Bad transmission/clutch or something noise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BIG RENO AL

SILVER Star
Threads
Hello again fellow mudders,
I recently installed a 4 speed transmission in place of the 3 speed on my 1972 FJ40. The transmission is an H42 from a 1976 FJ40.
I took the cover off and inspected for anything obvious to me but I just put in new seals and went with it. The transfer case I did rebuild.
Took it out for its first drive after getting the new engine running ( this engine is a beast!) and the transmission is squealing, whining, chattering on coasts and basically sounds like a dang Banshee.
What are the most likely sources? Bearings? Gears just plain shot? Worth trying to rebuild it? This is not a normal transmission whine. It is 10X louder.
Sorry for the poor video shoot but the sound is what's important.
Thanks
-AL

I sure think so. I followed the instructions and a few threads here. But I may have done it wrong. It was my first time rebuilding a transfer case. The noise sure seems to be coming from the front of the transmission or the clutch area though.

You're listening to the noise without a floorboard in place. Straight cut gears make more noise than helical cut gears. If everything is working properly then maybe some sound deadening material on the transmission hump will calm down the noise and make it liveable.

Well you are correct that it is an open transmission/tcase and would naturally be louder that wth the hump in place. But the 3 speed that came out of it was so much quieter and if you can hear it there is a chattering or rattling when it is coasting. Especially in 2nd 3rd and 4th the whine is unnatural. I am almost sure it is forward of the tcace and seems to be at the front of the tranny maybe clutch area. If I look into the clutch inspection area can it be determined if everything is installed correctly?

Well I pulled the transmission and the transfer case as one unit this morning. Going to crack them open and see if any thing looks mis-aligned or obvious. Especially going to look at the bearing that faces the engine on the transmission. Also thought the clutch might be in wrong but I looked closely at it and it seems OK. Need to scour threads about transmission evaluation. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
-Al

Do you have a big drill you could spin the input shaft with? Like a big Ol mixing drill?

Now thats an interesting idea. I think I have an 1/2 inch drill I'll try it. I assume I'm listening for unusual noise?
-AL

Nope. I have a 1/2 inch drill but the shaft end where the pilot bearing rides is .590"

Not sure you’d hear it over the whine of a big enough drill, but was worth a shot.

It was. I got a bit excited there for a minute. Thanks for the idea!

Sounds like backlash issue, pull that t case top cover and check your idler gear!!! Out put shaft nut secure?

Nothing obvious to my untrained eye. Everything seems correct. It on its way to Valley Hybrids tomorrow.

Well I got the transmission/ transfer case back from Georg and the gears in the tcase were overly worn. He put in a much better set, resealed everything, repainted and I stabbed it back in. Night and day! Much quieter and the 4 speed is a treat to have. Now to put some serious miles on it!
Al
24517.jpeg

Georg should get Nobel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom