Badlands Winch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Any experience with the 12K lb winch that Badlands puts out? Complaints I have read are the cable is a slim fit and if it gets bungled up the least bit it pops stuff off. Would like your comments.....

I was looking at them also. For this kind of application, I would probably steer clear of Harbor Freight.
Besides, it costs almost the same as the comparable Smittybilt winch.. and close enough to make me
consider just buying the Warn... if I ever get an off-road winch.

I want to do some light off-road first, to see if I might ever go for heavier trails that might get me in
real trouble.

I'm also interested in people's thoughts or experiences on this Badlands winch.

Subscribed! :popcorn:
Thanks.

If you want a winch to save your life (or car), would it be prudent to purchase it from a company that is world renown for selling the cheapest cruddiest stuff known to mankind? Although I do buy stuff at HF, you gotta draw the line at WHAT you buy there. Plastic tarp? Sure. Winch?... uhhhhhh

If you want a winch to save your life (or car), would it be prudent to purchase it from a company that is world renown for selling the cheapest cruddiest stuff known to mankind? Although I do buy stuff at HF, you gotta draw the line at WHAT you buy there. Plastic tarp? Sure. Winch?... uhhhhhh

Yeah.. that's what it is coming down to. I also worry about it getting stolen off my rig. The areas where I work, trucks have been targeted and had tailgates and catalytic converters stolen. I wonder how easy it is to quickly remove a Warn, or any, winch? I guess I'm thinking I mainly do light off-road stuff.. so it would be a lower-risk gamble having a $350 winch that would likely work just fine the 1 or 2 times I use it in the next few years.. and if it get's stolen, I'll be thinking, at least it wasn't a $1800 Warn!?

(I might still get the Warn... what do you think about a used Warn? they do sell replacement motors)

I bought a used warn and rebuilt it. Great but locally and works great. I also know a bunch of people that have run this winch with no issues

You could use a couple tamper proof nuts on both your bumper/winch. Or lock it. Only way to get it off then would be to cut off the bumper/frame. Doubt someone will try that..

Used Winch
If I were to buy a used winch, the next thing I would do after buying it would be getting it rebuilt. So that extra expense has to be factored in.

Stalling/overheating a winch can damage the motor. Most people will stall/overheat the winch several times before they learn what it's limit is. Some people never learn or understand what is happening.....and each time it stalls due to low voltage or heat, it is really hard on the motor & if it is done enough times it can permanently destroy it.

If I was faced with the choice of a brand new HF Badlands winch or a used Warn that had an unknown history (and not rebuild it), I would take the HF job and cross my fingers.

We've run the HF on our lx450 for a few years now and no complaints, other than it killed our costco battery:meh:. I feel safe with it

Look what I found in my email today!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424720772.736272.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424720788.110114.jpg

If you don't depend on your winch to work then buy HF. Not saying it won't work, but even within the same item, some HF stuff is great and some is garbage.

Well, I guess that's the point of the OP. To get opinions HF for under $300, with mixed reviews. And have yet to hear of an outright failure or trail disaster. Or go for the $1800 Warn. Factor in that I'm a total noob, and likely won't be doing anything more advanced than easy-moderate trails.,,,

And,, I'm still undecided.

Buy the warranty, don't let it sit in constant weather. Killed mine, exchanged for a new one.

I wheel my rig only a couple times a year, I don't winch much. It fits the bill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom