Bad Sun Roof Gasket (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

foolforthecity

SILVER Star
Threads
I noticed the sun roof gasket was bulging while cleaning the vehicle. This is a MY2021 with 15k miles and I have used the sun roof probably less than a dozen times so I was surprised to say the least.

Has anyone else had this issue? I am wondering if I should repair or replace the gasket

I am sure the dealer would handle this as a warranty claim but I don't fully trust their competence.

I was thinking of trying to put it back in place with some bathroom grade clear silicone as an adhesive.

I am unsure what type of adhesive is used to secure the gasket from the factory.

Thoughts?

20220913_175620.jpg

Why aren't you going to dealer to replace it? It should be covered under warranty. Use it before you lose it.

Why aren't you going to dealer to replace it? It should be covered under warranty. Use it before you lose it.
Because like many LC owners on these boards I have a fanatical obsession with not allowing anyone but me to work on the vehicle :cool:

However your advice is probably the correct course of action.

I haven’t checked 2021 specifically but at least on older model years the gasket wasn’t available separately for the cruiser, though it is for the LX. Yes this sounds dumb, but that’s what is in the parts system.

So you may end up getting a new panel out of this.. but have to trust the dealer to install it correctly.

To my knowledge there isn’t any adhesive, it just wraps around the edge, and when closed the interface with the roof holds it in place. Have you used an automated car wash?

I haven’t checked 2021 specifically but at least on older model years the gasket wasn’t available separately for the cruiser, though it is for the LX. Yes this sounds dumb, but that’s what is in the parts system.

So you may end up getting a new panel out of this.. but have to trust the dealer to install it correctly.

To my knowledge there isn’t any adhesive, it just wraps around the edge, and when closed the interface with the roof holds it in place. Have you used an automated car wash?
I did wonder if it could have been from automated washes. I know they are bad but I live in the rust belt and use them at least 1x per week in the winter to keep the salt at bay.

I did wonder if it could have been from automated washes. I know they are bad but I live in the rust belt and use them at least 1x per week in the winter to keep the salt at bay.
Seems unlikely as you’d have the sunroof closed which should retain it pretty well… and this isn’t a common thing despite I’m sure a lot of people using automated washes.

If you have access to the FSM maybe try to dig up the install/repair procedure for the gasket..

Just posting the solution here in case it is helpful for anyone that has the same issue. The dealer is ordering a new panel since they come with the gasket pre-installed. Covered under warranty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom