalstar and the Iridium @ this years 1000. The Iridium seemed to work flawless if we were calling a land line or a cell phone, but were very hard to get them to connect with the other sat phones we had. When they did though, they were impressively clear!

Just an FYI, there are place that you can rent them fairly cheap if your doing an exploration trek and want that added safety!

expeditionswest said:
We will have both of these tents on the Baja trip (on nearly identical Tacomas), so there will be a more detailed report after I return.

Cool, i am looking forward to seeing what you come up with. I too am trying to decide between the eazi awn, the hannibal and the maggolina!

whatever happened with the review of the new inexpensive chinese one out there (around $700) ? I thought you liked it?

e9999 said:
whatever happened with the review of the new inexpensive chinese one out there (around $700) ? I thought you liked it?

They asked me to hold off on the review after I sent them the testing results. They are working on a redesign to address some minor issues. Overall, a great value still.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom