Baja Bug Trails In NM (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys! My brother is out here visiting and we were discussing baja bug trails. Do you guys know of any trails in NM or not too far out of NM?

Thank you!

Baja bug? Do you mean La Bajada trail maybe? Lots of trails in the Jemez as you know I'm sure. West mesa has lots of open trails that folks regularly run. Cedro Peak trail is a tame trail but scenic.

You're going to have to educate us on what a "baja bug trail" is.

80E13F10-69F7-4FC6-8414-43F77B6F7568.jpeg
A trail that’s fit for a Baja buggy (like the photo) to go racing around lol. Have you heard of the Baja 500? Here’s what a Baja bug looks like (see photo). It’s not his, but his will be similar when he’s done building it. A Baja bug trail is basically any off-road trail that you can haul ass on but still has technical spots. As you can probably tell by the photo, the trails are typically in the open desert. I’m thinking his best option would be down in White Sands, but I don’t know if they allow that kind of thing. So, hope that helps! Lol

Yeah, I used to have a Baja bug back in the day.

So, let me understand this; his ride isn't finished yet so it's not coming to NM and you're simply looking for trails to tool around on? Baja bugs and sand rails all hang out at the West Mesa. Lots of Pre-runners, high speed jobbers go there to test out their junk to see what falls off at speed. Home boys around here run around with a raised front end, flared front fenders, spare tire in the back with the rear tailgate removed thinking they live in San Diego, LOL!!! I bet a good jump where all four wheels leave the grounds will yield them a yard sale when they land :rofl:

He can't take that ride or any ride for that matter to White Sands nat'l monument. It's strictly a hiking area, no motorized vehicles. Last week we did manage to run along the perimeter of the White Sands missile range and you can easily drive a Baja bug at high speeds down there. It's a straight north to south drive, hardly anything to slow you down, except the cows. The cattle guards are just an excuse to get air born!

Yeah, I used to have a Baja bug back in the day.

So, let me understand this; his ride isn't finished yet so it's not coming to NM and you're simply looking for trails to tool around on? Baja bugs and sand rails all hang out at the West Mesa. Lots of Pre-runners, high speed jobbers go there to test out their junk to see what falls off at speed. Home boys around here run around with a raised front end, flared front fenders, spare tire in the back with the rear tailgate removed thinking they live in San Diego, LOL!!! I bet a good jump where all four wheels leave the grounds will yield them a yard sale when they land :rofl:

He can't take that ride or any ride for that matter to White Sands nat'l monument. It's strictly a hiking area, no motorized vehicles. Last week we did manage to run along the perimeter of the White Sands missile range and you can easily drive a Baja bug at high speeds down there. It's a straight north to south drive, hardly anything to slow you down, except the cows. The cattle guards are just an excuse to get air born!

I’m trying to get him to move out here, but he’s concerned that there isn’t anywhere to drive his Baja bug (once it’s completed) without having to drive back to San Diego or Las Vegas, NV.

Thank you for the info!

I’m trying to get him to move out here, but he’s concerned that there isn’t anywhere to drive his Baja bug (once it’s completed) without having to drive back to San Diego or Las Vegas, NV.

Thank you for the info!
He must be hardcore into the baja buggy thing to decide where to live based on available high-speed desert racing courses. There's a crap ton of dirt roads and desert here. There has to be something to meet his needs. Maybe there is a forum for kind of stuff with some locals that could give advice. The only folks I know that do this sort of thing do it on 2 wheels instead of 4.

He must be hardcore into the baja buggy thing to decide where to live based on available high-speed desert racing courses. There's a crap ton of dirt roads and desert here. There has to be something to meet his needs. Maybe there is a forum for kind of stuff with some locals that could give advice. The only folks I know that do this sort of thing do it on 2 wheels instead of 4.

That's what made me move to NM, the wheeling/camping. It sure wasn't due to the robust economic condition of the state back in '06 :bang:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom