Bad mistake - any ideas? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey - long time listener, first time caller.

I had my '04 LX470 up on the mountain earlier today when the rear view mirror (which had been loose) finally let go. I tried remounting it, but couldn't get the Philip's head screw undone with the tools I had. In the heat of the moment, just needing to get 4,000' lower than I was, I decided I would cut the electrical wire running to the mirror, figuring I could live without the mirror until I could get home and fix it...

That was a really, really, really bad call.

When I restarted it, the dash lit up like a x-mas tree. ABS, VCDS, VGRS, Brake, you name it. The shifter was locked in park. Windows don't respond. No HVAC. No tail lights. No sunroof. I manually unlocked the shifter and was still able to drive it. Got off the mountain and over to the auto parts store.

Oddly, lots of stuff still works. Door locks, stereo, side mirrors, seat controls and heater, headlights, blinkers, wipers, horn... All working.

I figured I'd blown a couple of fuses, so I pulled a few to check..

58, 59, 67, and 68 for the windows... All fine.

1 and 2 for the ABS - both good.

49 and 52 for the locks/windows - also good.

57 for VGRS - good.

22 for "IGN" - also good.

So, I'm at a loss. My biggest issue right now is there's a snowstorm coming, and I can't roll up the driver's window.

If that gd mirror is so critical to the electrical system, I really wish Toyota hadn't attached it to the windshield with the same screws I use for my eyeglasses.

If anyone has any insight into what might be going on here, I am ALL EARS.

Thank you!

you need an LX wiring diagram. I don't know where they are.
did you check all three fuse boxes?

I imagine the upper box with homelink, lexux SOS and maybe some other items I don't know about might be on that circuit.
TIS for 3 days costs some money but you could download all you want in that time frame. It is worth it to skip the searching for hours for an online pdf that may match yours.

Hopefully someone posts the EWD pdf for your year.

Can you splice it back up somehow and reset the ECU by disconnecting and reconnecting the battery after 10 mins?

Here is the 04 mirror info. Check ECU-IG1 fuse as well.

Screenshot_20221022-170915_Dropbox.jpg

Attachments

• 056 Automatic Glare–Resistant EC Mirror with Compass.pdf
    13 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Can you splice it back up somehow and reset the ECU by disconnecting and reconnecting the battery after 10 mins?
That's next... I'm unsuccessfully trying to get that philips screw out but still working on it.... I did try disconnecting the battery, but I just cut the wires apart to make sure nothing was touching, and have had the battery disconnected for about 10 mins now. Will check it in a minute.

Here is the 04 mirror info. Check ECU-IG1 fuse as well.

View attachment 3147611D

Planomateo coming through in the clutch!!!! ECU-IG1 was blown, and replacing it brought most of the stuff back. I haven't tested everything yet, but now at least I'm sure I'll find another blown fuse somewhere, and I can stop fantasizing that I fried an ECU. I'm getting ready to read that other thread... I really did search, I promise! I can't thank you all enough for the quick response.

Planomateo - dm me your venmo... Would love to buy you a beer, or 12.

Glad you're back on the road OP... I didn't know about this and definitely won't forget it if my mirror ever falls off.

Had to tighten the mirror in the LX a few months ago. Took the mirror off and tightend the mounting bracket first, then put the mirror on and it was very secure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom