Bad Starter diagnosis..? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1982 BJ44, 2B engine, 24v.. So, 5 months ago, I had 5 short trips, headlights, wipers, and heater going for 50 minutes, and it wouldn't start.. AAA tried a jump and replaced 1 battery, then towed me. I informed him it was 24V, but don't know if he attempted to jump me at 24.. Mechanic said starter, but it tested fine, so bought a new 24V regulator.. Remaining battery looked like it was overcharged, so replaced after getting alternator back in. When I hooked up battery, spark was so hot it fused the terminal to post as soon as I touched it. Old battery is still fully charged, so this can't be a grounded wire, right? If a hot wire was grounded, both batteries would be dead, not fully charged.(damn close to full after a week, so not a bad ground).. So, what can possibly be left here? Starter is the obvious choice, any less obvious things I can easily check?? I didn't want to leave 2 new batteries hooked up without being out there, there's always the chance of a wire getting hot and causing a cascade, at least in my mind. Electric isn't my strong suit, I'm hoping someone else had the same thing happen and resolved it. Before I replace a starter, I'd like to be sure that's what this is..

Did you hook the two batteries up in series or incorrectly in parallel?

Did you hook the two batteries up in series or incorrectly in parallel?
Nope, hooked up correctly... I'm wondering if the fusebox can isolate the ignition switch.. I can't stop thinking about a weird problem I had with a riding mower. Being able to "unplug" the ignition switch would definitely ease my paranoia.

I'd say the fusible link was blown when the roadside guy tried to jumpstart it incorrectly.

If you haven't got a test lamp with an incandescent bulb you should get one.. its the number one tool for diagnosing electrical issues in old vehicles.

Would this cause the spark issue..? I would think a blown fusable link would prevent this, not cause it..

Would this cause the spark issue..? I would think a blown fusable link would prevent this, not cause it..

I really didnt understand the 'spark issue'... a classic "no crank" fault on any older Landcruiser is the fusible link. A test lamp is your best friend, probe the ignition switched fuses and see if you have power with the key on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom