Bad spindles? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

stay the hell away from salt water from here on
Just think, if your are dealing with rust on parts you can see, just think about the inside of your body panels that you can't see. My wife and i use to live on the central coast of CA years ago.

What we use to do after driving on the beach to help remove as much of the salt spray/sand as we could, we would park our truck over 2 fresh water lawn sprinklers running full blast each time we returned from the beach.

Even doing that to help prevent rust, with that marine layer/mist you always get each morning being so close to the beach, we still ended up with rust problems.
What is all that red bearing grease doing inside the knuckle?
Ya, ive got to agree with you, It looks like he's packed the inside of his knuckle with red wheel bearing grease, instead of the correct moly grease.

This is the grease I used in both bearings and inside the knuckles during my last rebuild. The guy who helped me (long time LC owner) swore by this grease for both applications.

Amazon product ASIN B004X6V1DW
Should I be using something different inside the knuckles specifically?

I will let the pros chime in but that is the incorrect type of grease. You should be looking for a moly fortified grease. I used valvoline as reccomend in the fantastic Ottram knuckle rebuild video.

This is the grease I used in both bearings and inside the knuckles during my last rebuild. The guy who helped me (long time LC owner) swore by this grease for both applications.

Amazon product ASIN B004X6V1DW
Should I be using something different inside the knuckles specifically?
That is good for the wheel bearing grease.

The birfields need a moly additive. I use Valvoline Palladium.

Any reason to not use the same grease on both? Doesn’t it all ultimately end up getting mixed together?
No, it doesn't mix together, other than a little.

The birf's require the high pressure of a moly.

The wheel bearings typically don't like moly because of the potential for the bearing to "slide" rather than roll due to the nature of the moly.

Then you have the argument posted in thee threads multiple times about what the "right " lubricant is to use.

The FSM states a high moly content to the birfs.
and wheel bearing grease for the wheel bearings.

I personally have researched the different lubricant types and the Lucas Red N Tacky 2 is a perfect wheel bearing grease and is excellent for the wheel bearings. It is also chemically compatible with the Valvoline Palladium in the birfs, so if they DO mix, I won't kill a bus load of nuns.

You can run what you want. Will they fail? Yes, but will it be in 500 miles or 500K miles? Who knows.

I try to follow the manufacturer's instructions where I can.

There you have it.

My $0.02.

Doesn’t it all ultimately end up getting mixed together?
On both bearings and inside the birfs/knuckles?
Yes, the grease inside your knuckle housing gets all mixed together. The difference here is the fact that the upper and lower trunnion bearings used in your knuckle housing turn through a very limited arc of motion (maybe 90 degrees) so it's okay to use moly on them.

In the case of wheel bearings, moly is a no no due to the fact that it allows the ball bearings running against the inner and outer bearing races to slip on the race, instead of roll/turn on them. That slipping can, and will lead to an early failure of that bearing.

In the case of wheel bearings, moly is a no no due to the fact that it allows the ball bearings running against the inner and outer bearing races to slip on the race, instead of roll/turn on them.

Just to clarify for future readers of your post wheel bearings are tapered roller bearings not ball bearings. All other statements are correct.

Last edited:
I prefer to sandblast and use two part epoxy and topcoat with john deere blitz black. First one I did is about 10 years old and still looks good after much abuse.

1582068453437.png

1582068428601.png

ppc, You are correct, i made the mistake of writing ball bearing in my post, when i should have in fact wrote tapered roller bearing, or tapered cone bearing when referring to wheel bearings, thanks for correcting my mistake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom