bad to worse.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
As many of you know I busted an axle shaft here a few weeks ago. and thanks to elucid i got me 2 new to me axle shafts.
ok well i put in new axle bearings and seals on both sides and took her for a test drive (bout 20 miles or so) everything was great! untill i downshifted... heard lots of popping and grinding so i pull over thinking i just destroyed my truck somehow check it out (make sure nothing was leaking) decide to try and make it back to the shop...

take off no problems turn radio back up some get to third gear then fourth then there it is again... this time louder and sounds like my locker isnt locking up and is just spinning... pull over jack up the driverside and turn the wheel... spun pretty freely and locker didnt lock up. try to move lots of grinding, popping, not so good sounds. turn hazards on sit on tailgate (no cell phone) watch a 100 series drive by and honk. i wave and smile since they knew they were driving a truck and knew where it came from. ANYWAYS decide to try and limp it back... lock the hubs drop it into 4wd and take off all the way back it was poping and grinding and having hell (8 mile drive back and scared for my life) get back park the truck drain the fluid... lots of metal... i knew what it was allready pop off the cover grab the ring gear and move it back and forth about a half inch.

moral of the story NEVER asume you got all the metal out.

so on that note anyoe have some thirds they wanna sell or trade for something? I would really like either some 4.56's or some 4.88's

my front 3rd member is stock open dif unit with the 3.70's in it. and nothing wrong with it at all.

below is my thread in the "WANTED" section.
https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?p=2020935#post2020935

thanks for reading my story and sorry it was so long.

Thanks,
Trent

Dude. That sucks. So what exactly was destroyed? and what did the destroying? I mean I realize the gears were toast but what else broke?

Dude. That sucks. So what exactly was destroyed? and what did the destroying? I mean I realize the gears were toast but what else broke?

carrier bearings went out and that tore up the ring and pinnion gears.

and i decided that im goin with either 4.56's or 4.88's even if i have to buy em new. so:cheers: to gears.

and even better the newexcuse to buy em!

bump for me being an idiot.

Bad carrier bearing let the r&p move enough to break an axle shaft? Is that the theory?

Are the splines on the shafts I sold you still good after driving with all that metal in there?

Kurt at cruiseroutfitters is a great source for built 3rds. He will ship you one with a new locker, drop it in.

Otherwise, keep hawkin the FS section till you find someone with some takeout 4:11 diffs. If you go this way, might want to go ahead and have the front one rebuilt before you put it in.

Also, I think it's worth letting a drivetrain shop swap the companion flange out (unless your DS matches the new one). I swapped mine out, and couldn't get the pinion bearing preload right. It kept making noise, and on the first long trip after my swap I ended up craping up a pinion bearing. I brought my shop the 3rds and they charged $40 to swap mine.

no breaking an axle shaft and me not cleaning it 100% caused the carrier to go out.

yea im sure the splines are fine.

and on the front i will def. rebuild my third if i end up keepin it. i mean no reason not to while im there.

and on the 4.11's i dont think it will be low enough for me. i pretty much decided im buying a new truck 04-05 chevy quad cab soooo.. the cruiser is gonna get some 4.88's:cheers: :cheers:

then i can pull my cruiser with my new truck:grinpimp:

ill have to call kurt later and see what im looking at.

Last edited:
Did the aussie survive all that? Tough break man.

On a side note, i put a new pinion seal on my truck about 6 months ago, and although i still get a vibe from the rearend it seems ok. My pinion nut was loose when i pulled the driveshaft, it was staked but it was loose. I just ended up putting it about a half turn past its original stake mark. As explained to me you just want to snug it up to the crush sleeve and let it go. If yours is still staked and not loose you could just reuse the stake nut and put it back the way it came out.

sorry it has teken me so long to reply i dont have internet at my apratment anymore.

But YES my aussie came out just fine. you actually cant tell it was in any sort of situation like it was. pretty durable unit i would say. I plan on buying another one and tossing it up front when i do my gears and im also gonna mod the 4wd shifter bracket that way i can have 2lo so i can still turn at the top of a hill or just in general.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom