Bad voltage regulator (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well as it would turn out my stock factory regulator went out 5 days ago(i am guessing)
Batter was turning into a hydrogen frickrn bomb. Because my 12 volt alternator was going full tilt, putting out 17.9 amps. In turn causing the battery to spit all over.
What would you suggest for cleaning all this acid off? Damn acid burns

actually best thing is to use ammonia and water. that will nutralize all the acid. baking soda doesnt do a very good job. or buy a can of the stuff at a parts store (Autozone, Napa, etc).

I bought my voltage regulator from Napa. The first two didnt work. They upgraded me to a solid state VR part number VR607. Havent had an issue since. You need to pull the alternator and have it tested. I went with an Autozone alternator because it has a no hassles lift time warranty and at the time it was the least expensive reman'd alt. on the market. A 100 years from now if it goes bad they give to a new one for free. They also give you the option to upgrade to the next line (gold seriese, etc.) and you just pay the difference. They will do the same with the batteries they sale too.

http://local.aaca.org/bntc/tips/tips/battery2.htm

If you have the 3 wire regulator they are easy to get because they are the same as the 40 series. If you need the (6-7?) wire one I have a NOS one still in the box I can sell ya, if I can find it. I decided to go to a one wire self regulating alternator(GM) and do away with the reg.

E

Went to checker cause I am straped for cash at the moment. The new 6 plug one is exactly the same as far as I can tell. Unfortunatly did not come with a new ballast resistor, so I reused that one. So far it is good.

Funny thing I used the baking soda for the ground just in front of the cruiser. Looks like a coke deal gone bad. So I broke out some simple green. Did the job good.

Posiden what all did you have to upgrade to the alternator with the internal regulator?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom