bad piggy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys i've got a 74 fj55 and the thing starts,idles fine but now all of a sudden it sputters and misses under a load. I have put on a new weber, pertonix ignition, fuel filter, i rebuilt the fuel pump. The plugs look fine and were just replaced maybe 1000 miles ago, the wires,cap,rotor have less than 5000 miles and i also put a new coil on it maybe 2000 miles ago. I have a T in the fuel line before the weber for all the excess fuel pressure to return to the tank because it had way to much pressure before and the gas was running out of the carb. the pig has run fine since all of the changes until about three weeks ago then this started out of the blue. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated Thanks Kenny :beer:

IMO, ditch the t-return to the tank and install an inline pressure regulator.

I'm thinking timing issue, since it occurs under load. Vacuum advance working?

I did have a fuel press regulator on and it didnt seem to help the weber was still flooding but i may put it back on and try again, it cant hurt. I'll have to check the vac advance, timing is the next thing i am doing. i only get to really work on it 1-2 times a week, the bad part is i have rear wheel cylinders to put on and emergency shoes too, but i just had hernia surgery so i cant do any lifting. sorry started rambling Thanks guys

You could just take off the Weber, send it to Poser, and put on a nice friendly Aisen instead.

Or,

Go the non typical path, and figure out how and why things work the way they do, and adjust things accordingly...

Good luck!

And since dave mentioned me and webers again... I am looking at taking off a fully functional 38 Weber and DUI distributor to go throttle body, so I can learn all about this system first hand, from install to burning chips for the application... ;) Just needed something else on the plate...

-Steve

[quote author=Poser link=board=1;threadid=14461;start=msg135526#msg135526 date=1081468912]

Go the non typical path, and figure out how and why things work the way they do, and adjust things accordingly...

-Steve
[/quote]

BRILLIANT :D

[quote author=Poser link=board=1;threadid=14461;start=msg135526#msg135526 date=1081468912]
Or,

-Steve
[/quote]

That would mean learning something new. Dunno if'n I'd go there. :D

And, you might throw a vacuum gauge on and see if you have a leak. That, or a blown head gasket could do this, too.....

Too bad you do not have another truck dave....you could get a 38 and dui and blah blah blah, and learn all about them.... ;)

-Steve

So, true. I am still thinking that my daughter will be needing something to drive, and, maybe a not so stock (in that way) FJ55 would be a good kids car.....

One thing that you could look at - and this is sort of a left field stab - make sure your new coil is compatible with the electronic ignition system. When I converted my TR6 to electronic ign from points, I had to add in a resistor. I don't remember the finer points as to why, but it had to be done (I think there was even a warranty issue).

[quote author=IDave link=board=1;threadid=14461;start=msg135587#msg135587 date=1081472546]
So, true. I am still thinking that my daughter will be needing something to drive, and, maybe a not so stock (in that way) FJ55 would be a good kids car.....
[/quote]

Dave, you still have a few years till your daughter drives. If you want her to drive a cruiser you might start telling her You aren't sure if she can have one because it is too much car. A little reverse physc goes a long way!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom