Bad Vibration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello I have been trying to trouble shoot a vibration that starts around 50 miles per hour, and gets worse as speed progresses. I have researched this but am unable to find the source.
Has anyone else had this issue?

A few possibilities:

Wheel/tire balance is most common. Try a road force balance with Toyota cone hub and 5/150 finger plate. Can be difficult finding a shop that has equipment, and tech that knows how to use properly (many aren't trained). I use discounts tire which out of the many shops in my area, only has one has this equipment. Some Toyota Dealers have switch to this equipment for the 100, as this is a known issue.

Other possibilities are bearings (front drive shaft CV joints, spider joint or wheel/axle). Driving down hill at 50 mph shift into N. While coasting listen for the oscillating sound (wa-wa-wa-wa) of bearing needing lube or replacing.

Check front & aft propeller shafts for new damage, which many have bent it or affected balance. Note: CV will usually have a clicking sound at low speed.

Check ATF fluid and gear lube levels and condition.

Last edited:
Another data point to help the diagnosis - find a flat stretch of road, at or above the speed the vibration starts compare the effect of pushing and releasing the throttle. Do this as gently as you can - just barely moving your foot enough to coast vs maintain.

Drivetrain vibrations are typically more pronounced when accelerating or maintaining speed. Tires/wheels will vibrate more consistently.

Another gauge - do you feel the vibration through the steering wheel, your left foot or your seat?

Tire balance issue is often just one or two tires.

If in front you'll notice vibration in steering wheel and /or a little blurring in rear view mirrors image depend on vibration.

If rear tire you'll feel vibration in the seat of your pants the most.

vibration is felt in the seat and throughout the whole truck. New tires but problems were before. I checked all tire pressures already. wheel bearings could be as issue. Also the problem just started about 800 miles ago. This is good info keep it coming or if anyone else has experienced this issue

U joints, remove driveshafts and check for any play or stiffness. Leave the driveshaft off and drive with CDL on to isolate front and rear.

Im gonna chime in here... I’m experiencing similar issues but it completely goes away if I let off the accelerator. Thoughts? When I’m up to speed, everything’s fine.

Look at same stuff mentioned above, but not likely wheel/tire balance. I have had spider joints (U-joints) do just as you described, where they vibrate under load. Front drive shaft (CV joints) possible, but would hear clicking in most cases.

Look at same stuff mentioned above, but not likely wheel/tire balance. I have had spider joints (U-joints) do just as you described, where they vibrate under load. Front drive shaft (CV joints) possible, but would hear clicking in most cases.
Thanks, I’ll check the u-joints... brand new CV axles on both sides... less that 20 miles :)

Was vib present before new front drive shafts?

Not that I know of but to be honest, I just did a lot in one week... SPC UCAs, 2.5 inch OME heavy, Diff Drop, 315/75/16 tires, then new front CV axles on both sides. All of that, I never got above 50 miles an hour until today hitting the interstate. From about 40mph on I noticed it. But it smooths out and goes away when I let off the accelerator. But the slightest incline, it comes back.

So I'll take that as a no (no vib before recent work). So I'd look to the new work performed first. If front drive shaft aren't OEM, that would be first suspect. I'll also assume you properly top the front differential fluid by waiting 15 miniums to settle then re-topping. Also that you made sure drive shafts seated and locked in differential.

The diff drop would have effect on angle of forward propeller shaft (FPS). So FPS and it's universal spider joints would be my second hard look point.

I just do stock so maybe someone like @abuck99 that has done a lift and drop will shed some light here.

Just a note: I always pair new front drive shaft with new hub flange, cone washers and snap rings. Not that I think this would cause your issue, it just a good practice to protect axle teeth.

Not that I know of but to be honest, I just did a lot in one week... SPC UCAs, 2.5 inch OME heavy, Diff Drop, 315/75/16 tires, then new front CV axles on both sides. All of that, I never got above 50 miles an hour until today hitting the interstate. From about 40mph on I noticed it. But it smooths out and goes away when I let off the accelerator. But the slightest incline, it comes back.

Vibes post lift can be attributed to several things: often taller rear springs create new operating angles on the 3rd, prop shaft and ujoints will cause some minor vibes on acceleration. Also marginally possible that when you lift a truck, the propeller shaft extends at the slip joint and the engagement area is less and different; this may also cause some vibes as the worn splines have a little less area to engage.

But with your set up there is lots of room for issues: (315/75/16 tires) 35" x 12.5" Tall-wide and heavy are not easy to balance especially on stock rims that are rated for narrower aspect ratio tires. That added rolling weight puts a lot of demand on the driveline on stock gearing. That would be the first place to start. (new front CV axles) OEM or Aftermarket? Aftermarket CV's don't typically mate well with our driveline and adding lift, tire size and tire weight will make things worse for vibration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom