BAJA CLAWS or NOT ??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.4x4crawl.blogspot.com
I am considering putting 46" Baja Claws on my new custom rock crawler currently being built by Jeremiah Proffitt (www.proffittscruisers.com). I would like a larger/wider tire for stability and the Baja Claws are actually stand 46" tall and 19.5" wide. My preference would be the Swamper IROC; however, it does not come in a 44 - 46" tire and the 49's are too big. The 44" Swamper TSL's are an excellent tire but are actually only 41" tall.

That being said, if you are running the Baja Claw, I would like to get your opinion on it's off-road (rocks) performance.

Thanks.

Russell

Wild at Heart said:
The 44" Swamper TSL's are an excellent tire but are actually only 41" tall.

:confused: :confused: Interco's website lists the OD of the SAM-42 as 44.2"

Perhaps someone was quoting you the next smaller Irok size below 49s?

As far as the Claws go:
I think there is a reason you don't see competition rigs running Baja Claws. For a company as steeped in the off-road culture as MT, I think if they worked on rocks that they would have somebody sponsored and using them.

I've seen them work well in certain conditions, but I've seen them suck on numerous occasions as well. That's the extent of my knowledge on the subject.

in aus there are heaps of rigs that run the claw in offroad comps and werock events.

big in Aus, not so much in the US...not even sure they are doing their sticky compound anymore.

Charlie Rupp loves his Claw's in the South Dakota stuff...but IMO my SX's performed better. (hard to judge, significant rig differences)

The pure size of a 46-49" tire makes some performance details a non-issue, so it basically comes down to the stickiness of the rubber....

you will likely not be impressed with their sidehill ability, but otherwise outta like them.

I'm not sure how 6% tire change makes them "too big"....lol..... going from a 37 to a 39.5 is a similar percentage increase.

i know that a one of the guys in Aus is running the super sticky compound but apparently he's the only one in aus that has access to them due to a sponsorship deal.

Russell, I know you know my opinion on Claws. I think they suck, but we have already been over that.

What you have just said in your last post is the biggest problem.

30 spline outers on a D60 are about as strong as a Cruiser axle with Longfields.

Don't go spending the money you are having JP build you a bad ass buggy and roll it out of his shop on 30 spline outers.

If you do, don't run tires bigger than 40's. Even then, bring spares.

44" TSLs are much larger than my 42's and 46's are just plain huge.

Remember, tire weight and rolling mass when you figure how your rig will perform with the tires you choose.

For your rig, 42 x 15 x 17's IROKs WITH 35 spline outers would be a great choice.

wngrog said:
For your rig, 42 x 15 x 17's IROKs WITH 35 spline outers would be a great choice.

I'd tend to agree with this....nice tires, excellent performance, not stupid-wide.

Missed the 30-spline note....yikes...carry spares :D (and remember, they are notorious for taking out the detroit at the same time.....)

Thanks to all the input / help / opinions, I just hung up w/ Proffitt and canned the Baja Claws. Also made the following adjustments.....

35 spline outers
CTM Joints
44" Swamper TSL's
15" or 17" TrailReady BL's w/ Alum Ring (still undecided)

Frame goes out for powdercoat tomorrow. Pictures coming shortly.

Other specs: Chev. 5.3 ltr. efi Vortec, TH400 auto, 3.8 t Atlas, 4-link, 1/4 eliptic rear, Dana 60 front, Dana 70 rear w/ Detroits, Sway-a-Way 2.5" RaceRunner Coilovers in front, Bilstein's in rear, full hydrolic steer, Warn 9.5Ti Thermometric winch, Red/Black. Road trip scheduled for end of August. :bounce2:

RA

ahhhh......swampers, swampers, swampers. hmmm.....which sounds cooler claw or.....SWAMPERS!

claw

but swampers rule

my sister had a pair of claw's on her jeep that was mostly stock. She really liked them for dirt. I don't think she took em out on the rocks to much.

don't know about rocks either, never let em down for rocks (long story) and never span them up to heat em (brothers tires and he'd shoot me) but mud they dig nice

IMO, check your heights...42" IROK's may be comparable to 44" normal Swampers......would allow ya the 17" rims then, and what I personally think is a better tire than a "normal" swamper...

woody said:
IMO, check your heights...42" IROK's may be comparable to 44" normal Swampers......would allow ya the 17" rims then, and what I personally think is a better tire than a "normal" swamper...

Yeah, the 17's are great.

44's on 15" rims give way too much sidewall roll at trail pressure.

Heck, what do I know. Everything I tell you you head off and find a reason not to listen to me :D

Getting slammed again by a member of my own club, LSLC.

You make a great club representative Nolan.

Let's Review: You recommended coilovers, took your advice..., 35-spline outers, took your advice... Even added CTM joints for more strength. I want a bigger tire than 42" so my diff & sliders don't get pounded as much and you whine :crybaby: because I never listen?

You are just PO'ed because I didn't buy your POS. Happy Trails.

RA

Wild at Heart said:
Getting slammed again by a member of my own club, LSLC.

You make a great club representative Nolan.

Let's Review: You recommended coilovers, took your advice..., 35-spline outers, took your advice... Even added CTM joints for more strength. I want a bigger tire than 42" so my diff & sliders don't get pounded as much and you whine :crybaby: because I never listen?

You are just PO'ed because I didn't buy your POS. Happy Trails.

RA

Sure hope you are kidding. No slamming from me, just joking.

I would also consider the 17" 42 IROKS. One big reason is you can run the stock d60 brakes, a 15" rim may require modification of 1 ton brakes depending on backspacing of the rim. Also the Iroks have the benefit of side wall lug where the TSL doesn't.

Oh and since you are upgrading the ujoints to CTMs, you may want to give thought to stonger inner/out combo like a chromoly axle. WIth CTMs you may find the stock ears of the axles giving up soon than you would like since that will now be the weak point.

Sounds like a fun project, good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom