bad noise up front (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My wife was driving our 94 cruiser and she says that when she slowed to take a corner there was a sound that she knew was not good. I asked if sounded like a grinding sound and she says it could have been. When I got to the truck it really did not want to go forward. It would reverse smoothly but was struggling in drive. I suspect a front differential problem or something. It is at the dealer now and I am awaiting the results of their inspection. I repacked the birfs about a week ago and am worried that I may be the cause of the problem. When I drained the front differential fluid to repack the birfs it was like sludge and there was a lot of metal on the drain plug. I guess what I am asking is if anyone has an thoughts on what the problem might be. Thanks for your help, sure hope that I didn't screw something up.

Toby

Check your brake caliper bolts.

If the bottom bolt comes loose you will not be able to go forward (Caliper to rim interface issues) but in reverse the caliper will "lay down" where it belongs.

Same thing happened to mine 1 week after I bought it.

thanks Terry that is exactly what it was. I gues that I didn't torgue it down when I was putting things back together. I was tired by that time. Well I will try to learn my lesson. Just hope the wife still lets me try and do work on the rig. Thanks again for your response.

Thanks Toby

It would be a good idea to check what Terry said.

I don't see how a birf. repack and fluid change (diff.) would cause any harm. A certain amount of metal (flakes not chunks) is normal.

If you are unfortunate and have been a victim of "coincidence", then I can only say "it happens". Sometimes... a completely unrelated part will fail from wear, BUT your wife will blame you for it... because you just worked on the vehicle.

I can put air in the tires, and if the alternator fails.. it my fault, because I was the last one to work on the Cruiser. Strange logic.

Let us know what the service people say.

EDIT: Well, see you found the problem. Nothing serious. Remind the Wifey how much money you saved by doing the work yourself. She'll probably go buy a new wardrobe when she finds out, but what the heck!

Penguin said:
thanks Terry that is exactly what it was. I gues that I didn't torgue it down when I was putting things back together. I was tired by that time. Well I will try to learn my lesson. Just hope the wife still lets me try and do work on the rig. Thanks again for your response.

Thanks Toby

I'm glad thats all it turned out to be. It scared the hell out of me when mine did that.

Now check to make sure your wheel bearings are tight enough after doing the birf job. Mine weren't despite getting the out the fish scales and allof that junk, Robbie was kind enough to point that out for me when doing my PHH.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom